Chef Killed By Dead Snake 20 Minutes After Severing Its Head

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chef Killed By Dead Snake 20 Minutes After Severing Its Head

By*Lina Batarags, Fri, August 22, 2014

A chef died when the head of a snake, which had been severed from its body twenty minutes prior, bit him and injected him with its fast-acting venom.

Peng Fan had been dicing up the snake to prepare a snake soup, made from the Indochinese spitting cobra. The dish is a rare delicacy in Asia.

However, when Fan went to throw the snake’s head into the trash, the head bit him.

According to police, Fan died before he could be given lifesaving anti-venom in the hospital.

“It is a highly unusual case but it appears to be just an accident,” said a police spokesman. “He prepared the snake himself and was just unlucky.”

“There was nothing that could be done to save the man,” the spokesman continued. “Only the anti-venom could have helped but this was not given in time. It was just a tragic accident.”

Diners who were eating at the restaurant at the time of the unexpected tragedy have described hearing screams coming from the kitchen.

“We were in the restaurant having a meal for my wife’s birthday when suddenly there was a lot of commotion,” said 44-year-old Lin Sun said.

“There were calls for a doctor in the restaurant but unfortunately by the time medical assistance arrived the man had already died. After we heard that we did not continue with our meal.”

Snake expert Yang Hong-Chang, who has spent 40 years studying cobras, noted that all reptiles can function for up to an hour after losing body parts, or even their entire body.

“It means snakes have the capability of biting and injecting venom even after the head has been severed,” Hong-Chang explained.

Death is caused by paralysis, which leads to asphyxiation. The snake’s venom is so potent, however, that even if it only spits venom into a victim’s eyes, the victim can be permanently blinded.

- See more at: Chef Killed After Severed Snake Head Bites, Injects Poison Into Him

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch! that's a real bummer, believable to. Many years ago I witnessed a snapping turtle bite a guys boot, would not let go for nothing. the guy chopped its head off which I felt was unnecessary, however that turtles head stayed attached to that boot for a good eight hours, weirdest part was the eyes!...they kept moving around the whole time!.
Thanks for the story TH.

Mike

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everyone knew snakes could still inject poison/bite after the heads severed. :dontknow:
Mike, my mom always said, "when the snappin turtle bites you, he won't let go until the lightening strikes".
Never tested her theory myself. :laughing7:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that's why when they have to be killed, we cut heads off and bury-

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Remember reading a story about a soldier who was killed when he dug up the head of a snake he had killed the night before. It was in a treasure hunting magazine from around 1980, but don't remember which one.

davesharky59

Greenie
Jun 18, 2014
Phiippines
Detector(s) used
fisher x 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grand mother all ways told me the head will not die untill the moon comes out that.s what she said she was a country women true or not i don.t know.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought everyone knew snakes could still inject poison/bite after the heads severed

Idiots dont know :laughing7:As the saying goes payback is a bit_ h.Kind of fitting though when you think about it.

NJSouth

Aug 22, 2014
Vineland NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the whole reason I stopped eating snakes.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A man I used to know back in Texas, showed me scars in the webbing between his thumb and forefinger. He said as a teen, he found a baby squirrel and raised it. He let it sit on his shoulder and go walking in the evenings quite often. He said one morning he noticed the squirrel wasn't moving much and reached into the cage to pick it up. The squirrel clamped its teeth on his hand and would not let go. The man choked the squirrel to death, but couldn't get the mouth open. He ran next door to a neighbor who used a table knife to pry the mouth open. The squirrel was tested for rabies, but didn't have the disease.

I can remember killing snakes as a teen and seeing them move occasionally several hours later. We used to joke about, although it's quite true, sliding your tires when running over a snake or you only make it mad. 'Course, sliding the wheels tears the snake up pretty badly; but just running over it does very little damage.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A man I used to know back in Texas, showed me scars in the webbing between his thumb and forefinger. He said as a teen, he found a baby squirrel and raised it. He let it sit on his shoulder and go walking in the evenings quite often. He said one morning he noticed the squirrel wasn't moving much and reached into the cage to pick it up. The squirrel clamped its teeth on his hand and would not let go. The man choked the squirrel to death, but couldn't get the mouth open. He ran next door to a neighbor who used a table knife to pry the mouth open. The squirrel was tested for rabies, but didn't have the disease.

I can remember killing snakes as a teen and seeing them move occasionally several hours later. We used to joke about, although it's quite true, sliding your tires when running over a snake or you only make it mad. 'Course, sliding the wheels tears the snake up pretty badly; but just running over it does very little damage.

Gives him a hell of a back ache though. Snakes have up to 300 vertebra as opposed to 30 in a human.
Frank...- five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread