EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves | Off The Grid News

Written by: Tara Dodrill Politics October 2, 2013

Wood-burning stoves offer warmth and enhance off-grid living options during cold weather months, but the tried-and-true heating devices now are under attack by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves. The regulations limit the amount of ā€œairborne fine-particle matterā€ to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air. The current EPA regulations allow for 15 micrograms in the same amount of air space.

Most of the wood stoves currently nestled inside cabins and homes from coast-to-coast donā€™t meet the new environmental standard. The EPA launched a ā€œBurn Wiseā€ website to help convince the public that the new regulations were needed.

Trading in an old stove for a newer stove isnā€™t allowed.

ā€œReplacing an older stove with a cleaner-burning stove will not improve air quality if the older stove is reused somewhere else,ā€ the website says. ā€œFor this reason, wood stove change out programs usually require older stoves to be destroyed and recycled as scrap metal, or rendered inoperable.ā€

In some areas of the country, local governments have gone further than the EPA and banned not just the sale of such stoves, but the usage of old stoves ā€“ and even the usage of fireplaces. That means that even if you still have a stove or a fireplace, you canā€™t burn it for fear of a fine. Puget Sound, Washington, is one such location.

Burn Wise is a partnership program associated with the EPA that is tasked with emphasizing the ā€œimportance of burning the right wood, the right way, in the right stove.ā€ Information shared on the website operated by the federal government also states that both state and local agencies are pursuing ways to improve air quality that relate to wood-burning stoves.

The overall goal of the EPA Burn Wise program is to educate both local governmental agencies and citizens about the need for more ā€œcleaner-burningā€ in the marketplace. Three of the most recent highlighted articles and webinars on the EPA Burn Wise website include details about a voluntary wood burning fireplace program, strategies for reducing residential wood some in state, tribal, and local communities, and a recording entitled, ā€œReducing Residential Wood Some: Is it Worth it?ā€

The EPA also has compiled a list of ā€œapprovedā€ stoves.

According to a Washington Times review of the wood stove ban, the most dangerous aspect of the EPA proposed guidelines is the one-size-fits-all approach to the perceived problem. The same wood burning stove rules would apply to both heavily air-pollution laden major cities and far cleaner rural regions with extremely cooler temperatures. Families living in Alaska, or off the grid in wilderness area in the West, will most likely have extreme difficulty remaining in their cold, secluded homes if the EPA wood stove rules are approved.

The Times further said that wood burning stoves put less airborne fine-particle manner in the air than is present from secondhand some in a closed vehicle. When an individual smokes inside a car with the windows up, passengers are reportedly exposed to approximately 4,000 micrograms of soot per cubic meter.

Wrote the Timesā€™ editorial board:

ā€œAlaskaā€™s 663,000 square miles is mostly forested, offering residents an abundant source of affordable firewood. When county officials floated a plan to regulate the burning of wood, residents were understandably inflamed. ā€˜Everybody wants clean air. We just have to make sure that we can also heat our homes,ā€™ state Rep. Tammie Wilson told the Associated Press. Rather than fret over EPAā€™s computer-model-based warning about the dangers of inhaling soot from wood smoke, residents have more pressing concerns on their minds such as the immediate risk of freezing when the mercury plunges.ā€

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's next our bbq grills.
none of us would be here if not for the fireplace,grill,woodburning stovesor hibachi's
darnit leave us alone already
thankyouverymuch.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess its alright for us to breathe their chemtrail garbage though,isnt that nice.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont see what the big deal is? Just like how cars must meet certain emissions and MPG standards, new wood burning stoves must meet standards too.

From the EPA website: "The draft revisions, which are soon to be proposed, would apply to new heaters ONLY and would not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoplesā€™ homes".

So, you can keep your old wood stove as long as you want. If you wanted to go buy a new wood stove, the new stove would already comply with the new standards. Thus, this will not affect consumers in any way shape or form. If you were a manufacturer of wood stoves, then you might have a reason to complain.

Otherwise, this article is nothing more than propaganda for and by people who want any reason possible to complain about the Government.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I dont see what the big deal is? Just like how cars must meet certain emissions and MPG standards, new wood burning stoves must meet standards too.

From the EPA website: "The draft revisions, which are soon to be proposed, would apply to new heaters ONLY and would not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoplesā€™ homes".

So, you can keep your old wood stove as long as you want. If you wanted to go buy a new wood stove, the new stove would already comply with the new standards. Thus, this will not affect consumers in any way shape or form. If you were a manufacturer of wood stoves, then you might have a reason to complain.

Otherwise, this article is nothing more than propaganda for and by people who want any reason possible to complain about the Government.
So how much big government would it take to offend YOU ? If they shut down ALL of your favorite detecting sites for some obscure reason ? What if they told you you have to turn in your car to a government approved car dealership and buy one that they have deemed to be more in line with their policies ? How about if they make cash obsolete and tell you your paycheck will now be deposited directly into a government account to be disbursed as THEY see fit depending on your needs and any extra will go into the general fund for those less fortunate ? Decide what you're own personal line in the sand is and grow a pair and defend it or ALL of these things could be coming to a neighborhood near you... So let me get this straight, wood stoves are now bad. But nuclear power plants that could kill all life on earth if something goes really really wrong like the fiasco in Japan are good.. OK got it.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So how much big government would it take to offend YOU ? If they shut down ALL of your favorite detecting sites for some obscure reason ? What if they told you you have to turn in your car to a government approved car dealership and buy one that they have deemed to be more in line with their policies ? How about if they make cash obsolete and tell you your paycheck will now be deposited directly into a government account to be disbursed as THEY see fit depending on your needs and any extra will go into the general fund for those less fortunate ? Decide what you're own personal line in the sand is and grow a pair and defend it or ALL of these things could be coming to a neighborhood near you... So let me get this straight, wood stoves are now bad. But nuclear power plants that could kill all life on earth if something goes really really wrong like the fiasco in Japan are good.. OK got it.

Why are you using strongly exaggerated examples as your counter argument?

Show me any instance of ACTUAL examples similar to what you are posting above.

They are all "what ifs". Forgive me if I do not get worked up over the "what ifs" in life...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Why are you using strongly exaggerated examples as your counter argument?

Show me any instance of ACTUAL examples similar to what you are posting above.

They are all "what ifs". Forgive me if I do not get worked up over the "what ifs" in life...
My apologies if you don't "get" the big picture. You see wood stoves as a minor issue. Ask folks in Northern NH, Vermont, Maine, etc if wood stoves should be regulated by the government. This news about trying to regulate wood stoves is not a "what if". They are DOING it. If it dosn't affect you personally that's great but what if the next BS ruling does ? Then will you get pissed ? That was my point but you seem to have missed it. How about if they suddenly decide that everyone on the odd numbered side of the street has to pay double on their property taxes ? Do you shrug it off because you're on the even numbered side ? The government is picking away at us bit by bit. Have you ever heard the old saying about how to eat an elephant ? PS... it's not my fault you can't seen to see what I'm trying to say with these examples. I didn't say that ALL of these ridiculous things were going to happen today or even ever. They were examples I gave to try to make you think. I can see now it failed.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My apologies if you don't "get" the big picture. You see wood stoves as a minor issue. Ask folks in Northern NH, Vermont, Maine, etc if wood stoves should be regulated by the government. This news about trying to regulate wood stoves is not a "what if". They are DOING it. If it dosn't affect you personally that's great but what if the next BS ruling does ? Then will you get pissed ? That was my point but you seem to have missed it. How about if they suddenly decide that everyone on the odd numbered side of the street has to pay double on their property taxes ? Do you shrug it off because you're on the even numbered side ? The government is picking away at us bit by bit. Have you ever heard the old saying about how to eat an elephant ? PS... it's not my fault you can't seen to see what I'm trying to say with these examples. I didn't say that ALL of these ridiculous things were going to happen today or even ever. They were examples I gave to try to make you think. I can see now it failed.

Im still trying to understand why the regulation of wood stoves is a problem? How does this affect anyone negatively (besides wood stove manufacturers)?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still trying to understand why the regulation of wood stoves is a problem? How does this affect anyone negatively (besides wood stove manufacturers)?

So is this only on NEW Wood Stoves? I mean its OK to have an older one?...This is a real question not a smartass comment

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So is this only on NEW Wood Stoves? I mean its OK to have an older one?...This is a real question not a smartass comment

The way I understand it, if you wanted to buy a new stove it would have to meet the new standards. Manufacturers would only sell stoves that meet new standards, thus it should have almost zero effect on consumers.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The way I understand it, if you wanted to buy a new stove it would have to meet the new standards. Manufacturers would only sell stoves that meet new standards, thus it should have almost zero effect on consumers.

Oh Ok....Well, I guess that isnt as bad as BANNING the old ones. I was overthinking this a bit mcuh.

Thanks!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Oh Ok....Well, I guess that isnt as bad as BANNING the old ones. I was overthinking this a bit mcuh.

Thanks!
Yep you're fine. Except when you go to buy a new one and it costs 3 times as much as they used to. Maybe now there will be a whole new market for "pre-ban" wood stoves though like when they tried to ban "assault" weapons... I wonder if they will have to have date codes now so we know if they were built before or after the "ban".. I wonder if they will kick our doors in and arrest us if we illegally modify our EPA approved wood stoves.. Gotta love those new EPA approved gas cans. You know, the ones you can't pour gas out of without spilling it all over the place and causing more harm than the old ones did ? Have you seen what people are getting for old style gas cans on Ebay now ? Seriously.. What a freakin joke all of this is.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep you're fine. Except when you go to buy a new one and it costs 3 times as much as they used to. Maybe now there will be a whole new market for "pre-ban" wood stoves though like when they tried to ban "assault" weapons... I wonder if they will have to have date codes now so we know if they were built before or after the "ban".. I wonder if they will kick our doors in and arrest us if we illegally modify our EPA approved wood stoves.. Gotta love those new EPA approved gas cans. You know, the ones you can't pour gas out of without spilling it all over the place and causing more harm than the old ones did ? Have you seen what people are getting for old style gas cans on Ebay now ? Seriously.. What a freakin joke all of this is.

You realize that most automobiles are subject to the same types of regulations, right?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you're fine. Except when you go to buy a new one and it costs 3 times as much as they used to. Maybe now there will be a whole new market for "pre-ban" wood stoves though like when they tried to ban "assault" weapons... What a freakin joke all of this is.

Yea....I wont be overpaying for that...Im Old School anyway...I wouldnt buy a modern one made of cheap metals for 3 times the price...the tree huggers can keep that shiii.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For a lot of folks up in my region a wood stove is their only
source of heat in the home, and with a permit you can go cut
enough firewood for yourself to last all winter. Propane ain't
cheap, neither is electricity. Not to mention the money they
save may mean the kids get new shoes, or a few presents at
Christmas.

Those new stoves with the full EPA Certification are spendy,
especially when there's a good variety of used stoves available
for less than $300.

End result...the EPA fines poor people that can't afford a
"EPA Certified" stove, and they certainly can't afford to pay
some stupid fine for keeping their family warm.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You realize that most automobiles are subject to the same types of regulations, right?
You realize that we're talking about burning wood right ? Not gasoline with all of it's toxic additives and not in the huge volumes that cars do right ? And that ONE large forest fire of the magnitude that used to happen regularly out West long before cars were even invented produces more wood smoke than a whole lot of wood burning stoves. And that diesel trucks, buses, heavy equipment, and things of that nature that are the biggest polluters are exempt from emissions inspections in most states right ? pssst.. don't get onto the subject of cars. You will lose badly. I am State certified to perform emissions inspections in NH, have been a professional mechanic working on cars, trucks, heavy equipment and aircraft for 40+ years and spent the last 6 years prior to retiring managing an auto salvage yard. One of the first 10 yards in NH to be certified by the state EPA as an approved "Green Yard" operation. Somewhere online there are pictures of me getting my award and the banner for the yard from the Governor of NH. So it would be in your best interest not to "go there". Slightly off topic, do you know what the most hazardous material in your car is according to the EPA ? The little metal "pill" full of Mercury that makes a connection and causes the little light to go on when you open the hood of your car.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread