cheap, neither is electricity. Not to mention the money they
save may mean the kids get new shoes, or a few presents at
Christmas.

Those new stoves with the full EPA Certification are spendy,
especially when there's a good variety of used stoves available
for less than $300.

End result...the EPA fines poor people that can't afford a
"EPA Certified" stove, and they certainly can't afford to pay
some stupid fine for keeping their family warm.

Whoa whoa whoa...

Where does it say anything about fining people? You are exaggerating and making stuff up.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You realize that most automobiles are subject to the same types of regulations, right?

Actually if you have the ability to maintain your car for 20 years it becomes a hobbyist collector and you can remove all the regulations. Cats are a waste of Horsepower.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is this only on NEW Wood Stoves? I mean its OK to have an older one?...This is a real question not a smartass comment

Now when has the government ever taken away anything the citizens bought and we're happy with...?

See if this works... "If you like your stove you can keep your stove"......LOL...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
That is not true.
Agreed. Emissions laws vary from state to state even though there are also federal laws as well. For example in NH where I'm certified vehicles built after 1995 get tested but ALL vehicles that came with a cat are checked visually to make sure they are present. So if your 1976 truck came from the factory with one it has to be there. There's no test for older stuff to make sure it's working though. OBDII connectors under the dash came out in 96 so that's the year NH decided they would start actual testing on. Here in East Tennessee where I live now there is NO emission testing or safety inspections but some large cities in TN do require it. The "20 year" rule onfire is referring to may be to register your vehicle as an antique but with that there are restrictions. Such as it only being used on weekends or going to or coming from an event. 2 different issues.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa whoa whoa...

Where does it say anything about fining people? You are
exaggerating and making stuff up.

Ben, there's an article and a video posted in the #1 post.

Watch the video. The area they're talking about is only a couple counties
south of where I live.

Also, do you mean that if they showed up at my neighbors house and saw his
old, homemade wood stove cooking away they wouldn't tell him to replace
it?

And if he said "Screw You, I'm keepin' it..now get the hell off my property!"
(which is exactly what would happen) That they wouldn't fine him for non-compliance?
The man lives on a $1300 mo. pension, so will they cover the $1000+ it costs
for a new, EPA Cert stove?

I'm for clean air too; we have some of the cleanest air in the lower 48. Sadly,
all this law (and the enforcement of it) is going to do in my county is make it
more costly for those already barely making it.

I neither exaggerated nor am I making anything up. Please don't be so quick
to accuse someone until you've made sure they're wrong.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, there's an article and a video posted in the #1 post.

Watch the video. The area they're talking about is only a couple counties
south of where I live.

Also, do you mean that if they showed up at my neighbors house and saw his
old, homemade wood stove cooking away they wouldn't tell him to replace
it?

And if he said "Screw You, I'm keepin' it..now get the hell off my property!"
(which is exactly what would happen) That they wouldn't fine him for non-compliance?
The man lives on a $1300 mo. pension, so will they cover the $1000+ it costs
for a new, EPA Cert stove?

I'm for clean air too; we have some of the cleanest air in the lower 48. Sadly,
all this law (and the enforcement of it) is going to do in my county is make it
more costly for those already barely making it.

I neither exaggerated nor am I making anything up. Please don't be so quick
to accuse someone until you've made sure they're wrong.

WHAT are you talking about?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outright banning of wood stoves is next. What this is, is another attack on our freedom AND an attack on self-sufficient living. To heat your home "off the grid" is a major part of most preparedness plans. The ability to cook and keep warm without being connected to "the grid" is vital to many Americans freedom. An outright ban on wood burning stoves is coming.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys I give up. I really do. You continue to overreact and just flat out make stuff up. I cannot argue against such foolishness. Have a good day.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys I give up. I really do. You continue to overreact and just flat out
make stuff up. I cannot argue against such foolishness. Have a good day.

Ben, did you happen to hear the video from 00:10 to 00:20? Inspectors are going out,
and a possible $1000 fine. Even I could hear it.

Who's making stuff up here?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
So is this only on NEW Wood Stoves? I mean its OK to have an older one?...This is a real question not a smartass comment

Actually, in the Puget Sound, per the video, they can monitor your emissions, and fine you $1,000 for exceeding the limits - in essence forcing you to either buy a new stove, or stop using your old stove. It is not a far cry for the EPA to do that nationally. But then I'd never ever anticipate that from them, after all the government loves us.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.. yep, pre-ban stoves will be grandfathered...

If you like your current health insurance, you can keep it, period. And your doctor too.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
From the EPA website: "The draft revisions, which are soon to be proposed, would apply to new heaters ONLY and would not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoples’ homes".

The way I understand it, if you wanted to buy a new stove it would have to meet the new standards. Manufacturers would only sell stoves that meet new standards, thus it should have almost zero effect on consumers.

All gov. limiting regulations start off with the big lie. They slip something in like only affecting new stoves. Then the amendments quietly slide in untill they achieve their true goal. Like banning all wood stoves. Look at seat belt regulations. They started as only applying to car manufactures. Then the amendments slid in till it finally became a $75+ ticket feast for the road tax collectors.
Just think of all we could save by dumping thr EPA! Frank...
Eagle 1   700.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzy,the libs dont watch the videos or read the entire articles that get posted.They only read the article title or the video title,and then pass judgement.It requires to much work for them to watch or read.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzy,the libs dont watch the videos or read the entire articles that get posted.They only read the article title or the video title,and then pass judgement.It requires to much work for them to watch or read.

Pee on them,It's a Family friendly site!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Agreed. Emissions laws vary from state to state even though there are also federal laws as well. For example in NH where I'm certified vehicles built after 1995 get tested but ALL vehicles that came with a cat are checked visually to make sure they are present. So if your 1976 truck came from the factory with one it has to be there. There's no test for older stuff to make sure it's working though. OBDII connectors under the dash came out in 96 so that's the year NH decided they would start actual testing on. Here in East Tennessee where I live now there is NO emission testing or safety inspections but some large cities in TN do require it. The "20 year" rule onfire is referring to may be to register your vehicle as an antique but with that there are restrictions. Such as it only being used on weekends or going to or coming from an event. 2 different issues.
Here in Maryland, if you are 65 and drive a vehicle less than 5000 miles a year, you are exempt from the emission test. The loop hole is you can own more than one car and that is 5000 per car. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
No emissions test here on cars 20 years or older.A car I use to have as soon as it hit 20 I pulled the cat off and it ran much better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread