the NWS can kiss my..

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That happens every day here. They can't seem to ever get it right.

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Florida or Maine ? Went down to Disneyland once, only place in my memory that one minute its sunny, the next its lightning and pouring buckets so hard you can't see, then sixty seconds later its sunny again..funny how that works.

Oh and since I mentioned Disney, talk about the biggest disappointment of your life, when all your childhood you dream of exploring the Disney castle....only to find out it is just a tunnel, walk in one side out the other...BLEH!!!
Got so mad, I just had to punch that five foot mickey mouse that was following my then girl friend like a lost puppy.

Was also the first time in my life I had seen a ocean, and hopefully will have been the last, since at that time in life, the Jaws movies were still being produced heh.

Okay then...rambling, remembering good times past.

Mike

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeh, I love to ramble and remember the 'old days'. When I lived in Waco, Texas, one of the local tv stations started a '3 hour' forecast. It lasted only about 2 weeks, because they missed so many times. Here in Mtn. Home, Idaho, we have the Owyhee Mountains on the west side of us. Most of our weather comes in from the west. A weather front will get to the mountains and do one of three things. It can sometime go over the mountains if it's a really strong front. It can go around one end of the mountains or the other. Or it can just hit the mountains and dissipate. It really causes the weathermen a lot of headaches. Very seldom do I see any rain if the forecast calls for less than 70%. A lot of time we don't see any with an 80% chance forecast. I sometime wonder if it's God just playing with their minds for fun or belittling them because they think they're so smart!!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Florida or Maine ? Went down to Disneyland once, only place in my memory that one minute its sunny, the next its lightning and pouring buckets so hard you can't see, then sixty seconds later its sunny again..funny how that works.

Oh and since I mentioned Disney, talk about the biggest disappointment of your life, when all your childhood you dream of exploring the Disney castle....only to find out it is just a tunnel, walk in one side out the other...BLEH!!!
Got so mad, I just had to punch that five foot mickey mouse that was following my then girl friend like a lost puppy.

Was also the first time in my life I had seen a ocean, and hopefully will have been the last, since at that time in life, the Jaws movies were still being produced heh.

Okay then...rambling, remembering good times past.

Mike

Yup, Florida can do that. I always look at it as at least the whole day won't be a wash out. Up here in Maine they never get the forecast right. From snowfall totals to sunny days...when I lived in so cal, Washington state, Oregon state, and even Florida the meteorologist were right much more of the time.

sent from a potato...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
only place in my memory that one minute its sunny, the next its lightning and pouring buckets so hard you can't see, then sixty seconds later its sunny again..funny how that works.

Guess you never visited New England:laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An average summer day in Florida is hot and sunny until around 3pm, the rising heat and moisture eventually mixing in with the cooler upper air, and "poof" we have storms. It's like clockwork a great deal of the time. These summer storms then move east across the state until they meet the Atlantic breezes, which causes them to stall and sit over the coast which usually ends my day of detecting. But the good news....these storms eventually move offshore where they put on a fantastic light show. Florida is the lightening capital of the US, by the way, a single storm often producing thousands of air to ground lightening strikes, so when I say light show they can often be quite intense. Very neat to watch!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
An average summer day in Florida is hot and sunny until around 3pm, the rising heat and moisture eventually mixing in with the cooler upper air, and "poof" we have storms. It's like clockwork a great deal of the time. These summer storms then move east across the state until they meet the Atlantic breezes, which causes them to stall and sit over the coast which usually ends my day of detecting. But the good news....these storms eventually move offshore where they put on a fantastic light show. Florida is the lightening capital of the US, by the way, a single storm often producing thousands of air to ground lightening strikes, so when I say light show they can often be quite intense. Very neat to watch!

I always enjoy those!

sent from a potato...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike... just hang a short rope outside and stare at it for a weather update. Works great here in Middle TN. Whatever you see on the rope or the rope doing is a pretty good indictor of the weather. When the rope is hanging still (no wind), no water dripping, no icicles hanging and it's too hot to touch it means it's hotter than hell. I send the wife out everyday to get weather report. Glad she's not on T-net.

Here's what I'd like to know... here in Middle TN. the weather person might say todays high was 88. But I had a high of 96!!!!! What the hell is the standard way to record highs and lows. My sensor is set in the shade, uncovered and about head high. They must pack theirs in ice.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'll take an educated guess at the temp issue, I would guess that's a elevation issue, and if you are in mountain area of Tennessee, are you on west or east side of the elevation, assuming the mountains are stacked north to south.

Mike

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Visiting the next country north on the way out to fish years ago we stopped and rented a room. The weather forecast on the channel we were watching consisted of an aged rocker looking guy spinning a wheel. It landed on snow but did not snow where we were. A fun job doing the weather. No apology when you,re wrong consistently and it appears unlike most other jobs you don,t need to do it right to stay employed. A band of light rain was called for during the night and should clear before long. :laughing7: Spin that wheel!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'll take an educated guess at the temp issue, I would guess that's a elevation issue, and if you are in mountain area of Tennessee, are you on west or east side of the elevation, assuming the mountains are stacked north to south.

Mike

I live in the MIDDLE of TN. As the crow flies I'm about 50 miles southwest of Nashville. No mountains. Have some high ridges but nothing close to mountains. So when Nashville is "claiming" 5-10 degree difference I always wonder what I'm doing wrong. Even got 2 more thermometers and set them up.... All say the same thing +/- 1 degree. ????????????????

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Nashville you have to realize major cities being the concrete jungle, are always a good 7-10 degrees warmer.
Here the news says so and so temp today for a high, that's measured at metro airport right outside Detroit, me I'm rural, north and west of the suburbs, and our temp is always 10 degrees less than what they call for, less concrete, less heat.
I'd really have to know the geography if your area to tell you why things are that way, are you in a valley, or on a ridge, I mean just several hundred yards in a direction that's higher or lower can significantly raise or lower temps.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Nashville you have to realize major cities being the concrete jungle, are always a good 7-10 degrees warmer.
Here the news says so and so temp today for a high, that's measured at metro airport right outside Detroit, me I'm rural, north and west of the suburbs, and our temp is always 10 degrees less than what they call for, less concrete, less heat.
I'd really have to know the geography if your area to tell you why things are that way, are you in a valley, or on a ridge, I mean just several hundred yards in a direction that's higher or lower can significantly raise or lower temps.

Mike

Ok Mike.... Nashville is the "concrete jungle" and I live in the jungle... very rural and I have the higher temps ALWAYS... not Nashville... Never could figure out why? I moved my sensor all over and NEVER in direct sunlight but always in shade about head high. I'd like to know WHAT IS THE CORRECT WHY TO RECORD TEMPATURE????

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Elevation can also affect temps. El Dorado, AR is at the southernmost section of Arkansas yet it consistently has lowest temp in the state during the summer. It's lower and almost as if in a bowl. Cooler air sinks, warmer air rises.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that "warm air rises" comment does come into play here probably. I do live in one of the highest points in this county. If I put a boat motor in my pool and fired it up I'd have a 15,000 gallon hot tub in the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread