Tonights Cocktail

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
French roast with cream and sugar. Hay watch that coconut milk, it's a laxative. lol Frank...-
111-2 700.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go to a friend's house, in the country, in 1959 and '60, senior year in high school. We'd ride the school bus to his house on Friday evening and we'd ride the school bus back to school on Monday morning. We'd hunt and fish on his families small farm/ranch. There were catfish in the creek that ran through their property and plenty of rabbit and squirrel to hunt in the pecan trees that dotted the place. He kept a gallon/half gallon (?) of Mogen David wine on the bedside table. I'd take a sip most times when I woke up at night. lol I went to class one Monday morning after 'hitting' that MD quite heavily during Sunday night. The teacher told me to go outside for the rest of the class period and come see her after school was out for the day. We were supposed to be taking our midterm exams that morning. After school, she gave me the test (which I did pass). She told me before I left, that if I wanted a decent grade for the 1st half of the year, that I had to turn in 3 book reports, and recite 1000 lines of poetry. Then she told me that since she knew my parents, and her husband owned the dry cleaner establishment where our dry cleaning was done, if I wanted my parents to never hear about the event from her or her husband that I had better 'walk a straight line' in her class the rest of the year.

Until I married in 1963, I drank some like every teenager that could get some alcohol. Several of us boys would pool our money and buy some whiskey (cheap) and a case of beer. There were a couple of places that I could buy without being asked for ID. We'd go down some country, gravel road until we spotted a place we could pull off the road and be away from everybody. We'd sit out there and mix a little whiskey in our beer and have a lot of fun just 'whooping it up' until we all fell asleep. We'd wake up the next morning and go home. After I married, I very seldom drank.

From the late 1970s until after my wife died in 2006, I very seldom drank. Then I began to drink a little, then a little more, until now. I generally drink a little whiskey with cola in the evening, almost every day. I wait until I'm sure that I'm not going to need to get behind the wheel of the Jeep before I take a drink! If I have as much as a sip of alcohol, I will not drive. I'm one of 'them people' that will always be stopped for some reason or other if I'm drinking and driving. Have I ever been stopped? Once, in Fort Worth, Texas, on my 20 birthday. The cop told me to let one of the other boys drive and to 'get out of town or be locked up'.

I don't know why, but I like the Canadian Hunter whiskey better than all the rest. I used to like quite a few different kinds of alcohol, like peach brandy, blackberry brandy and wine, and vodka mixed with orange juice, Collins mixer, and maraschino cherry juice. I guess my tastes have changed, because I can hardly stand the taste of most of them anymore. And, as someone (Oregon Viking, if I remember correctly) said earlier, I need to quit!!! As Deepseeker said about his belly, I have 'gained' a lot of girth during the last 4 or 5 years in my belly. In 2007, I was about 37" in the waist, now I'm more like 41"!!!! That's bad!!!

But, tonight, I'll probably have my 'cocktail' of about 2 shots of Canadian Hunter with about 4 oz. of cola and 3 or 4 oz. of water. I've started using some water to cut down on some of the cola. lol lol ?????

Last edited:

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in the early 70's (pre dwinking days), thinking how good that Harveys Bristle Cream must be!
Turned 18 in 1976. Learned early on, thats some nasty s##t.
But then again, I believe gin drinkers are disturbed. LOL
Ray

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a real good one for you......Smirnoff 100 proof, 2-3 sprigs each of mint and lemon balm. Muddle herbs in you hand to start the fragrant juices running, place in Qt. masons jar, fill with the vodka, and let sit 4-5 days, shaking from time to time.......pour over plenty of ice and enjoy!!!!! Has a real good "li-mint" flavor, and stays 100 proof......Gary

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knob Creek Smokey Maple. My first post!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy.....welcome to Tnet, and a first post like that will assure you a place to visit and relax!!!!! Gary

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
In my Sophomore year of High School we had Career Day and on this day, we could either attend the Career Talk Sessions and gather literature or wander aimlessly in or outside the school. Well, Randy Parton (Dolly Parton's brother) put a new meaning on wandering aimlessly on that day. He brought in a half pint of Peach Brandy Moonshine that I believe was made back then by the now famed Popcorn Sutton. The stuff tasted great and was smooth but just a few snorts would have you staggering all over the hallways.:laughing7:

Frank

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my Sophomore year of High School we had Career Day and on this day, we could either attend the Career Talk Sessions and gather literature or wander aimlessly in or outside the school. Well, Randy Parton (Dolly Parton's brother) put a new meaning on wandering aimlessly on that day. He brought in a half pint of Peach Brandy Moonshine that I believe was made back then by the now famed Popcorn Sutton. The stuff tasted great and was smooth but just a few snorts would have you staggering all over the hallways.:laughing7:

Frank

Yes. Pop Corn Sutton, the man basically made rocket fuel.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was kind of reserved tonight, a simple Mount Gay Rum( the highest quality), and coke...or was it two? Temp. in the 90's, and they sure did taste good sitting on the Lake shore......Gary

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn Red.... We usually get along just fine but your on thin ice now. At your age your taste buds should have of matured by now. Maybe you've killed them

No offense intended limit :laughing9:Taste buds have not much to do with happenings in the intestinal tract:laughing9:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No offense intended limit :laughing9:Taste buds have not much to do with happenings in the intestinal tract:laughing9:

You got that right Red.... I'm just the opposite. If I drink ANYTHING else it just tears me UP. So I have to defend it... kinda.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Pop Corn Sutton, the man basically made rocket fuel.

You've got that right Helix! There were a lot of Auto Racers that got really upset when Old Popcorn went legit. Many of the dirt track racers including some at the 411 Motor Speedway lost their source to high octane (High Proof, LOL!!) fuel for their' race cars. Hell, I believe half of the farmers in Cocke and Sevier Counties here in East Tennessee used Popcorn's Moon to run their' tractors on.

Frank

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got that right Helix! There were a lot of Auto Racers that got really upset when Old Popcorn went legit. Many of the dirt track racers including some at the 411 Motor Speedway lost their source to high octane (High Proof, LOL!!) fuel for their' race cars. Hell, I believe half of the farmers in Cocke and Sevier Counties here in East Tennessee used Popcorn's Moon to run their' tractors on.

Frank

His recipe is still out there Frank. I think it is on the brewers forum as well. Buy local is our motto.You never want any of that stuff over 100 proof because it is dangerous and really to hot to drink. It may start out of a run at 140+ but the longer you run it drops…..They say you pull the head and tails
The head or first burp is greenish colored get it out,it is pure ethanol. The tails is where the hygrometer starts reading around 40.Serve it blended at around 80 to be able to enjoy the craft. I enjoy reading about it only.. :occasion14: or watching the clowns on youtube make it.

You can use molasses and make rum or just plain sugar and fruit for a sugar shine. Corn and barley is one of the few items that will retain any hint of flavor after a run. If it is fruity it has been added after the run and you do not want that as it could have been a bad run so they add flavor. Go pure taste it and check the bead then add what you like for flavor if any. We have shot glasses with a wall in the middle . I like pineapple juice on one side and shine on the other.Moderation is key!
Tried the smokey mtn recipe they are selling in Gatlinburgh. It was awful I poured it out.Ok for the tourist I guess.
I helped bury a guy who was in his late 90's. He used to haul coal as a kid. He said he never had a load of coal come off the mtn that did not have a load of whiskey under it. I also worked with a crane operator years ago on the Southern rail road. I was a bridge carpenter and track crew foreman. We were getting burned bad that day from the creosote off a rail road bridge and pulled our shirts to soak them. He was riddled with holes front and back. I asked what happened he said he was shot by them thar revenuers sitting around a fire. No warning. Said he went to prison and they had the best food and easiest life he had ever seen. Times change I guess.Old ways disappear.
HH

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, time to change your taste buds......Distilled in Brattleboro Vt. "Sapling", a bourbon with the taste of pure Vt. Maple syrup.....smooth and sweet...If rum is more your choice, from the Mad River Valley, in the town of Warran comes a Maple Rum.....one of the best I'vehad.....and havebeen sampling both with my bro-in-law this very day...at last a pleasent day.....Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread