Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Warning to dog owners who hike in the woods

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2016
    Vermont
    Bandido umax
    160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Warning to dog owners who hike in the woods

Walking my wife’s pup in the woods today. Went a couple feet off a trail to sniff around a stump and got caught in a leg hold. Thank god it wasn’t a Conibear. I got cut on something popping him out. Think I got the worst of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4BC921FD-EDF2-49E5-900E-D98558FF6FEC.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1524143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD144FF3-5A76-4E55-9EBE-37F628C65612.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1524144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	397F8117-7195-4532-A786-625B925AF9EB.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	815.2 KB 
ID:	1524145  

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2394 times
    Prospecting
    The trap that kills more dogs than any other is a simple snare. Completely silent, and quickly lethal. Glad you were there to get your dog out.
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13355 times
    Lure or bait attracted the dog.
    A stump made a good spot to make a " set".
    Either a canine pee post type ,or a cache type ,lure nearby and bait in hole under stump , maybe. (Fox like to hide food sometimes).

Good job releasing the dog.
    When it showed interest you noticed. Next time....a more nervous approach might signal you to give a leave it command. Smart lookin dog though might have it figured out itself.

Who owns the property you were on?

I have a coyote trapper working mine with my blessing.

You might have cut yourself on a trap stake.

Dog should be fine. Some swelling a day or two at most. Being pinched briefly ,it may already be over it. Unlike yourself.....
    Last edited by releventchair; Dec 07, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    MadTom, sprailroad and Kray Gelder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16839 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Glad your pup is okay.
    A little more caution when in the woods. I've been pretty lucky so far.
    MadTom and Kray Gelder like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Dec 2016
    Vermont
    Bandido umax
    160 times
    I have nothing against trapping. I hunt some. The land is private, but open for hikers. Scared the dog more than anything.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Dec 2016
    Vermont
    Bandido umax
    160 times
    I don’t think snares are legal in VT. I’m going to have yeti look that up. I guess a good pair of wire cutters would take care of that. Leg holds are easy to release. Conibears are another story. I would think anyone who walks in the woods should read up on how to release a pet from a trap. I would think a flatlander would freak out and not know what to do.

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Glad your pup is okay.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

“Fancy some lemonade Lance?” - Sheila

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10524 times
    Metal Detecting
    you are a good man Tom
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    WHEN WILL YOU SUBMIT TO MY BRILLIANCE AND IMPROVE YOUR LIFE?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2394 times
    Prospecting
    Conibears are bad news, but usually outdoor dogs are too big to fit in them. And, if your dog ranges out very far, the wire cutters won't help on a snare...
    the dog will be dead before you ever know it's in the snare. That's my biggest concern with Heidi, she ranges out, and then back, and I don't usually know exactly where she is. But, I pay attention for signs of trapping activity in the places we roam. If I think it's being worked, I go elsewhere.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim in Idaho; Dec 09, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow Tom, that's amazing. So glad it ended relatively better than it could have. I have to remark that all who have replied are seemingly so casual about this. What the H are they trapping? No, that's a stupid question, as I am aware of what critters wander in the north woods. Why are they still trapping? Are skins still that valuable? Real curious what financial gains justify this in populated areas.

Lying is now the norm. The truth is not only unwelcome, it is offensive.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2394 times
    Prospecting
    It doesn't have to make economic sense. No more than detecting makes economic sense. People trap because they enjoy trapping. It's an outdoor pursuit, and one that can pay for itself.
    Heck, a couple of years ago, in a town not far from my home, a government trapper put out an exploding cyanide device for coyotes. This device was placed within a 1/2 mile of homes! So, along comes a 15 year old kid with his dog. The dog uproots the device and it goes off, spraying the dog with cyanide. The dog dies....the kid is sickened but survives. He also has continuing health issues. The guy putting out the device got off scott-free, though he violated several rules about the placing of the device. These devices are still being used, and if you're running around BLM lands, you could easily run into one, and under the right circumstances, it could kill you...not just your dog. So why no outrage? Personally, I see no valid reason for the use of these to kill coyotes.
    Jim
    songboat and Kray Gelder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    It doesn't have to make economic sense. No more than detecting makes economic sense. People trap because they enjoy trapping. It's an outdoor pursuit, and one that can pay for itself.
    Heck, a couple of years ago, in a town not far from my home, a government trapper put out an exploding cyanide device for coyotes. This device was placed within a 1/2 mile of homes! So, along comes a 15 year old kid with his dog. The dog uproots the device and it goes off, spraying the dog with cyanide. The dog dies....the kid is sickened but survives. He also has continuing health issues. The guy putting out the device got off scott-free, though he violated several rules about the placing of the device. These devices are still being used, and if you're running around BLM lands, you could easily run into one, and under the right circumstances, it could kill you...not just your dog. So why no outrage? Personally, I see no valid reason for the use of these to kill coyotes.
    Jim
    Jim, I have never heard of cyanide devices, exploding no less. That is truly a criminal device. For a recreational pursuit, a non selective trap, left out there to catch anything that sniffs around, is a far cry from swinging a metal detector. The person may gain tremendous enjoyment from it, but IMO it's careless, thoughtless, and selfish. If you cause harm to innocent creatures, like someone's dog, I strongly suggest a different form of recreation. This isn't the early 1800's, there are people, kids, and pets everywhere. Stupid dog, sure hoped he learned from that. Ass backward logic.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12709 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Place I detect has a guy trapping there. There are fluorescent markers set very close to each trap he sets.
    Jim in Idaho and Kray Gelder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Place I detect has a guy trapping there. There are fluorescent markers set very close to each trap he sets.
    That will help you, does your cat or dog recognize the meaning of markers? Just saying. Mad Toms post, the injury caused to his dog and himself, got my blood up. Once, while deer hunting ( a selective form of harvest ), in the foothills near Vassar, Idaho, as I neared a clearing when day was breaking, I caught a heavy fishing line across my neck, and cow bells started ringing. I didn't know what the H just happened! Apparently a weed grower's alarm system, left in place long after harvest. I wasn't injured, and spent the next hour or more reeling in this trap, and collecting a couple cow bells. Another example of thoughtlessness. It was like 50 lb test mono.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2679 times
    This is the first time that I had heard of this problem. I wish that you both are in better health.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links