Why do people post certain things?

G

grimm1970

First off, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but why do people post things like "Today I found 4 lincoln pennies a nickel and some pop tabs"? Or they will post the junk that they found on a search along with "oh well".
Honestly I really don't care, but just was wondering. They can post whatever they want to. That is what this fourm is for.

But they way I look at it, I would only post my finds is something unusual was found or something unusual happned, maybe if I found some silver or gold, or found a lot of stuff.

What do you think?

Thanks.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with you overall, but "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

Your post probably belongs in the "discussion" forum.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean, but if you remember when you first started detecting you might recall your first finds. It didn't matter what they were, you were proud that you and your detector actually found something that was hidden. Sometimes it takes a while for this feeling to wear off (I wish it never did). Personally, I only post if I have some gold, silver, something old or interesting to show.

HH!
TBGO

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I like to see it all.... I dont care what they are posting as long as they are out there digging and finding.
I have been at this hobby a long time...There have been times when I hit the mother load and then weeks without anything.......so when I see other more experienced guys who are working it as hard as I do and they only find a pulltab....then thats ok. Gives me hope. Everyone gets excited over their finds...even if its just a dollars worth of clad. This hobby is so much more than "Who finds the best or the most", but who is getting out and just having fun.....
I like to watch the newbies also...When I see someone who has consistantly dug junk and then they hit something big...I love that...because I knew they were digging junk for a long time and didnt give up.....

....I think it works both ways....those that have found really big treasure....you wont see it posted either....

Maybe thats why Treasurenet is such a growing site...because we have a great group of people here who support and encourage each other,laugh off the junk finds together and dont care if we post goofy finds.....other sites make you feel like you need to find a Hope Diamond every week just to belong to the club....

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
The Beep Goes On said:
I know what you mean, but if you remember when you first started detecting you might recall your first finds. It didn't matter what they were, you were proud that you and your detector actually found something that was hidden. Sometimes it takes a while for this feeling to wear off (I wish it never did). Personally, I only post if I have some gold, silver, something old or interesting to show.

HH!
TBGO

Well said! Ditto!!

HH 8) surfrat

T

TreasureTales

It's all good, in my opinion. If it isn't interesting to me, I move to the next topic.

It can do a lot of harm to somebody when they feel uncomfortable posting their stuff. We all have to start somewhere and we all like some encouragement. I see nothing wrong with it. And who is to determine what is "junk" or "unusual?" If I post something and some guy tells me it's not unusual or it's junk, I'm going to wonder why in heck I'm here. Maybe I'm just here to praise others and ignore my own work? I don't think so. C'mon, let's not get into the grading of stuff, there are a couple other categories on TNet where that is appropriate - Best Of TreasureNet being one of them. That's where the really unusual or valuable stuff goes. Today's Finds is just that - stuff found today (or thereabouts).

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I understand, but.... I love to read this forum and it is entertaining!

Who cares what people post! This forum is "Today's finds" - so people post what they found today - good or bad.

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
I can take to bad with the good. At least it makes me feel like im not the only one digging trash at times. Now let me go I have a tin can to post. >:( :o ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, the problem I have (and I'm sure others do too), is trying to give a creative response to some posts.
I mean lets face it, after awhile the "way to go" and "nice finds" gets a repetitive. I guess it's also a way to show the poster that you did in fact view their posting.
I also notice a lot of the responses clearly show that the reader never actually fully read the post, and put a reply that clearly reflects that.
Just my 2 cents. (wheat, of course) ;D
-MM-

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Personally, I haven't posted most of this winter because of that very reason, I haven't found anything really that interesting. But now at the end of winter, I regret that I never posted that handful of clad and the little heart necklace or the few other meager finds, because I've missed out on being a part of the forum with my little finds, no matter how lame they may be.

T

TreasureTales

madfranks said:
Personally, I haven't posted most of this winter because of that very reason, I haven't found anything really that interesting. But now at the end of winter, I regret that I never posted that handful of clad and the little heart necklace or the few other meager finds, because I've missed out on being a part of the forum with my little finds, no matter how lame they may be.

It's not too late, dig out the stuff and post it. C'mon, it's all good.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
There is a spot to post your best finds. Its right under Todays Finds.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
madfranks said:

" I've missed out on being a part of the forum"

Very well put.

all have a good un.....................

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I may not post everything but, man
sometimes I gota just throw something out there just to
remain active in the forums

Hillbilly bread

Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT , Coin Master & my nose<><
Todays finds is just that good or bad. If alls I saw on hear is great stuff I might get discouraged or others might to. I like to see all. I posted the other day with pics of just change & some kids charms. Hillbilly Bread<><

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it this way. If you were out detecting with a friend, wouldn't you, at least at the end of the day, show the person or people you went with, the items you found?? Even if it was all junk, you would share with them. Same thing here, you're sharing with friends and they all understand a less-than-lucrative day but they also can identify with just getting out there. Enjoy their posts, they are sharing with you as any other friend would.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Grimm 1970... you dont sound like a jerk. :)

I see you have made only 7 posts... and hopefully well on your way to 700!

The longer you stay here the longer you'll see that with SO many forums, and SO many people finding SO many things that you'll learn to look, respond if you like, and get on to the next post! Some posts have 1003 views and only 3 responses!

Some folk here are "snowed in" and live through the good AND bad finds vicariously. :) I love showing what I find to folks, and don't want them to respond if they are just throwing atta-boys around to prove they read it. I can see how many times it's been looked at!

Treasurenet is first and formost a research site for treasure hunters... even your opinion about a wheat cent and how to clean can be important to someone.

The fact that so many people has responded to this post should be evidence enough... ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
packerbacker said:
I look at it this way. If you were out detecting with a friend, wouldn't you, at least at the end of the day, show the person or people you went with, the items you found?? Even if it was all junk, you would share with them. Same thing here, you're sharing with friends and they all understand a less-than-lucrative day but they also can identify with just getting out there. Enjoy their posts, they are sharing with you as any other friend would.

I think you really nailed it. From being in this forum for a while ....I tend to look at everyone here like my neighbor or friend ....So we share alot of things here that normally we wouldnt in a cold stiffer forum....we all act like we live in the same neighborhood .....so if I find rusty junk....you all are going to hear about it here first ....and if I find a pile of gold ....you all are getting a postcard :)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first finds with my metal detector was 17 cents in clad along with about a dozen pieces of trash. Man was I stoked to have pulled out a dime,nickle and two pennies out of my front yard. Had I been a member of T'NET then I sure would have posted it. How do I know? I still have the coins in a baggy mark with the date and locations along with first finds.

Ed D.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I figure it's all good if you find it. Ten thousand posts about clad & trash - ok, where's the harm? None? That's right! Especially in this weather, I'm real glad to read about someone beach hunting! Oh, and just a little bit jealous, too! Aren't we all?

Tourezrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread