If Digging In Graveyards Is Frowned Upon Then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the hell do you call this crap- Graves at Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery reportedly damaged by hea - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1474713605.169598.242181938605&type=1&theater

Reported Damage at Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery

994416_10152134647863606_73304226_n.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.... I most certainly would have someone by the shorthairs and I mean quickly and hard. Outside of an emergency what the hell is going on there?

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowest bidder...
So sick of incompetence lately. To not even make arrangements to carefully move the markers before driving the equipment in...reeks of stupidity.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Things like that are just enough to push a crazy like me over the edge...I am feelin'...you don't want to know how I feel.

CHELTENHAM, Md. (WJLA) - Members of the military community are furious after a veteran's cemetery in Prince George's County was damaged.

Construction equipment moved headstones and drove over plots at the Cheltenham Veteran's Cemetery along Route 301, and while families are outraged, officials say there was nothing malicious over what happened.

Family members posted pictures of damaged grave sites to Facebook after rushing to the cemetery Tuesday morning. One after another, families discovered the grass on graves dug up.

"Not only are all these people here veterans, they are our loved ones and they should be respected," family member Colleen Spellacy said.

Officials who oversee the cemetary say it was nothing malicious and nothing criminal. They say a longtime worker driving a backhoe simply made a mistake.

However, Edward Chow, Maryland's Secretary of Veterans Affairs, says that the mistake was unacceptable.

"We will continually train our staff," Chow said. "Even a 20-year person who has been employed with us made a mistake."

That's no comfort to family members whose loved ones are buried at Cheltenham, though, who say that the damage looks like no accident.

Workers came back with backhoes filled with dirt that started making things right again, but for people like Carl Brown and Carol Milikan - who buried her husband here last year - it's little consolation.

"This is a resting place for our nation's heroes - the people who served our country with honor," Brown said. "They deserve to be in a place of honor."

Mad_AS_HELL

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
I was so furious that I had to check out google maps from overhead. There was a lot of room to move any kind of construction equipment from the N.E going in.
All I have to say is that this is the most disrespectful thing I've seen in years.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The gov doesnt care when theyre alive,think theyre going to care when their passed away.Accidental my azz.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like that was run over and over and over, then over again, to make tracks like that. An accident is not something that is repeated over, and over. This was a pure lack of respect period.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thinking a Drone Strike or Cruise Missile against that "Construction Company" would be nice; WILL look into a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, too... Para-Legal.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That operator would have been yanked out of that back hoe so fast he would not know what hit him.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! It is a MARYLAND Construction Company; CLASS ACTION Lawsuit would have to be initiated by a resident of Maryland (I am from Virginia); Feds (Vet Affairs) could provide Fed Attorney or two. Since it is just "emotional" injuries for families of Vets, (physical damages were "repaired")... need MARYLAND Attorney or two (BEST to be military vets, who WOULD "understand" & pursue). HA!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO! It is a MARYLAND Construction Company; CLASS ACTION Lawsuit would have to be initiated by a resident of Maryland (I am from Virginia); Feds (Vet Affairs) could provide Fed Attorney or two. Since it is just "emotional" injuries for families of Vets, (physical damages were "repaired")... need MARYLAND Attorney or two (BEST to be military vets, who WOULD "understand" & pursue). HA!
Yeah, I'm from Maryland originally. My ancestors go way, way, back in the Charles and PG county, Md. area. I was doing some family research and happened upon this atrocity while doing so. None of my family are buried there though. I hope those responsible get their just due.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it was a mistake...we all make them...
why not wait to see what the construction company does to remedy the accident rather than threaten and insult.

this thread reminds me of the stolen flags from that veterans cementry...big news story...cops in an uproar...everyone threatening to do harm to the culprit...

then...sneaky cams catch the culprit in the act....some ground hog loves the colors...and steals the flags as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you Effing Serious??...The Workers probally dont speak spanish...but still..they had to knwo what they were doing

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
right...some undocumented workers highjack a backhoe and purposely knock down veterans headstones...I must have missed that in the read...oh wait.

here is the first sentence in the picture gallery...I know pictures are easier to read...

"
A bulldozer mistakenly damaged dozens of graves at a Maryland veterans cemetery..."

even more..."Workers came to the cemetery on what should have been a day off to clean up and repair the grounds"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread