The .22 Ammo Shortage Mystery -- Solved!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe this thread might continue without being made political?

The .22 Ammo Shortage Mystery -- Solved!

By Rich Smith | More Articles
August 31, 2014 | Comments (107)

Wait? You mean this is all the ammo I get?!

Earlier this year, CBS News spotlighted a growing shortage of .22-caliber ammunition. "One of the most popular and common" -- and cheapest -- calibers of ammo for hunters and target shooters alike, CBS reports that .22 shells are in short supply these days. Interviewing one supplier, CBS reported that while as recently as two years ago it was still possible to buy .22-caliber ammunition "by the pallet-load... now they're putting restrictions on how much you can get and how you get that ammo."

Retailers are shooting blanks

This is a problem from ammunition retailers -- and for gun owners as well. Statistically speaking, 24%-45% of Americans own guns either for self-defense or sporting purposes. But getting the ammo to load into those guns is becoming a bit of a trick.

Over the past five years, .22 ammo is said to have more than tripled in price. Historically, .22 ammo was obtainable for about $0.05 a round. And yes, some retailers are still advertising it for that price. Dicks Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE: DKS ) , for example, has two varieties of .22LR advertised for sale at roughly $0.05 per shell. But Wal-Mart Stores, (NYSE: WMT ) -- long the go-to spot for impulse purchases of ammo -- instituted a policy early last year limiting customers to buying no more than three boxes of ammo per person, per day. So getting in on Dick's deal may not be as easy as it sounds ....

Just $24.99 for a block of 525? It's a bargain!

Meanwhile, online, bargain-basement website gun-deals.com shows that the more usual price for 22 ammo today is $0.08 a round -- or even $0.10, $0.11, or $0.12! For that matter, even the $0.12-a-round price may be an illusion. Popular online guns 'n' ammo website AIM Surplus advertises four varieties of .22LR rifle ammunition for sale at the $0.12 price point, for example -- and is all sold out.

Who's to blame?

Similar stories can be heard from owners of guns of all shapes and sizes -- not just .22s. To cite just one example, after skyrocketing in price through the end of 2013, Brown Bear 7.62x39mm rifle rounds (standard for an AK-47) are now entirely unavailable on AIM Surplus. All you can get today is cheap Russian Wolf-brand ammo ... that costs a staggering $230 for a box of 1000 rounds.

Why is this?

National Shooting Sports Foundation, or NSSF, public affairs director Mike Bazinet notes that "there are a lot of wild stories" about the ammunition shortage, with some people even blaming the U.S. government for "buying up all the ammo." But according to Bazinet, that's simply not the case. In fact, "government purchases have gone down over last three years."

He may be right. Earlier this year, the National Rifle Association, or NRA, helped to debunk the "government conspiracy" thesis for America's .22 ammo shortage. Laying out the facts and figures in a multi-page spread in American Rifleman, the "official journal of the NRA," the NRA described how:

The dollar value of ammunition sales in America doubled between 2007 and 2012. Highlighting the obvious, the NRA noted that sales really "started to climb fast as gun sales began surging" in the run-up to the 2008 Presidential election.
ATK (NYSE: ATK ) subsidiary Federal Cartridge Company attributes ammo shortages to "high demand for our products," and said flat out that the biggest increases in ammunition purchases are coming from "the civilian market." (This means you).
Olin Corp's (NYSE: OLN ) Winchester Ammunition agrees it is "that experiencing an extremely high demand."
And privately held Freedom Group, which manufactures Remington cartridges, says "it's clear to us that any lack of supply in the marketplace has been from consumer demand."

And then there was the interview with privately held Hornady Manufacturing. There, President Steve Hornady explained to the NRA, "People walk into the store, they don't see as much as they want so they take everything they can get. The next guy who comes in can't get anything, so he panics."

Panic and prudent price-comparison habits rarely go hand-in-hand, of course. This naturally results in higher prices for ammunition.

Time for some good news

Now that we know the origin of the .22 ammo shortage, it's time for some good news. Recent earnings reports at both Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ: SWHC ) and Sturm, Ruger (NYSE: RGR ) show a marked deceleration in demand for guns, with sales falling nearly 5% year over year at S&W, and down more than 14% at Ruger.

Earlier this year, Cabela's (NYSE: CAB ) CEO Thomas Millner noted that he's seen a "significant deceleration in ammunition sales" at his stores. And website thecabin.net goes so far as to say the ammunition shortage "may be ending," as manufacturers crank up production, wholesalers restock, and supplies begin filtering down to the retail level. With any luck, this will eventually result in fully stocked shelves at gun stores, assuaging consumers' panic-fueled urge to hoard ammunition -- and putting the .22 ammo shortage to bed once and for all.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
SURE! With the economic conditions we have today I can't picture a buyers binge fueling this shortage. Frank...- 111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the ancient law of supply and demand...limit one and the other goes up! Simple economics......Gary

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Heard a story from a Remington employee a little over a year ago about a warehouse stocked to capacity with 22 rounds, and production stopped in an effort to drive up prices.

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Something is going on. My local hardware store that always had .22's hasn't received a shipment in over 2 years now. My local walmart gets in a case or 2 when they should be getting a pallet at a time. I'm a gun dealer myself and can't get any from the wholesalers. I called one up and they told me they haven't had any in a year. Explain that.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what's going on (for sure) but we all know the .22 in all its forms is one of the MOST POPULAR rounds in the USA. And in the right hands with the right weapon is a very lethal round. It's the next best thing to a silencer. Something NO GOOD is going on... and I pray somebody can explain in layman's terms what is going on.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a monetary collapse, the .22 can be used as trade. Being the most popular round, it will be easy to swap for what you need. And being small, it's easy to carry. Kinda like Pocket change. A lot of locals here are stocking it to use as barter. 5000 rounds takes up very little space.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I don't know what's going on (for sure) but we all know the .22 in all its forms is one of the MOST POPULAR rounds in the USA. And in the right hands with the right weapon is a very lethal round. It's the next best thing to a silencer. Something NO GOOD is going on... and I pray somebody can explain in layman's terms what is going on.

How about GREED! Or just plain price fixing. Remember Remington is privately held! Frank...-
I personally don't like Remington .22 ammo, it burns dirty.

Tosspilot

Aug 13, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read an article which suggested that the profit margins on the 22 rounds to the manufactures is minimal, therefore the manufacturers are unwilling to invest in new tooling to produce the quantities needed to meet today's demand levels. Therefore, we continue with the shortage. Of course, if they invested in the tooling, the near term higher prices will go away after the supply is provided.

If true, it's makes sense from a $ perspective.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it selling here for around $22.00 a brick. First come first serve. Trick is knowing when it arrives. My friend manages the store. He said he could raise the price but refuses to do so. Rare breed good person.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I went into one store and asked the owner if I could buy enough .22 ammo to load my magazine on my rifle. He asked what rifle I had. I said a Calico. He laughed and put 2 boxes of ammo on the counter. lol Frank...- five star.png
111-2 700.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we now are having built here a Gander Mountain,Bass Pro and a Cabelas. So all the Mom and Pops that served us so well will be gone to the big box stores.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we now are having built here a Gander Mountain,Bass Pro and a Cabelas. So all the Mom and Pops that served us so well will be gone to the big box stores.

It's hard to "like" this one :(

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Thats why a silenced .22 was and is a favorite of mob hitmen.Put a decent silencer on a .22,have a TV going at normal listening level,you will not hear the shot in the next room.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do we wanna know how you know that?

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In theory, if we stop buying they could choke on inventory? or am I wrong? I still have a brick of 500 that reads 9.95, crazy and greedy?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Me thinks it also had and has to do with certain groups of people buying just to keep it out of others hands.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
People line up at stock time,buy it up and resell. A clerk at one big box store explained how they stocked the same time same day. Which seems strange ,but that's how one store does it.
A count on new .22's sold would help. A gunshop says many have been sold and everyone wants a couple thousand rounds. Take the normal plinking appetite of the past added up nationwide plus the new .22 buyers wanting fodder and there is a high demand. One thing people are apparently not doing is to quit buying from resellers at ridiculous prices!
My standing joke at each store when asked if I can be helped is to answer that I am here to be photographed with the skid of .22 shells that they have.
Saw c.c.i. and another brand yesterday. A couple boxes each and did not ask how much. I do like c.c.i. though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread