Mysterious ‘Woman In Black’ Roams Rural US, Goes Viral On Social Media

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mysterious ?Woman In Black? Roams Rural US, Goes Viral On Social Media « CBS Atlanta

Bs2OHRSCcAA2a15.jpg

July 31, 2014 9:21 AM

Winchester, Va. (CBS ATLANTA) – Roaming countryside roads and outside of small Appalachian towns, the mysterious “woman in black” may have finally reached her destination in Winchester, Va., after being spotted in numerous states and gathering a massive social media following for weeks.

Winchester Police say the “woman is black,” also known as Elizabeth Poles, 56, intends on staying in Virginia after being seen wandering in Georgia, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky and sparking tens of thousands of social media followers taking photos and creating rumors about the woman who told onlookers, “I wish people would mind their own business,” ABC News reports.

Google mapping pins, Twitter hashtags, YouTube debates of the Bible and several Facebook pages popped up online to debate the purpose of the woman who walked more than 1,000 miles from Motts, Ala., with a walking cane and all-black clothing. Authorities in Tennessee received multiple “suspicious person” calls and the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office first identified her as Poles, WYCB-TV reported.

Poles told police that she was from an Islamic nation and worked for the Pentagon, but those statements were debunked by investigators.

Capt. Dough Watson of the Winchester Police Department told ABC News that the station provided her with food and shelter after local deputies were seen walking alongside her on rural roads via Instagram and Facebook. Winchester authorities were first alerted of the mysterious woman when a crowd control call went out because “about 100 people” had gathered around to take photos and attempt to speak with Poles.

Winchester Police asked the public to respect the privacy of Poles on Tuesday after they were called to the 2400 block of Valley Avenue for the crowd control safety call.

She said she was “on a mission that has something to do with faith and religion,” Watson told ABC News. “She seemed to be in really good condition, I spoke with her and she was very articulate and very appreciative of our help.”

“She just said: ‘I wish people would mind their own business,’” added Watson.

Her brother, Raymond Poles, told Reuters that she was a 10-year U.S. Army veteran, widow and mother of two children.

“She said she wanted to move down here about four years ago,” Raymond Poles of Smiths Station, Ala., told ABC News. “So my wife and I went and picked her up. For the first few months, she was doing great.”

Poles explained that she had wandered off several times from his home.

“She was going to churches on Sundays and to her appointments at the nearby VA hospitals,” Poles told ABC News. “Then one Sunday, when my wife and I picked her up, she shaved her head. She was asking me, ‘Where can I buy those long black robes?’”

“I don’t want to call it a mental health problem. The VA calls her a disabled veteran,” Poles said, adding that she started going back to Virginia because that’s where she was raised by her father. “But there is something going on with her.”

– Benjamin Fearnow

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as she said, "I wish people would mind their own business".

they should.

That looks like a great thing to do if you have the time. Take a long walk. But in this day and age I guess long walks are out of the question.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
as she said, "I wish people would mind their own business".

they should.

That looks like a great thing to do if you have the time. Take a long walk. But in this day and age I guess long walks are out of the question.

Dressing "weird" like THAT...? Hmmm... dunno; FREAKY!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird to you may not be weird to me. maybe someone would think my hairstyle is weird, maybe someone would think yours is.

Not my call to judge anyone on what they wear, cut their hair, shave their face, none of it. Got enough problems of my own to worry about.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Davest. I do like your new sig.:icon_thumleft:

Very poignant, and I am a very religious person.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
weird to you may not be weird to me. maybe someone would think my hairstyle is weird, maybe someone would think yours is.

Not my call to judge anyone on what they wear, cut their hair, shave their face, none of it. Got enough problems of my own to worry about.

Is "she" in "Black-Face"...? Can't tell; "Black-Hands"...?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of old time mourning but what ever she is doing it seems to not harm anyone.
Out in public and not trying to avoid people beyond they could let her travel at will without crowding her. Understood she will stand out in places, but so what? Different cloths style than what's accepted as normal nothing new. Most generations seem to clash with the one before. Remember long hair on males a while back? L.o.l..or pants falling off ones backside,goth,ect. and so on.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEP! Talked with my cousin, who lives in Winchester, Va.; a "weirdo", he said... ANYWAY, did R & I on her; she is WHITE, wearing "Black-Face/Hands" make-up, like in a "theater production"... sounds like GRIEF REACTION Stress Reduction to me.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Reminds me of old time mourning but what ever she is doing it seems to not harm anyone.
Out in public and not trying to avoid people beyond they could let her travel at will without crowding her. Understood she will stand out in places, but so what? Different cloths style than what's accepted as normal nothing new. Most generations seem to clash with the one before. Remember long hair on males a while back? L.o.l..or pants falling off ones backside,goth,ect. and so on.

Women wearing PANTS...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at me everyone, ohhh look at me -

O

Old Silver

Don't worry folks, it's only Forest Gump taking another cross-country stroll, imparting his wisdom to those who will stop and listen.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry folks, it's only Forest Gump taking another cross-country stroll, imparting his wisdom to those who will stop and listen.
------------------------- That was my initial thought at first , Someone doing the Forest Gump run

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread