Judge OKs decision to sell widows home over $6.30 debt

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Judge OKs decision to sell widow's home over $6.30 debt

Judge OKs decision to sell widow's home over $6.30 debt | Fox News

TaxSale.jpg

Eileen Battisti sits on the stairs in front of her home in Aliquippa, Pa.ap

BEAVER, Pa. – A widow was given ample notice before her $280,000 house was sold at a tax auction three years ago over $6.30 in unpaid interest, a Pennsylvania judge has ruled.

The decision last week turned down Eileen Battisti's request to reverse the September 2011 sale of her home outside Aliquippa in western Pennsylvania.

"I paid everything, and didn't know about the $6.30," Battisti said. "For the house to be sold just because of $6.30 is crazy."

Battisti, who still lives in the house, said Monday that she plans to appeal to Commonwealth Court. That court earlier ordered an evidentiary hearing, which led to last week's ruling.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis wrote that the county tax claim bureau complied with notification requirements in state law before the auction. She had previously owed other taxes, but at the time of the sale she owed just $235, including other interest and fees.

"There is no doubt that (she) had actual receipt of the notification of the tax upset sale on July 7, 2011, and Aug. 16, 2011," the judge wrote. "Moreover, on Aug. 12, 2011, a notice of sale was sent by first class mail and was not returned."

The property sold for about $116,000, and most of that money will be paid to Battisti if further appeals are unsuccessful. An attorney for the purchaser did not return a phone message on Monday.

Joe Askar, Beaver County's chief solicitor, said the judge got the decision right, based on the law.

"The county never wants to see anybody lose their home, but at the same time the tax sale law, the tax real estate law, doesn't give a whole lot of room for error, either," Askar said.

Battisti said her husband handled the paperwork for the property's taxes before he passed away in 2004.

"It's bad — she had some hard times, I guess her husband kind of took care of a lot of that stuff," Askar said. "It seemed that she was having a hard time coping with the loss of her husband — that just made it set in a little more."

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Judges force my employer to write off many times that amount regularly, but we have no recourse against them either.

The law has too often been used as a tool for oppression, and the legal system is the oppressor.

Ever wonder where politicians come from?

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cold , cruel, callous decision absolutely no compassion shown , I hope some common sense can prevail with the appeal ..cheers Mick

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
What a cold , cruel, callous decision absolutely no compassion shown , I hope some common sense can prevail with the appeal ..cheers Mick

The judge should be disbarred and sent to prison for no less then 5 years for conspiracy, accepting bribery and theft . The case should go to the supreme court with a request for $10,000,000 in punitive damages, emotional distress etc.........
Reason for edit: $5,000,000 was not enough for what she is going through

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The judge should be disbarred and sent to prison for no less then 5 years for conspiracy, accepting bribery and theft . The case should go to the supreme court with a request for $10,000,000 in punitive damages, emotional distress etc.........
Reason for edit: $5,000,000 was not enough for what she is going through

Put me on the jury!!!!!

Put me on the Jury!!!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, isn't America the "land of the Free to screw your brother/sister over, if you can get away with it"!? :icon_scratch:
I sure hope time wounds all heels! And she gets some kind of help/assistance.
Where are the "good ppl" when all this kinda mess is going down? :dontknow:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being rich and having money........ still does not restore "some" things.
We have idiot judges, idiot politicians, idiot preachers, and the sheep just go bahh bahhh bahhhh!
She needed help BEFORE, these unscrupulous ppl handed her a meal ticket(?).
So good for her and the tax payors can settle the idiot case.........
I just wish some folks exercised common sense BEFORE, the ship sails over the edge........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep politics out of threads...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is really low down,but i know they do it,my brother forgot to pay a small amount on the property we grew up on that my dad gave him.well he [my dad] solved the problem, he bought it back at the auction.really stank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions