Deer caught eating human remains for first time, say scientists

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.yahoo.com/news/deer-caught-eating-human-remains-064514436.html

Rachael Revesz
The Independent May 9, 2017

654216e2fca88514b297bddbad76f26e.jpg
Deer caught eating human remains for first time, say scientists

Scientists have discovered the first instance of a deer which eats human remains. The animal was caught mid-feast by a motion-sensitive camera at the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility at Texas State University, a 26-acre area where forensic scientists study how human bodies decompose in the wild.

Scientists also monitor how animals interact with the bodies, but the reaction from the white-tailed deer was an unexpected crunch point.

Deer are mostly herbivores, although they have been known to scavenge small mammals or birds and occasionally eat other meats. As documented in the Journal of Forensic Scientists, the experts explained that the animal captured on camera was the “first known photographic evidence of deer gnawing human remains”.

The deer was scavenging when it came across the decomposing body, which had already been feasted on by vultures. Experts watched as the animal held “the bone in its mouth like a cigar”, on two occasions, in January 2015.

The body had already been outside for 182 days.

Experts estimated the deer was chewing dry bone rather than eating soft tissue.

Deer gnaw on bone of other – non-human – animals to “possibly to obtain minerals absent in their diet” including phosphorous, calcium and sodium during the winter months.

For forensic scientists, the study was not solely to analyse animal behaviour, but also the marks left on the bone by the deer are also useful for future reference.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even vegetarians find it tough to turn down ribs...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deer and humans have been around for a few years now.
I highly doubt this is a first.

perhaps first time for that particular deer, since they obviously fed the body to the animals for research.

unless perhaps I'm reading it wrong. and they mean it's the first time they have it on film to prove it.

I just hope the Body belonged to an Animal Rights Person, who donated their body to Animal Research :laughing7: personally that & Dog food are their only use.

I have to agree though. Been awhile since I had some Good Ribs.

Last edited:

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the start of revenge! Were officially screwed, especially those of us who spend a lot of time in the woods.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
^^^

Attachments

• 2AEA01A200000578-3177611-Imagine_we_could_take_Dr_Palmer_s_head_and_skin_and_have_them_fr-m-42_1.jpg
    2AEA01A200000578-3177611-Imagine_we_could_take_Dr_Palmer_s_head_and_skin_and_have_them_fr-m-42_1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 75

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I wonder how many millions of dollars that little study (how human bodies decompose in the wild) is costing. Universities have toooooooooooooooooo much money yet keep raising tuition - just doesn't add up for me. But hey - what do I know!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giving the deer a bone...

has dogs pissed everywhere.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution at work.....I did a Master's thesis on deer food and habitat management and never came across this in the literature....must be an alien deer.....Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread