RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are the bottles I came out with yesterday.

DSC_0861.jpg

O. P. Klee soda bottle, Dayton Ohio.

DSC_0862.jpg

Sher-A-Cola, Lexington Kentucky. I heard these were rare.

DSC_0863.jpg

Crystal Bottling Company, Lexington Kentucky.

DSC_0864.jpg

S. H. Frederick beer bottle, Braddock Pennsylvania.

DSC_0865.jpg

Anheuser - Busch beer, St. Louis Missouri.

DSC_0868.jpg

Beer or bitters bottle. This is the one that I was crushing with my hand. :)

DSC_0870.jpg

Dr. J. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters.

DSC_0867.jpg

Blue Lick Mineral Water bottle. It looks like a regular wine bottle, but this was actually the style used by the company in the 1880s-1890s. It had a paper label once.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RR,

Nice selection of bottles you picked up....now wheres that confederate bill you were talking about...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
folks,

During my morning walk there were tons of people along the water near the lake...turns out it was the annual dragon boat races going on.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RR,

Nice selection of bottles you picked up....now wheres that confederate bill you were talking about...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

You know dagburn well where it is, lol!

I did find an image of the one I had found, before surrendering it to that girl however.

23338270_1.jpg Mine..er, well, not mine, was 1864 issue.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dreaded this job but mission is complete,finally :) 002.JPG

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

I did find an image of the one I had found, before surrendering it to that girl however.

View attachment 1720675
... was 1864 issue.
In the 1950's there was a company that printed Confederate currency as "play money"($1, $5 $10 $20 & $100) that was sold in 5 & 10 stores, and Cheerios cereal put them in their boxes (1953?) as a prize- I still have the $100 bill from then.
On the back, bottom left was the word "facsmile" stating it was a copy.
The bill you posted was a part of that 5 & 10 Package that sold for $0.75
These facsimile Confederate bills were made by the WHITMAN PUBLISHING CO, that also printed coin folders and childrens Golden Books.
I was at an antique mall, where a vendor was selling these as the real deal for a high price, and he was very upset when I pointed out the "facesmile" on the back.

Uncle Daveys in Jacksonville Florida has a large selection of Confederate bills as well as other items from the War of Northern Aggression.
http://www.uncledaveys.com

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the 1950's there was a company that printed Confederate currency as "play money"($1, $5 $10 $20 & $100) that was sold in 5 & 10 stores, and Cherrios cereal put them in their boxes (1953?) as a prize- I still have the $100 bill from then.
On the back, bottom left was the word "facesmile" stating it was a copy.
The bill you posted was a part of that 5 & 10 Package that sold for $0.75
I was at an antique mall, where a vendor was selling these as the real deal for a high price, and he was very upset when I pointed out the "facesmile" on the back.

Uncle Daveys in Jacksonville Florida has a large selection of Confederate bills as well as other items from the War of Northern Aggression.
Uncle Davey's Americana Civil War Antique Store in Jacksonville, Florida

VERY good eye! I inspected that bill, and I did not see that facemile stamp on it. I might have missed it. Thank you for your advice by all means though. I'll keep my eye out for that in the future.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0871.jpg

Here is my bottle shelf now. Due to high prices, I have spent a little more than I should of. BUT with the blessing of American Capitalism, I have about 30 or so bottles I have in the "for sale pile" along with some other antique odds and ends. I think i'll become a charter member, and sell some stuff on here.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0872.jpg

Hey Tom, I knapped this as an experiment. It came from a Bud Light bottle I found on the side of the road. I know you like notched stuff, so I'll try a notched version when I can.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am heading up to Yankee land, in Pennsylvania tomorrow. I plan on trying to stay out of trouble, introduce some Northern Girls to Southern charm (called Southern Stupidity by Northern Folk), and maybe find a few artifacts along the way.

I did have one thought though. Remember the last time some Southerners went to Pennsylvania?

high-water-mark-painting.jpg

Yeah, from what I remember, it didn't end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread