RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Waldgirmes-Horse-Head-Conserved.jpg
BERLIN, GERMANY—According to an Artnet News report, a court has ruled that a farmer who owned the land in central Germany where a 2,000-year-old bronze sculpture was discovered in 2009 should receive greater compensation from the government. Archaeologists discovered the well-preserved Roman sculpture of a horse’s head adorned with gold leaves at the bottom of a 36-foot well, where it had been covered with water and protected from the air. Bronze sandals, found nearby, indicate the statue had a rider. Scholars now suspect the bronzes, which date to about A.D. 9, were part of a large statue depicting Augustus, Rome’s first emperor. Article dated August 17, 2018.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Well the young man is from Wales same place as Tom Jones the singer and Richard Burton the actor who played Julius Caeser.

He mentions currants(black and red), rhubarb, black raspbererries also the tubers go by the name of jerusaleum artichokes or sunchokes I believe.

Hope that helps.

-

Bill, I understand Americans quite perfect now but here I am complete lost. What an terrible british accent... :laughing7: I didn´t understand one single plant he mentioned there. Ok.. Apple was clear to hear :hello2:

Can you help ?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simon,

Pretty shabby conservation job they should have turned it over to our buddy Tom to do a proper job.....:laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

[

QUOTE=Simon1;6023642] View attachment 1661123 PENSACOLA, FLORIDA–The Pensacola News Journal reports that conservation of a Spanish breastplate that dates back at least 450 years has revealed decorative details on its surface. Recovered from the site of the Emanuel Point I shipwreck in 1996, the armor is thought to have been worn by a conquistador in Tristan de Luna’s army in 1559. At the time, the armor was probably about one-tenth to one-quarter of an inch thick. Now, after years underwater, the iron has been converted into iron sulfide measuring only about one-fiftieth of an inch thick. Concretions on its surface, however, measuring up to three inches thick preserved its shape. John Bratten of the University of West Florida said he poured epoxy into the back of the armor and left it to harden for several years to make a cast. Student James Gazaway has continued to clean and conserve the breastplate over the past year. “Right around the neckline there’s four parallel rows of lines about one millimeter apart,” he said. “Very precise, definitely inscribed, and part of the original decoration work on the piece.” Nov.1, 2018

[/QUOTE]

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Well I'll give you another clue it is a yatch belonging to this fellow.

-

5 Mark means that it is a german stamp for sure but I don´t know the ship. Was the Marshall isles a german colony at this time?? I am lost here :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Attachments

• kaiser wilhelm.jpg
    kaiser wilhelm.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 42

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill said: Pretty shabby conservation job they should have turned it over to our buddy Tom to do a proper job.....
laughing9.gif
laughing9.gif
laughing9.gif

==========

I agree Bill. But then Tom would probably let it soak to long and disintegrate :laughing7:

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well gentlemen, it's that time of the morning so................goodnight and lights out. :notworthy: smiley good night 4.jpg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting