Question for any old west experts?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much about treasure hunting but since I believe most hunters are interested in history I was wondering where there any gunslinger duels? I saw a show on the history channel that said that it was a myth but in the 1700s dueling with pistols was a thing which would seem to fit in well with the cowboy days. The more I've read about things I'm starting to believe historians aren't right about everything but was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I remember seeing 1 story with an accompanying photo of such a stand up fight . Sadly , I do not remember where .

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
By the time of the Broderick-Terry duel of 1859, slavery had become the new reason for dueling. Dueling had lost favor in the early 1800s in the North, but still remained the dispute-solving method of choice in the South, where social standing was a touchier subject.

Although 18 states had outlawed dueling by 1859, it was still often practiced in the South and the West. Dueling became less common in the years following the Civil War, with the collective public opinion perhaps soured by the amount of bloodshed during the conflict.
By the start of the 20th century, dueling laws were enforced and it became a thing of the past.
Don......

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
neo:

Have you looked at any of Ed Bartholomew's excellent books? He is the first author to research the true story of Wyatt Earp (a gentleman who had the great advantage of living longer than any of his enemies).

There's the huge Album of Western Gunfighters, Kill or Be Killed, Western Hardcases; or Gunfighters named Smith and several books about individuals such as Wild Bill Longley and Jesse Evans. Ed did an astonishing amount of original research and his books are first-rate.

He wrote several classic treasure books using the pen name Jesse (Ed) Rascoe - but that's for another day.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neo:

Have you looked at any of Ed Bartholomew's excellent books? He is the first author to research the true story of Wyatt Earp (a gentleman who had the great advantage of living longer than any of his enemies).

There's the huge Album of Western Gunfighters, Kill or Be Killed, Western Hardcases; or Gunfighters named Smith and several books about individuals such as Wild Bill Longley and Jesse Evans. Ed did an astonishing amount of original research and his books are first-rate.

He wrote several classic treasure books using the pen name Jesse (Ed) Rascoe - but that's for another day.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I think I have one of his books but not the old west one I know there's one I've been looking for and can't find anywhere online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread