RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spotted some bigger flakes so I decided to pan em. 004.JPG 008.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang roger......is this all from that quartz ?? Congrats looking good !!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill said: Pretty shabby conservation job they should have turned it over to our buddy Tom to do a proper job.....
laughing9.gif
laughing9.gif
laughing9.gif

==========

I agree Bill. But then Tom would probably let it soak to long and disintegrate :laughing7:

-

WOA ! :violent1:

Buddy, the grenade died from itself ! Wasn´t my fault :headbang: Also I fix that :laughing7: It will look later like a tuned Toaster :laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181215_162758.jpg 20181215_162709.jpg
20181215_162727.jpg
Made the rest of the first cut on the big curved sabicu log. Its gonna take a couple more guys than us to move this piece and get it flipped. You can see how we cut badly curved logs with a custom built rail for the chainsaw to slide on. Instead of removing the rail we will flip the entire top cut and use the rail as a cradle to hold the entire log. Each consecutive slice will be stacked on the cradle in order. We put inch and a half sticker boards between the slices to let the air flow through. After that we ratchet strap the log tight in 3-4 places and re wax the end grain. attach a tag with all the info and shes ready to go. That's my partner "Alaskan chainsaw man", hes playing bartender and serving a drink from our imagined curved bar top. These tops will have epoxy pours throughout them as there is a lot of knot and rot here and there. An awesome stand alone curved bar for the tiki hut.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom,

Well the young man is from Wales same place as Tom Jones the singer and Richard Burton the actor who played Julius Caeser.

He mentions currants(black and red), rhubarb, black raspbererries also the tubers go by the name of jerusaleum artichokes or sunchokes I believe.

Hope that helps.

-

Thanks Bill !! That helps a lot!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang roger......is this all from that quartz ?? Congrats looking good !!

Some from that big quartz,some from Contrary creek VA. and some from NC.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
well my whole family woke up with a cold

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1661174 View attachment 1661175
View attachment 1661180
Made the rest of the first cut on the big curved sabicu log. Its gonna take a couple more guys than us to move this piece and get it flipped. You can see how we cut badly curved logs with a custom built rail for the chainsaw to slide on. Instead of removing the rail we will flip the entire top cut and use the rail as a cradle to hold the entire log. Each consecutive slice will be stacked on the cradle in order. We put inch and a half sticker boards between the slices to let the air flow through. After that we ratchet strap the log tight in 3-4 places and re wax the end grain. attach a tag with all the info and shes ready to go. That's my partner "Alaskan chainsaw man", hes playing bartender and serving a drink from our imagined curved bar top. These tops will have epoxy pours throughout them as there is a lot of knot and rot here and there. An awesome stand alone curved bar for the tiki hut.

-

Bart, any idea yet what you will build out of it ?

Great idea with that frame!! Was wondering before I read your text.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181215_174412.jpg
Here is another rare hard wood called "willow bustic" this is the termite nest sliced long ways. I'm getting 2-300 a slice for these boards and they sell quickly. Looks like I'm getting in on this epoxy pour craze !! Were selling this ate up termite wood more than anything else. Epoxy pours go quick so these guys are here every 2 weeks for more wood. They are forcing me to cut more of this stock. This epoxy craze has been a blessing, I'm cutting and selling stuff I didn't even want to bother with.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

Bart, any idea yet what you will build out of it ?

Great idea with that frame!! Was wondering before I read your text.

Bar tops for sure tom !! Tom you and bill and everyone who posted those epoxy pour videos got me going in that direction and its paying off !! Thanks guys.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well my whole family woke up with a cold

Yuuuck.

Not good when everyone shows symptoms.

Home air quality been checked?
Don't know if you recently started running a heater or furnace.

I been fighting dry air by using a vaporizer here while slacking off getting out hunting in the real air.

Don't lick any shopping cart handles.....:laughing7:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Simon,

Pretty shabby conservation job they should have turned it over to our buddy Tom to do a proper job.....:laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

[

QUOTE=Simon1;6023642] View attachment 1661123 PENSACOLA, FLORIDA–The Pensacola News Journal reports that conservation of a Spanish breastplate that dates back at least 450 years has revealed decorative details on its surface. Recovered from the site of the Emanuel Point I shipwreck in 1996, the armor is thought to have been worn by a conquistador in Tristan de Luna’s army in 1559. At the time, the armor was probably about one-tenth to one-quarter of an inch thick. Now, after years underwater, the iron has been converted into iron sulfide measuring only about one-fiftieth of an inch thick. Concretions on its surface, however, measuring up to three inches thick preserved its shape. John Bratten of the University of West Florida said he poured epoxy into the back of the armor and left it to harden for several years to make a cast. Student James Gazaway has continued to clean and conserve the breastplate over the past year. “Right around the neckline there’s four parallel rows of lines about one millimeter apart,” he said. “Very precise, definitely inscribed, and part of the original decoration work on the piece.” Nov.1, 2018

[/QUOTE]

-

Looks like those who did that has not the right tools and/or experience to find the original surface.

Anyway, this "restoration" looks real like a total mess :BangHead: Horrible!

First of all after desalination they should have cleaned the backside with air abrasion as good as possible and put the pieces together with epoxy and bandages to stabilize it. Than it is possible to work on the front to get rid of all the concretions with air abrasion and round glass beads. Aluminum oxide or any other crude materials damage the surface to much and in this case it could also destroy any fine decorations on front of that plate which are not to see yet! The rest can be done by rotating tools and other stuff to bring it back to the original shape. All the missing parts could be formed out of colored epoxy as well.

Seems I have to move to the US and forget that Madeira thing :laughing7: So if someone has a job for me, let me know :headbang:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Bar tops for sure tom !! Tom you and bill and everyone who posted those epoxy pour videos got me going in that direction and its paying off !! Thanks guys.

-

Bart, I bet it will pay off after seeing your latest photos! This dark brown wood with white epoxy looking GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread