Bear with me......

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
You all that REALLY live in bear country might get a laugh out of this, and I'm kinda thinking I'm getting WAY too paranoid about this..but some reassurance would help. Living in CT, black bears have slowly returned over the past 10? years. Estimates are a population of approx. 300+ based on reported sitings...I spend a lot of time hiking alone in the limited state forests, preserves, etc. in my area. The fact that there is not a whole lot of undeveloped land around here, makes me think these areas must be home to some of them. Being the only pistol I own is a 5 shot 22, I'm thinking the only thing that it would be good for is shooting myself before I'm mauled to death.....so...besides seeing a shrink, any advice, or good odds (in my favor) on the chances of encountering in one, would be appreciated....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Because of the remote places we camp each summer,we usually encounter two or three bears and probally see about ten in total.
Black bears are generally nervous and easily frightened. Make sure that you make lots of noise when going through the underbrush,through dense woods or coming into a blind curve on a rail where you think bear activity might be . A whistle or clapper bells are a good noisemaker.
Bears do not like to be surprised and will generally not attack unless they are defending a cub,sick or feel threatened.
Here are some tips from the Black Bear Association

Stay calm - DO NOT RUN (running may elicit a chase response by the bear).

Pick up children so they don't run or scream; restrain dog; avoid eye contact and talk in soothing voice.

If the bear stands up, he is NOT going to attack but is curious and wants a better sniff or view.

Back away slowly; if bear chomps jaw, lunges, or slaps ground or brush with paw, he feels threatened.

Slowly retreat from area or make wide detour around bear; don't crowd or block bear's escape route.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I walked up to a Black bear in the wild.
Not on purpose, Just accidently.
It stood on it's hind leggs & I saw it & froze.
It come back down on all fours,
& debated on running away.
when it saw I was no Threat to it,
it
walked in a short circle & sat down.

I backed up Slowely, turned around & walked away.

99.9% of the time Black Bears are no Threat to Humans.
Unless you Back it into a Corner or get between it & its Young.

You can Spoil them Though, By feeding them.
do it long enough, They will Expect it & break in your home,
if you forget to continue feeding it.

IF you shoot a Black Bear out of Season,
Be prepaired to be arrested.

In My opinion, it is the Only Wild animal
that Should Be Protected.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Do ya feel lucky.... well, do ya?

If so, there's always bear mace.

urdefense_1950_903619.gif

http://www.defensedevices.com/specpepspray1.html

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
We have had several occasions where a bear has come into our camp. The thing that draws them is the smell of food.Since I cook over an open fire I am basically calling every wild critter in the woods. :) Keep everything sealed tight and make sure you dont just pitch your garbage .
We camp in a northern area that has alot of bear activity. Just be prepared and think. There is bear mace but I have never used it or had reason to. Bears coming out of hibernation are grumpy and usuallly have cubs.
We have a bigger problem here with wolves more than bears.

If a black bear attacks you and you do not have a firearm/mace , do not play dead. Act aggressively. Defend yourself with whatever means are available. You want to appear dominant and frighten the bear. Jump up and down, shout, and wave your arms. It may help to raise or wave your jacket or pack to make yourself look bigger.

You may be able to poke out both of the bear's eyes with your thumbs. A blind bear can't attack you.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The previous posters have all given you good advice. A chance encounter is usually pretty slim because Black Bears are secretive and mostly nocturnal in their feeding habits. Generally they have smelled or heard you and move off long before you can see them.

The two-legged critters in the woods are much more dangerous.

Jim

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a man , WW2 Vet, who was digging Ginsing, a young, cripple bear stalked, & attacked him, he got behind a tree & hit the bear with his hoe handle, so hard it hurt his arms, but it did the trick, & the bear left.
He was also stalked, & chased to his truck by a large bear, he then proceeded to buy a pistol, ( he never thought about bears being a danger), but he knows better now.
A man in the Ozark's , northeast of me, was barefooted in his pasture, walking around, a bear chased him up a tree, & bit his ankle.
Another man I know in the Ouachita Mts, was chased up a tree by a bear, which sat down, layed down, & stayed several minutes before wandering away, one also followed him, (smelled his fish on a stringer).
A lady who had been warned by the Fish & Game dept, to stop feeding bears, was knocked down into her pond by a bear.
A hunter, in a tree stand, had to shoot a bear with his bow, after it would not leave the area.
Another friend, shot a large Black bear in his yard, after it would not leave his pear tree alone, (Game & Fish tried, unsuccessfully to trap it ).
Probably, most will not be agressive, but there is alway's those few who are, that bother's me.

Fossis............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a 22 cal. would just make the bear mad. 8) AA

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Thanks for all the advice...

gypsyheart said:
Make sure that you make lots of noise when going through the underbrush,through dense woods or coming into a blind curve on a rail where you think bear activity might be . A whistle or clapper bells are a good noisemaker.

I heard about making noise gypsyheart, but I actually try and be quiet when I'm hiking so I can enjoy all the OTHER wildlife...but if I'm ever in grizzly country, I'll bring a whole marching band with me :)

gypsyheart said:
You may be able to poke out both of the bear's eyes with your thumbs. A blind bear can't attack you.

If I'm close enough to poke his eyes out, I think he's probably already attacked me.

jeff of pa said:
IF you shoot a Black Bear out of Season,
Be prepaired to be arrested.

I'd gladly be taken alive...

PBK said:
Do ya feel lucky.... well, do ya?

If so, there's always bear mace.

you always have an answer...

Just joking with you all, seriously, thanks again for the tips, I'm liking the mace idea the more I think about it, and gypsyheart....my hat's off to you, you obviously know a lot about bears or I doubt you'd be out picnicking with 'em.

PS - just came from todays pictures and saw "fluffy" ......well I'm off to order some mace...
[/quote]

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
I had a few face to faces with black bears in Northern California.

I now walk with a staff & I thump the errant rock in the trail or the ground enough to cause vibrations when in areas of low visibility like a blind corner as it notifies snakes & critters that I'm coming & usually they will move.

Also it's an aid to defend yourself if need be. ;)

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well, since the area of CT is about 3 million acres, and 500,000 of those acres are rural or woodlands, then if there are 300+ bears (we will say 500 for discussion purposes), then if you are walking through the woods, the chance of a bear being on the same acre as you is about 1 in 1000, or 0.1%. The chance of a bear being within a MILE of you is a little great, about 0.3%. (one square mile). But, since there isnt actually 500 bears, only 300+, then the chance of a bear being in the woods within 1 square mile of you is less than 0.2%. The chance of a bear comming into contact with you anywhere in CT (total land area) is about 0.098%, almost .1%, or 1 in 1000. The chance of a bear being within the same acre as you anywhere in CT total land area is about 0.048%. Less than 1 in 2000.

HH!

I have been here a while and never seen one yet.

-CC

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange thing was,
After I happend upon that one,
I was seeing them Regularly for the rest of that year.

Since then, I havn't seen any.

I think they hang in Packs.

& then move to a new area for awhile.

Being my area is a Big Off roaders Paradise now
also ran alot off

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
I heard a story once of folks which trail run....I think it was in Cal......anyway there were a few altercations with some bears (none serious I think). So with the problem came a solution.....as gyspy said make noise.....so the runners where instructed to wear small bells on there tennis shoes.....and were also told that if they saw any bear poop......on the trail they should go back...not knowing what bear poop looked like they were told that it would be the stuff with the little bells in it...........goodluck......lol......gregd573

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Copperhead said:
and gypsyheart....my hat's off to you, you obviously know a lot about bears or I doubt you'd be out picnicking with 'em.

Its just that I grew up in Black Bear Country and you have to learn about them if you are going to be camping among them....I am in the woods alot metal detecting so I really have to be aware of my surroundings.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
In Alaska the locals advise the tourists to wear small bells on their clothing. The small bells scare away most bears. They also advise them to be able to recognize Grizzy bear dung and when they are spotted to quickly leave the area.

You can readily spot Grizzy bear dung as it usually has small bells in it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

George

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
bakergeol said:
In Alaska the locals advise the tourists to wear small bells on their clothing. The small bells scare away most bears. They also advise them to be able to recognize Grizzy bear dung and when they are spotted to quickly leave the area.

You can readily spot Grizzy bear dung as it usually has small bells in it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

George
Now that is hillarious..... :D :D

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
All great advice, but the simplest answer is...

Run faster than the people your with.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
GuyInBack said:
All great advice, but the simplest answer is...

Run faster than the people your with.

It's just too perfect - did anyone else notice? The advice to run faster than everyone else... came from the "Guy In Back."

Maybe I just need more sleep - lol

Nan

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
When I was a tad of 5 or 6 or so My Dad was with the US Forest service in the Yellowstone and Gallatin valley in Montana. I learned that Black Bears are the same the world over.
Some of the rules I learned were....
1, Don't feed them
2, Don't approach them
3, Never assume a solitary bear is alone
4, Never get between a sow and her cubs
5, If confronted ... finding no escape, always take as large a stance as possible. Pick up sticks in each hand to wave and increase your normal size. Make more noise than the bear and longer, Never retreat and advance toward the bear if you can, Making noise all the way.

this won't work with a Grizzly, but black bears are intimidated pretty easily as long as it isn't a sow with you between her and the cubs.

Stay away from a Grizzly no matter what. they generally have a territory that can be a thousand miles. This guy is one of two North American Mammals that will hunt a man if he feels you wronged him in some way.

This is some of what I learned about bears when I was little.
Hope it helps.

OD

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
finally a subject I really know something about. If by chance you happen across a black bear during the day then the bear will almost always run away but assume nothing, an injured or sick bear may attack for no better reason than he or she is pissed off. Now If you ask any of the true black bear experts about night time encounters they'll tell you to the last person, if you see one at night run for your life you are most definately being hunted. BTW, when ever you encounter one even when running for your life try not to turn your back to them, that can trigger an attack. I've personally seen black bears take full in the face sprays from anti bear sprays, to wit they licked their chops and continued to sniff the air.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread