What Exactly Your Handshake Can Reveal About You

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What Exactly Your Handshake Can Reveal About You | TheBlaze.com

May. 9, 2014 9:00pm Liz Klimas

How your handshake comes across to another person can say so much about you that some people will go so far as to practice their handshakes before a big job interview.

But what exactly does your gripping greeting reveal about you? According to a new study, it goes well beyond just a show of your confidence or other personality traits.

Research from the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria found that hand-strength can be a predictor of age and future health. More specifically, it can be used to analyze mortality, disability, cognitive decline, a person’s ability to recover from a hospital stay and even can be correlated with the educational level a person attained, according to a news release from the institute.

“We found that based on this survey, a 65-year-old white women who had not completed secondary education has the same hand-grip strength as a 69-year-old white women who had completed secondary education,” study author Serguei Scherbov said in a statement. “This suggests that according to a hand-grip strength characteristic their ages are equivalent and 65-year-old women ages four years faster due to lower education attainment.”

According to the study abstract, the hand-grip strength of 65-year-old white males with less education was the equivalent to that of nearly 70-year-old white men with more education. Low hand-grip strength was associated with poorer health outcomes overall.

The ultimate goal of using hand-grip strength to measure these factors, the researchers said, is to compare how fast different groups in a society age.

“If some group is getting older faster than another, we can ask why that might be and see whether there are any policies that could help the faster aging group,” Scherbov said.

The research was published in the journal PLOS One this week.

A previous study from the University of Illinois, found handshakes are powerful enough to increase the effect of a positive interaction and even diminish the effect of a negative first impression.

“In a business setting this is what people are expecting, and those who know these things use them,” researcher Florin Dolcos said at the time. “Not a very long time ago you could get a loan based on a handshake. So it conveys something very important, very basic. Yet the science underlying this is so far behind. We knew these things intuitively but now we also have the scientific support.”

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL....so, I guess all the concrete construction guys (like me) are smarter and will live longer...ha. Most of us have a grip like a pair of Vise-Grip pliers.
Jim

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL....so, I guess all the concrete construction guys (like me) are smarter and will live longer...ha. Most of us have a grip like a pair of Vise-Grip pliers.
Jim

Yeah Jim, I've noticed that!!! Good gracious what a hand crush!

I've been in construction, and still am, since the early 70's....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right! Although, I'm 38 and my knees,forearms, hips, back, feel like I'm 120!! And I was only in concrete for 8 yrs. I wasn't built for it! I could hang,But it took it's toll!My hands are strong! (when it's not cold out) lol

Geez, I'm sorry, I just can't "Like" that! That would celebrate your pain :(

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...construction work keeps you fit, but it extracts a heavy toll in your later years. I did concrete work for 34 years, and then did slabjacking for another 13. Finally sold my business last April...just got to where I couldn't do it anymore. My back's gone...right hip in pain. I've had both shoulders worked on. But, I still get around pretty good..still climb mountains carrying my pack and prospecting gear. So, I'm blessed. And, I have deep respect for my fellow construction workers. Tough guys all.
Jim

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I take it you know what I mean :laughing9:Its like shaking hands with a woman:laughing7:
Hey now! :tongue3: I like a firm handshake whether its a man or a woman but not enough firmness to where I might need surgery later.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey now! :tongue3: I like a firm handshake whether its a man or a woman but not enough firmness to where I might need surgery later.

Coily, I think Red's actually referring to the "effeminate" touch here :)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah,I was just razzing him! I can appreciate a woman's handshake but don't like it when they just grasp two or three fingers and then let go real fast like I have the plague. If you're gonna shake hands,shake hands like a man(er woman) Same thing with hugs,no wimpy hugs for me but no bear hugs either.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Interesting Article!! Next time you use a tube of Gorilla Glue, I suppose one needs to shake hands with a Gorilla to see how strong it will be!! He HE!! Hope your doing well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, I worked doing masonry for a year. You might not know this, but a bricklayer just barley holds the bricks. He first feels to make sure the brick is oriented properly. Yes there is a top and bottom to some bricks. The challenge he faces is in the big blocks like the 16" semi solids used in walls near boiler equipment. It's the lime in the morter that makes his hands rough and dry. I learned that trade and decided that it was not for me. Where I built up the strength in my hands and arms was delivering newspapers for 5 years, morning evening and Sunday. It was a 300 customer route. Frank...- 111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My pops taught me, that when shaking a mans hand, give it all you got, and always look em in the eye while doing so, sorry if I hurt you. Dunno what it says about my social status, but I've never shook a woman's hand before, not sure why, just never have.
I only have one complaint when shaking so called men's hands, if its like grabbing a limp noodle...well to me that says a lot, it even sometimes insults me, not sure why either, maybe with how I was raised.

Mike

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Gasp a mans hand firmly and give it a couple shakes. After that your holding hands. A woman's sincerely but not crushing it. Then there's friends and acquaintances with unique ones. The palm up thumb grasp trusting nothing up the sleeve and others that can be taken to extremes.:laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And if you had NO hands...

And then that becomes a little uncomfortable. I once shook "hands" with one of those old type hook/clamp devices (can't think of the name of them) - very awkward, felt lost about what to do when it was offered to me. I would certainly imagine it was awkward to him as well, but he was still a true man and the tradition was solid with him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread