physicist Stephen Hawking, and Russian tech entrepreneur Yuri Milner Searching for ET

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LONDON (AP) – The search for extraterrestrial life received a major boost Monday with the launch of an ambitious $100 million program, backed by famed physicist Stephen Hawking and tech billionaire Yuri Milner.
Combining unprecedented computing capacity with the world's most powerful telescopes, Hawking and the Russian-born Milner seek to intensify the so far fruitless search for life beyond the planet Earth.It is a coordinated plan to use the latest scientific methods to solve one of mankind's enduring riddles: Are we alone?

"The scope of our search will be unprecedented: a million nearby stars, the galactic center, the entire plane of the Milky Way and 100 nearby galaxies," Milner told a packed press conference at the Royal Society in London.
Organizers say the "Breakthrough Initiatives" project, also endorsed by other prominent British scientists, is the biggest ever scientific search for alien life. It includes a "listening" program – the effort to analyze vast amounts of radio signals in search of signs of life – and a "messaging" program that will include $1 million in prizes for digital messages that best represent the planet Earth.
The messages will not be sent, however, in part because some scientists – including Hawking – fear messages sent into space could possibly spur aggressive actions by alien races.

Milner said the search will be entirely transparent and will rely on open-source software so findings can be shared throughout the world.
"Our approach to data will be open and taking advantage of the problem-solving power of social networks," he said.
The researchers say the focused computing power and the use of some of the world's most powerful telescopes will allow them to collect in one day the same amount of data that would have taken one year to collect before the program began.

more http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...iative-to-seek-extraterrestrial-intelligence/

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I follow this stuff closely.... it's very interesting.

I for one have my own thoughts on other "intelligent" life in our universe or others. For me to sit back and think that us humans are the only intelligent life form in our or any other universe is an arrogant thought. The odds are just overwhelming that there aren't any others "out there". But then who said we're intelligent.... just us. Go figure... a species who wages war upon it's own and doesn't even consume the dead.

I believe we're not intelligent enough yet to recognize another further advanced life form out there. We just got here in the scope of things. Kind of like discussing "global warming".... we have no data base large enough to draw from to say what's "normal" nor do we know what to look for to hear another intelligent life form broadcasting. But I do believe there are other's "out there" without doubt. And I hope this effort finds it!!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that they are going for transparency .

Hopefully that lasts :thumbsup:
& if something is found it isn't allocated to Weekly World News
beside the wedding of elvis and kennedy

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It sounds interesting, but there is one big problem. The actual method used in communication.
We use certain frequencies and certain propagation methods like AM, FM, SSB, etc. Now how do we know what transmission method they are using?
They might have evolved a completely different communication method. Language, coding, etc would be completely different.
Did you see that movie about Devils Tower? They communicated with musical notes. Just a thought, Frank

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It sounds interesting, but there is one big problem. The actual method used in communication.
We use certain frequencies and certain propagation methods like AM, FM, SSB, etc. Now how do we know what transmission method they are using?
They might have evolved a completely different communication method. Language, coding, etc would be completely different.
Did you see that movie about Devils Tower? They communicated with musical notes. Just a thought, Frank

Then, there is SETI... in the movie, CONTACT; GREAT movie! :icon_thumleft:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am offering a reward. $10.00 reward for any intelligent life here on this site. I realize it will be tough but we're a hardy bunch... let's pay attention.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of resources, imagine the good that could be done here on earth.............and they will find nothing as always.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of resources, imagine the good that could be done here on earth.............and they will find nothing as always.

The exploration of space has always brought mankind advances...

"A few specific innovations developed as a result of space program research:

• GPS technology

• breast cancer test imaging

• an artificial heart pump based on the design of NASA’s space shuttle main engine fuel pumps that supplements the heart’s pumping capacity in the left ventricle

• a mechanical arm that allows surgeons to operate three instruments, while simultaneously performing laparoscopic surgery

• a lightweight breathing system for firefighters, credited with significant reductions in inhalation injuries

• Teflon-coated fiberglass developed in the 1970s as a new fabric for astronaut spacesuits has been used as a permanent roofing material for buildings and stadiums
Economic Benefits of Space Exploration

It is true that we could spend less money on our missions and make them more cost effective, but space exploration, research, and travel provides hundreds of thousands of jobs in the U.S.and even more worldwide.

If you think unemployment is bad now, imagine how it would be without space exploration!"

http://caro1120.hubpages.com/hub/Space-Exploration-Advantages-vs-Disadvantages

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually find this amusing. Mainly for the point that Hawking himself has stated countless times.
That we should NOT be broadcasting anything out into "space".

Look at Coronado,,Pizarro,,even Columbus men. when they encountered anyone,,, they eventually killed them when their "usefulness" was done.

IF there are superior races out there. I am not sold on it yet though. BUT IF they are there,,, they are certainly "superior" to us. So reasoning has it that we WOULD be killed or put into slavery,,, hell they might be meat eaters too.
We may be nothing more than an outpost cattle ranch. (LONGPIG ANYONE)

I am all for the quiet thing for sure. Even if "they" APPEARED benevolent,,,chances would be that it would be the opposite.

Just an opinion mind ya.
To be honest,, the space,,distance between habitable planets / stars is too large to be travelled.
Could be that the EXTRA-terrestrials are really INTRA-terrestrials. And are our ancestors that got wise to the way things were "evolving" and made a determined effort to stay hidden,,, on purpose.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually find this amusing. Mainly for the point that Hawking himself has stated countless times.
That we should NOT be broadcasting anything out into "space".

Look at Coronado,,Pizarro,,even Columbus men. when they encountered anyone,,, they eventually killed them when their "usefulness" was done.

IF there are superior races out there. I am not sold on it yet though. BUT IF they are there,,, they are certainly "superior" to us. So reasoning has it that we WOULD be killed or put into slavery,,, hell they might be meat eaters too.
We may be nothing more than an outpost cattle ranch. (LONGPIG ANYONE)

I am all for the quiet thing for sure. Even if "they" APPEARED benevolent,,,chances would be that it would be the opposite.

Just an opinion mind ya.
To be honest,, the space,,distance between habitable planets / stars is too large to be travelled.
Could be that the EXTRA-terrestrials are really INTRA-terrestrials. And are our ancestors that got wise to the way things were "evolving" and made a determined effort to stay hidden,,, on purpose.

in my opinion any advanced race out there that could come here,
would have to last much longer then us to learn to do this.
not to mention spend countless years in close quarters without killing each other.

of course if they are hundreds of times our size, and see us as grains of Sand,
or bugs, they may just scoop us up, throw us in a Baggie & take us back for testing
for life forms here.

but no my friend !

If they see us as We do them, and actually step out of their spacecraft in
a field, or worse in DC

It is not them that I would Fear.

It's what we would do to them unless they are destruction proofed :(

of course they may have been here forever & we see them like this

View attachment 1192756 indexg.jpg indexn.jpg indexk.jpg indexa.jpg

can anyone say without a doubt, in their world, they do not consider themselves advanced Races in a battle for this planet ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread