Ice bucket challenge kind of annoys me

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I am happy ALS has raised over 50 million dollars for there research but one thing really bothers me. The ice bucket challenge is not a fun thing that you call out 5 friends and haha tag your it. It is to call someone out to donate money..

The biggest thing that bothers me is that it was actually the cold water challenge that started in the fire service between firefighters with the premise of you call someone out to donate $100 to the fallen firefighters fund which supports the family's of firefighters who died in the line of duty. If you chose not to donate that much you could accept the "punishment" of getting soaked with ice cold water and you could then donate $40.

I am happy for ALS but it does bother me that the foundation that was the original recipient of the money to support the people that started it has not received much money from this viral craze. It has pretty much been forgotten about. That and above all it bothers me that it has become a fun who can I get with calling out to dump water on your head in the middle of the summer instead of I challenge you to donate or take the punishment.

That's my rant. I don't want people to think I am insensitive to the ALS foundation but rather venting that I can't look anywhere without seeing a video of someone laughing dumping water on their head in the middle of the summer heat and say ok now it's your turn.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard about the cold water challenge. Thanks for posting. I am informed now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread