Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to find some of our old egg threads, no dice..... :laughing7:

I'm wondering, when do eggs really go bad, past the expiration date? :icon_scratch:

I got some Eggland Best eggs, says May 7. I thought there was like a 90 day window, after the date? (may, june.... er..... july, august?)

I figure I'll make up a batch of deviled eggs, as I got some sweet relish and some dill pickles yesterday, so I figured I'd make some sweet and some dill..... I so hate throwing food away, but then too, I don't wanna get sick from it. :laughing7:

Any of you egg or chook/chicken folks, got egg expiration experience? :laughing7:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
219f48f5afff1a085e63cc2eab9e90b5.jpg

Lukewarm water in a glass. Put one egg in glass. If it floats, throw it out. Repeat until done.

Can you really trust the dates on those cartons anyhow? I mean, how do the chickens know?

I remember getting an egg once that had a partially formed chick ... wonder how many times the person gathering the eggs missed that one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip! I threw them out. :BangHead:
I couldn't remember if it was, they float or sink, makes them ok. :dontknow:
Good to see you, too! Hope all is well with you and yours!

I cracked one open, outta 8, looked, smelled ok.
Starting boiling water. Got eggs sitting out, I usually "dip" my eggs, in the water, as it gets to boiling, vs just dropping them down in boiling water. I've had shells crack when you do that, sometimes. (kinda like dipping your shrimp, before you throw him into the ocean, don't wanna shock him, till he gets ate up). :laughing7:

When I put them in with the spoon, the all went to the bottom. One acted like it wanted to float, but it went on down. The water was way past "lukewarm", though.
I didn't like the way they looked, after being cooked. And, at that point, you certainly can't go by smell. :laughing7:
Just something not right :icon_scratch:, so when it comes to possibly making myself sick:
better safe than sorry! :notworthy:

I got fresh eggs other day, like I said, I really hate to throw food away.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I'm wondering, when do eggs really go bad, past the expiration date?"

When you see people endorsing choking and force feeding them to eat... and still produce a quality "product". They (eggs) all taste the same I've heard or been told...??? And I'm sure this means the meat as well... This knowledge comes from folks much smarter then I... And I'm sure they already know this or will let me know again soon.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well having 7 chickens....I can tell you without a doubt that fresh eggs are noticeably better! I have been told duck eggs are great for baking.
Deviled eggs? OH YEH!!!:headbang: My wife puts a little horse radish in hers.....Best deviled eggs I have ever had!
Sorry Pat-Cat I'm not there to try yours.... :laughing7: And of course Paprika sprinkled on them

DSCN0021.JPG

HAH! I knew there was a pic of these....from the once famous "what's on the menu tonight" thread!

deviled.JPG

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I'm wondering, when do eggs really go bad, past the expiration date?"

When you see people endorsing choking and force feeding them to eat... and still produce a quality "product". They (eggs) all taste the same I've heard or been told...??? And I'm sure this means the meat as well... This knowledge comes from folks much smarter then I... And I'm sure they already know this or will let me know again soon.

I was wrong to post this comment and am sorry.... Brad

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you recycle them by putting them back in the chicken?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My four hens lay 1 egg a day. Then beg for treats. If you wind up in the hospital after eating bad eggs, yes, well, then they were bad.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
I grew up on a farm where Dad raised chickens by the hundred. Eggs can be kept w/out refrigeration (but not in the sun) for 3 weeks (palatable but not tasty). Fresh eggs are hard to peel for deviled eggs but aren't as good flavor as fresh, we boil fresh eggs & chop them up w/ the mustard, mayo, etc. & just mix it all together. Eggs that float are old. Chickens are stupid birds, I love a good chicken dinner because it means 1 more dead chicken & eggs for breakfast means a couple more will never grow into chickens.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your small intestine will let you know what is bad

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told by my neighbor chicken farmer that eggs will stay good for a very long time if
you don't wash them. Seems some coating on them prevents spoiling.
If the yoke looks darker than normal you have a good tasting egg.

I find a lot of flavor difference in eggs. Most super market eggs fail the taste test.
Anyone ever try a thousand year old egg? I picked one up once at a Chinese grocery once.
I left it there.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your small intestine will let you know what is bad

I and many more folks don't even have a "small intestine".... Kind of like passing gas... some folks do and some of us can only dream of doing it.... :dontknow:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmmm, I thought everyone was born with one.
What happened to yours?

Ummmm you DO know what an intestine is?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell yes we know what you humans call a "small intestine" is. It's been well documented and reviewed... THANKS!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been subscribed to this channel for a while, but just came across this vid tonight.

8 months???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions