Locksmiths, safe ID.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some experience from a long time ago in the locksmithing trade, and I know there are others on here that do also.
Question I have is, a buddy has a safe that was in a house he bought, no combination for it. I know I could drill it, but considering my experience is long ago, I'm wondering if it can be opened with a scope, as in drilling a pilot to see the slots. I don't remember the exact terminology.
I don't want to destroy it as its full of what sounds like coins, since he knocked it over and it sounds that way.
Plus it is beautiful. As far as I know, it was made by halls safe and lock in cincinatti Ohio, when I have no idea. It says keystone safe and lock on the front, but I believe that company custom painted them years ago and then sold them.

If anybody has any info on this safe I'd appreciate it, be it drill points or even the grade of steel, I highly doubt it is any thing close to say a tl30 safe but never know, for its size the dam thing is very heavy. I'm guessing about 900-1300 pounds. Its about 30 inches tall, maybe 24 inches deep.
On the knob on the dial its stamped 8566

View attachment 1087356

View attachment 1087359

View attachment 1087360

Any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Mike

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNT!!:laughing7:
Ask Scott AU24K...I believe he is a locksmith

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when the time comes, please share pics of the contents!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hall's safes usually have Hall's cast into the little legs that hold the wheels, or at least the several I have seen do. If it weighs that much how did the owner pick it back up? These safes of this size usually weigh more in the 500lb range and have concrete filled walls. I have several old safes and have friends who actually collect them. One of mine was found without a combination and was drilled with about a 1/4" drill right above the top of the dial. The faceplate steel is usually about 1/4"-3/8" thick and once through that one should be able to see or feel the slots in the tumblers when they line up. This should be done by an experienced safe cracker to avoid damage to such a beautiful safe. Once open it is easy to change the combination if he desires, and you can just fill the hole with bondo and re-paint the tiny area to match and nobody will know the work has been done. It should be worth the money to have it professionally opened and not done by amateurs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread