Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dumb stunts your boss has done.

I used to work for a private ambulance company. The boss was to put it nicely a :censored:. A co-worker got hired on by the county EMS. He turned in his two week notice. When he walked in for his last day the boss fired him. The reason- so the employee could not say he resigned.

that boss is a big :censored:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working on an airplane that had a jammed dual cargo door. The two halfs of the door has passed each other and it was jammed up tight. I was climbing in from the front seats to see if I could get them un jammed gently from the inside. The boss walked out and simply ripped both doors open which tore and bent the skin of the aircraft door. Now I was looking at a sheet metal repair. I was shocked to say the least, but what he did next was the topper.. He wrote ME up for breaking the door!!! WTH? Walked right out and handed me the write up in front of everyone! I didnt break it, you did. The senior mechanics took my write up and went to the company manager and explained that they had seen it all, and that I in no way broke that door. Boss got called in and raked over the coals. I heard they fired him later on after I left. What an ass. He also had rules that we were to turn in our co workers for any mis work and if we didn't rat them out, we would be written up for not ratting on a coworker.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bosses like these are usually not happy with their life so they take it out on others. I happen to have a great boss and our place is truly like a family. Hate to hear stories of :censored:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, at least you don't work for someone stupid.

I've been here at my current place of employment for 16 years. For the first 10 years, I worked for one of the most intelligent, kindest, business minded men I've ever met. He grew a furniture business from nothing to a fixture in our community.

Unfortunately (for both of us and one of my long time co workers), he passed away in 2011 ... and in the ensuing stock holder negotiations, his son maneuvered things so that he ended up the owner, and boss.

Would you believe that you can sell and deliver merchandise in a town 50 miles away, but that is too far to go if the debtor doesn't pay? That's what my employer believes. In fact, he believes that all collections can be done behind a desk. One should never have to "chase" (meaning drive to their house and confirm residence and try to motivate them to remedy their delinquency) an account because it costs too much money (in his mind).

Would you believe that a businessman doesn't want his sales staff to know what is in their warehouse inventory? If they want / need to know, they should ask him about quantities ... and he's wrong more than he's right. It's not unusual to sell thousands of dollars of merchandise they don't have. However, when it happens, it's always funny to him.

Would you believe an employer would rather give a customer a "cash discount" out of the store til for damage caused by the delivery men rather than deducting the amount given to the customer from the offending employee's check?

Would you believe that an employer hires someone and part of their job is to price merchandise and put those prices on the items ... but he has no problem that she spends most of the day watching youtube videos, playing on her phone, and complaining about how she doesn't have time to price everything on the sales floor?

Would you believe that an employer hires a bookkeeper to handle all accounts payable ... but won't allow them to sign the checks? Oh, he won't sign them either ... he sends her to me so I can listen to how she doesn't have time to price merchandise.

Would you believe that these two do not want to let any other sales people have access to the invoices from our purchases so that they could figure the price for a customer? He want us to ask the bookkeeper how much an item is ... of course, customers always like the items without price tags best.

I handle all the store's legal work, appearing in Federal Bankruptcy Court when someone files bankruptcy, preparing documents that our attorney puts on his letterhead for the same Federal Bankruptcy Court, I write civil complaints, and personally pursue all claims in District Court that do not require an attorney, and more.

I handle all collections, repossessions, skip tracing, etc. I also run credit reports, approve / disapprove credit applications, and do background checks when needed.

After his father's death, my responsibilities were increased. I now handle the security system ... not arming and disarming, but repairing and programming it. I am also now over the surveillance system, where I used to be only concerned with the computer portion. I am the boss whenever he isn't there, but if I make any changes in the showroom or anything else, he changes it back as soon as he gets back.

I've even been known to do the janitorial work ... it's beneath the dignity of our delivery guys. Besides, it might cut into their horseplay / phone time. I've been known to do plumbing, electrical (which I actually do know about), and even gardening.

Now, here's the kicker:

My last raise was in 2008. Yep, while his dad was still alive. I was scheduled for another raise in December 2011 ... which I never got.

Oh, everyone else has gotten 2 raises since then except the one woman who knows what she's doing. She got one.

I'll swap with just about any of you ... and I have a witness to everything I said here being true.

Chadeaux, "I'm looking for a new job every day" in southeast Arkansas.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bosses like these are usually not happy with their life so they take it out on others. I happen to have a great boss and our place is truly like a family. Hate to hear stories of :censored:

You are right, so I'm starting a good boss thread.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that matters is that he gave his notice, the boss just qualified your former coworker for unemployment, but can't say the fired employee didn't give a notice. (Been there)

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The work assignment: Take 30 lb. shift bars from crate, wipe off excess oul, repackage for shipment to final customer.

The problem: The guy doing the job reports to the Shift Supervisor that the parts are rusty. Shift supervisor agrees and shuts down that station.

Management reaction: They call the overseas manufacturer and are told that is not rust. Rather it is oxidation from sitting on the docks prior to being loaded onto a ship.

Shift Supervisor tells this to the entire shift. Why I don't know because this issue only affected two guys on the shift.

Employees reaction: (Behind the supervisor's back of course.): Um, oxidation is rust.

Outcome: Parts shipped to customer. They are not happy. :BangHead: They refuse to accept rusty parts.

I will give the shift supervisor credit. He admitted before the shift that the employee had been 100% right.

I found out later the QC Manager and the VP of Production had reamed the shift supervisor a new one. It cost the company if a shipment was late. Of course it cost them even more shipping defective parts. They never did apologize to the shift supervisor.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First shift " pets" were not filling orders. And shipping sub spec parts.
Four of us were selected/ volunteered to work third shift ,minus a hilo driver and a supervisor and so with less a crew than first shift.
A supervisor from another department would pass through once or twice a night to check on us ,and first shift supervisor took our paperwork to turn in to the office.
We shipped more assembled parts than first shift with very few returns.
The company C.E.O. started coming in to " work" with us.
I was assembling and packing and driving hilo and he added sh%# work to my nights ,sorting mixed colored bumpers on bedstead racks ect..
Then he showed me returns and said we could not have such parts shipped.
( Mind you we got along and were civil).
I showed him where we marked each part shipped by the person that assembled it and welcomed him to show me any parts from third shift that were returned.

Fast forward several months when we were back on first shift and the first shift supervisor had quit.
I cornered the C.E.O.and said I have a bone to pick with you.....
Why, when you were under the impression we were not doing anything on third shift and you came down to work with us did you not voice your concern?
We were out producing a bigger crew and had better quality without supervision or support.

Then I asked him if he understood that the first shift supervisor was taking our paperwork and adding our count to his slacker pets on first shifts count?
He said he had no idea.....

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I worked for others I got a new manager. There had been an ongoing problem where we met with a building owner. Prior to this there had been numerous attempts to solve the problem but no solutions. Because I had come from a different climate I told my new manager what was done where I used to live and he decided to bring the idea up in the meeting.

When the owner was told of the new solution he asked "Why has no one else ever brought up this idea?" My manager said "Because they aren't as smart as me."

I just snickered but I also knew he would take credit for anything else in the future so I kept my ideas and solutions to myself or just did them. That's just one of the great things about having your own business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread