Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got this Email.

I know it's a Scam, because I have never dealt with Chase.

But if you have. it's still probably not a good idea to click the link provided.
and call your bank instead.
=====================================
=====================================

[FONT=&quot]
ChaseNew.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Dear Chase Bank Customer,[/FONT]

We recently have determined that different computers have tried to log in to your account. Multiple password failures automatically places your account on hold.
We now need you to re-confirm your account information to us.

To remove limitations from your account click on the following link:

[ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Login to Customer Central[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]April 21 2014[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ] - we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitely. We are currently investigating this issue, if it is a system error, you may disregard this message. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We appreciate your prompt attention to this important online security notice.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

FYI Googling the Email address it came from (smrfc@ emailonline .chase.com ) brought up this

Chase Bank Fake Email Scam

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I receive a lot of these type of emails from what appear to be reputable companies. Nearly all of them are filtered out by my security/virus protection software (ESET | Antivirus, Internet Security Software & Virus Protection) with a big "potential phishing email" banner put at the top and they're put in my Junk Mail folder (I use Outlook 2013).

What a lot of folks may not realize, is that you can hover your mouse arrow over a "link" and it will display the URL either over as a bubble or at the bottom of the email software in the Status line. Understanding what you're looking at can be a big help.

mailtodemo.jpg

i.e. hovering over a phishing email address from say... Chase Bank, unless it shows precisely something like [email protected] vs [email protected] it is usually a dead giveaway as a phishing email. The last two characters in the URL are normally a good indication of what country it is being sent to. in this case the "hu" would be hungry. I see them from ru (Russia), it (Italy) and a number from places like somilia, and many other African countries.

One more way, if you are unsure and want to look further, right clicking on an email (or webpage for that matter) an option usually appears that says "View Source". Most non tech folks would find this overwhelming, but with a little bit of reading and reasoning through the code, oddities can show up. To many to go through, but after a time, you get use to what's normal, and what likely is not.

When I do receive these, if I haven't seen them before, I forward them to [email protected] where xxxx is the company being portrayed. In the above case, I would forward to [email protected].
fraud@ seems to be a pretty common mailbox at most reputable companies.

Another thing that can help, for under $10 a year, you can get your own URL (address) for a website, hosted. As part of the hosting you get a number of email addresses, usually a minimum of 5, but most are nearly unlimited. I do this and have mailboxes that I use strictly for personal contact as in Family. No one gets that email except friends and family. I have others that we use for research and buying. An example would be like my wife is an avid coupon user, for this I gave her a mailbox of [email protected]. I provide mailboxes for any family member, ie, my son, daughter-in-law, cousins, etc. Doing this drastically cuts down on junk email on those accounts.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Watch out on the coupon thing ... most require you to use their "special" software to print their coupons. The printing software is where the payload is ... and without it the coupons generally won't print.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out on the coupon thing ... most require you to use their "special" software to print their coupons. The printing software is where the payload is ... and without it the coupons generally won't print.

Agreed Chadeaux. Fortunetly for me, I have over 5 PCs for just my wife and I. I have one set up specifically for her couponing and it doesn't share the home network accessibility. Generally about every 2 years I upgrade mine and my wifes' PC and they rotate to backups. Her couponing one is a 3rd tier rotation and will likely not get changed until it dies.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get these from banks I don't even do business with, as well!
I also get them from Paypal, Ebay, and others from time to time.

NEVER CLICK ANYTHING!
Even if it is a legit email.......
If it truly a legit email from, say Paypal or your bank, you will be able to go to their secured site, log in there,
and access whatever "info" they are wanting you to be aware of.

DON'T CLICK ANY EMAIL LINKS! Just don't do it!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jeff!! Thanks for the heads up!! Interesting!! I deal with Chase and will contact them to see what this is all about!! Hope you are well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey jeff!! Thanks for the heads up!! Interesting!! I deal with Chase and will contact them to see what this is all about!! Hope you are well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

They probably knew about it before Jeff did.

Anyhow, Pat hit the nail on the head. I do computer security. Don't open the email, just delete it.

IMPORTANT: If you use Outlook or any other email program, ALWAYS turn off the "preview pane" --- if you can see the email in the preview pane, you have opened it. If it is infected, now, so are you. PERIOD. There is NO safe way to preview an infected email message ... with the possible exception of running your email program from a sandbox or virtual machine. Even that isn't completely safe today.

IMPORTANT TOO: As an old carpenter once told me: "You gotta be smarter than the tools you use." i.e. Don't rely on your spam filter. Don't rely on your antivirus to catch every infected email. Your antivirus is only as secure as its last set of definitions installed. You may not be protected.

Always look at who ACTUALLY sent it (look at the address, as shown above) and then look at the subject line. Would your granny actually send you an email about that? If not, delete it too.

Of course, if you really feel sorry for all those poor people in Russia, India, Pakistan, etc. who don't have credit cards, I guess you can share yours with them. I just can't afford it.

And, if an email comes from what looks like your bank ... call them immediately to inquire why they would email you as most banks I deal with have a policy of NOT emailing their customers because of these types of scams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread