I thought about it,I dont want to but,Im left with little choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
He's going after triple damages,plus lawyers fees,so I'm thinking somewhere around 65,000 to 90,000

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is an "illegal apartment"?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Time to go back to sleep davest,you know you get a headache if you think to much:laughing7:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was and is a serious question. You've had a place to live in, he didn't toss you out, it didn't burn down and destroy all your things or harm any of your family, it would seem the only entity harmed was the municipality that it was built in and they would levy fines and set a period in which the place would have to be bought up to code. Of course, no one could live there nor could the place be sold until it met livability standards. Here in sunny down here it would be the Southern Building Code Congress regulations.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It was and is a serious question. You've had a place to live in, he didn't toss you out, it didn't burn down and destroy all your things or harm any of your family, it would seem the only entity harmed was the municipality that it was built in and they would levy fines and set a period in which the place would have to be bought up to code. Of course, no one could live there nor could the place be sold until it met livability standards. Here in sunny down here it would be the Southern Building Code Congress regulations.
It could still be sold without being up to code, just maybe illegal to live in until fixed...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It could still be sold without being up to code, just maybe illegal to live in until fixed...

Close,it is illegal to rent it until it is up to code.But this place will never pass code because the ceilings are to low.

You've had a place to live in, he didn't toss you out,

He couldnt toss me out because as soon as he tried he would of been sued for renting an illegal apartment.By law I didnt have to pay him one dime in rent.By law he has to pay me back every penny that I gave him in rent money.Davest youre defending a slum lord that doesnt care about anybody except himself.The people that wanted to buy the house even saw through his bull when they first met him.I had a nice little talk with them,they know whats up.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Close,it is illegal to rent it until it is up to code.But this place will never pass code because the ceilings are to low.

He couldnt toss me out because as soon as he tried he would of been sued for renting an illegal apartment.By law I didnt have to pay him one dime in rent.By law he has to pay me back every penny that I gave him in rent money.Davest youre defending a slum lord that doesnt care about anybody except himself.The people that wanted to buy the house even saw through his bull when they first met him.I had a nice little talk with them,they know whats up.
How high are the ceilings? The purchasers still want it knowing this?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The ceilings are maybe 7 feet,I'm 6 foot,probably bang my head if I jumped lol.They still wanted it even though technically it is considered condemned.Nice people but pretty foolish.they'll easily have to put 100k into it,no joking.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Why is the ceiling so low? I assume this is a duplex?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope just a regular house with a separate entrance to the basement where the apartment is.the piping is also exposed on the ceiling which is also illegal,if covered it would bring the ceiling down even more.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no, I'm not defending a slum lord, I asked a question about how you were harmed by him renting to you, just about the same thing a magistrate or judge would do. It's not like he
made you an indentured servant or paid you in scrip or made you live in company housing or you wouldn't have a job.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't the mods notice the deliberate baiting going on here on this thread by one of the usual suspects?

ANYONE???

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you accusing me of "baiting"? I asked a question and in response to RJCs last question I will ask, "What would you call tolerating an "illegal" act for a period of 7 years, when you know what you are tolerating is illegal?

I'll give you a hint. It starts with "abetting".

Look, lawyers aren't dumb on either side and they'll ask the same question which would be, "Why did you continue to stay in a residence that you knew, through your own research and filing of a dropped lawsuit, that you knew was illegal?" "were you forced into staying there?" "

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How many times do I have to repeat myself davest before it sinks in.Look on craigslist at the prices of apartments in the concord,lexington,stow,sudbury area of Mass.Not being able to afford to move forced me to stay.Get it through your head.You must be a slumlord,because you sure as hell stick up for one.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
are you accusing me of "baiting"? I asked a question and in response to RJCs last question I will ask, "What would you call tolerating an "illegal" act for a period of 7 years, when you know what you are tolerating is illegal?

I'll give you a hint. It starts with "abetting".

Look, lawyers aren't dumb on either side and they'll ask the same question which would be, "Why did you continue to stay in a residence that you knew, through your own research and filing of a dropped lawsuit, that you knew was illegal?" "were you forced into staying there?" "

Yes.

To answer the question, if you have no other viable options, it is a whole other ball game than if you are wealthy. If you have no option but staying there or being homeless, abetting is not part of the equation. It is survival.

When you ask and demand that the situation be resolved, and the landlord takes no action, you DO have rights. There comes a "breaking point" and apparently RJC has reached his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread