Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: .308 AR for Deer Hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2018
    87 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Now is a good time to buy a SCAR17. The Scar20 just came out so there are a lot of people trying to sell them off quick
    macronova likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1660 times
    Prospecting
    The rifle is the last thing you need to worry about.
    Higher up on the list is a lifted Chevy with a 35 foot camper and a razor behind that.
    And before that you need to move to Texas and gain about 300 lbs hehe. And bring your wife and mother in the razor with ya like they do here, but you cant leave the razor to hunt cuz you're too fat and out of shape. Well I guess round is a shape.
    Then take some "sound shots" like they do here.
    You know, that's when you hear something in an Aspen grove so you shoot in the grove too scare it out. (I've been told this by the texan mouth breathers)
    Make sure you leave plenty of trash and piles of exposed toilet paper close around the campsite, and even receipts with your name on them. Also dump your Blackwater tanks in the closest mulch before you leave but dont worry, FS is only concerned with permits so feel free to do anything you want. After all you dont live here.
    Also make sure your lifted truck has 4 ply Passenger rated tires. If your gonna spend a week totally out of your element you may as well have lots of flats to make it more fun. No one tells a Texan about tires cuz they probably invented it and they will say that.
    And when finding an area to hunt, dont drive in far. The last fence line just past the houses is fine and way more convenient. No need to waste fuel. When the gunshot animal runs onto the property bolt cutters come in handy to cut the fence, maybe more important than the rifle you use.
    There are many other things to think about if you're a serious hunter. Just to list a few popular ones around the gunnison valley.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1660 times
    Prospecting
    The rifle is the last thing you need to worry about.
    Higher up on the list is a lifted Chevy with a 35 foot camper and a razor behind that.
    And before that you need to move to Texas and gain about 300 lbs hehe. And bring your wife and mother in the razor with ya like they do here, but you cant leave the razor to hunt cuz you're too fat and out of shape. Well I guess round is a shape.
    Then take some "sound shots" like they do here.
    You know, that's when you hear something in an Aspen grove so you shoot in the grove too scare it out. (I've been told this by the mouth breathers)
    Make sure you leave plenty of trash and piles of exposed toilet paper close around the campsite, and even receipts with your name on them. Also dump your black water tanks in the closest gulch before you leave but dont worry, FS is only concerned with permits so feel free to do anything you want. After all you dont live here.
    Also make sure your lifted truck has 4 ply Passenger rated tires. If your gonna spend a week totally out of your element you may as well have lots of flats to make it more fun. No one tells a Texan about tires cuz they probably invented it and they will say that.
    And when finding an area to hunt, dont drive in far. The last fence line just past the houses is fine and way more convenient. No need to waste fuel. When the gut shot animal runs onto the property bolt cutters come in handy to cut the fence, maybe more important than the rifle you use.
    There are many other things to think about if you're a serious hunter. Just to list a few popular ones around the gunnison valley.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Dec 04, 2018 at 11:51 AM.
    macronova likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5366 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness medic View Post
    No worries, I understand the hostility to bad hunters, especially the type bravo described above. Excuse my mockery but as you can imagine I’ve gotten a lot of crap from online people who jump to conclusions and bash me, and it gets old quick
    I'm sorry, but posting the image of that shot elk with a fist-sized hole
    in it's middle doesn't help the situation one bit. I agree though that you
    did the right thing in putting it down with an extra round.

As for the AR, personally speaking, I am not a fan of that platform for
    a hunting rifle. It's shorter barrel and design are for situations of battle,
    and while it's a superior weapon in that arena, I don't see it as a good
    Elk rifle. But then, to each his own. So long as you're accurate with it at
    hunting distances, then all else is irrelevant.

Any hunting I do is strictly for subsistence, and I use traditional bowhunting
    gear. Longbow, cedar shafted arrows I make myself and razor sharp broadheads.
    Last 3 deer I've taken have moved maybe 6 ft. (cumulatively) from where they
    were shot.
    Kray Gelder, just.neil and Kace like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3726 times
    Metal Detecting
    Youíre entitled to your opinion. Even if itís wrong.
    Yes I am, and no I'm not. Not trying to be superior. I have outlived my desire to hunt. I learned to hunt with a single shot .22 (small game). Somehow I get the impression people are learning the craft playing video games. I never enjoyed the kill part, I enjoyed eating them, and thought it a serious responsibility to drop them where they stood. You say you had an equipment malfunction when an elk was charging directly at you within bow range? Sounds like campfire talk to me.
    DizzyDigger and Kace like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Dec 2017
    Texas
    Bounty hunter commando Garrett AT Pro
    319 times
    Metal Detecting
    I suggest everyone take a gun safety course before even considering buying any type of firearm. Also a hunter education course before heading into the woods. That'll get you started.

Oct 2018
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    He seems to me more motivated out of fear than fantasy. But I see your point.
    Call it what you want. Im not particularly afraid of anything... But I do have the very natural inclination to ensure the survival of myself and those I love. One look at the news should make it clear to anyone that the possibility of WW3 could very well be right around the corner. You're saying no one should prepare at all for such a possibility? I merely wanted to integrate preparation in to a hobby and not make such a big deal about it like some of the militia types. That should be clear to anyone who speaks English as a first language, frankly. You and Kray should exercise that old noggin a little more than you have been. If you can't look at whats going on these days and see the possibility of large scale conflict then I guess its as they say... "Ignorance is bliss."
    Last edited by macronova; Dec 04, 2018 at 07:51 PM.
    Wilderness medic likes this.

Oct 2018
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    We are going to be OK, fellows.
    I pray to God you're right and we, our children go on to experience perfect peace and prosperity for many many years to come. I agree that its a possibility. Just remember, a lot of people could never fathom the possibility of all the horrors that happened during WW1 and WW2. They were living out their happy little lives without a care in the world. Until it happened. The fact of the matter is that unless human beings have somehow magically evolved in to a species that will avoid war at all costs, history will repeat itself. Again I truly hope I'm wrong.

"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Einstein

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    3509 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    That's not a gun to take hunting for any animal MAC.

That's for close combat.

You asked, so get a 30-30, .243 or 30-06. Learn to make a one shot,vital area kill of the heart/lung.

I applaud putting him down, but it should of been a clean, one shot kill with a rifle designed for that. That's humane.

I don't know if you have these there, but there's Live Action Hunting Ranges where Deer, Turkey, Bear, Rabbits, Quail, Bobcat, Ducks and Geese etc..silhouettes walk, stand, run and fly through timber, open land and water depending on what you want to hunt. Basically it covers any situation you could encounter while hunting...even silhouettes of people that you don't see til you pull up your gun to fire and there they are behind your target. At the end of that hunt, you find out if you took a shot you shouldn't of. It's fun and educational besides learning your weapon.

I can't remember who put that pic up, but that should be deleted. It's perfect ammo for anti gun and anti hunting groups.

Good Luck

Kace
    Last edited by Kace; Dec 04, 2018 at 11:06 PM.

Oct 2018
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    I can't remember who put that pic up, but that should be deleted. It's perfect ammo for anti gun and anti hunting groups.
    Yeah that photo is terrible. Feeling really sorry for that animal. Looks like it died a slow and painful death. I removed it from the quote. But to the OP I appreciate the advice anyway. I figured he just missed the kill area.
    Last edited by macronova; Dec 04, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Kace likes this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    3509 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by macronova View Post
    Yeah that photo is terrible. Feeling really sorry for that animal. Looks like it died a slow and painful death. I removed it from my quote. But to the OP I appreciate the advice anyway. I figured he just missed the kill area.
    I feel bad for him too..No doubt there was suffering and a painful death. At least you know what kind of gun Not to get!

Im glad you took your quoted pic of that down...I Really Hope All Of Those Pics Are Removed Before The Wrong People See It.

Kace
    macronova likes this.

Oct 2018
    72 times
    That's not a gun to take hunting for any animal MAC.

That's for close combat.

You asked, so get a 30-30, .243 or 30-06. Learn to make a one shot,vital area kill of the heart/lung.

I applaud putting him down, but it should of been a clean, one shot kill with a rifle designed for that. That's humane.

I don't know if you have these there, but there's Live Action Hunting Ranges where Deer, Turkey, Bear, Rabbits, Quail, Bobcat, Ducks and Geese etc..silhouettes walk, stand, run and fly through timber, open land and water depending on what you want to hunt. Basically it covers any situation you could encounter while hunting...even silhouettes of people that you don't see til you pull up your gun to fire and there they are behind your target. At the end of that hunt, you find out if you took a shot you shouldn't of. It's fun and educational besides learning your weapon.

Good Luck

Kace
    Kace, the AR 10 is a long range .308. I'm just curious why you are saying its designed for close combat. To me its basically designed to be a semi-auto sniper rifle. It seems too long and the recoil would be too strong for a solely close combat weapon. Even though it appears Wildnerness medic missed the kill shot in the photo, that FN SCAR can be highly accurate at long range. If you're not spraying the magazine and taking your time, it should have the potential to be a pretty good hunting rifle. Am I right?

To be fair Wilderness medic did explain what happened. But it is unpleasant site to see the thing laying there bleeding from its stomach. Totally humane to go ahead and put it down though if the initial kill shot was missed.

A lot of people these days consider hunting to be inhumane in general. But if you eat meat, something had to die. In my opinion its more inhumane to let a robot take the life for you then to go out and put in work to take down your own prey. Its just the way of the world I guess. I remember this quote "Oh, we're all animals... Fighting for scraps on the Serengeti." So true
    Last edited by macronova; Dec 04, 2018 at 11:44 PM.

Dec 2018
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    We? Are you an Afghanistan vet?
    Oh look who’s back. Sure am. Find your responses about “vets screwing his head back on straight” pretty entertaining. His head sounds like it’s on pretty straight, albeit lacking in knowledge that he’s seeking out.

Oct 2018
    72 times
    I wasn't rude to you at all... I just wish you'd take your pic down.

Coming from the guy Practicing Long Range Sniping On Live Animals... I agree with these guys.... I'd be embarrassed to put that pic up. Get the right Gun for hunting. Play on the paintball field.

Kace
    Kace... Paintball guns do not fire accurately at long distances. The paintball field is perhaps a good place to practice close combat but that's it. War is a terrible thing. Nothing about it is pretty. But it ain't all rainbows and butterflies in this world. People are already going through hell overseas. My aim is good at the range. I'm not a professional sharp shooter but its actually consistently pretty good. I feel confident enough that I could hit a deer in the right spot if I took my time. And I would. I'm not a heartless maniac with no feelings for living creatures. But the process of hunting is a pretty good way to practice your wartime sniping skills while at the same time improving a good survival skill and putting some quality meat on the table. You're taking out a few birds with the same stone there.

If Chinese boots are ever on the ground over here, we need to be ready. They will be slaughtering millions and having a great time doing it. That's a fact.
    Last edited by macronova; Dec 05, 2018 at 12:28 AM.
    Wilderness medic and Kace like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3726 times
    Metal Detecting
    Oh look who’s back. Sure am. Find your responses about “vets screwing his head back on straight” pretty entertaining. His head sounds like it’s on pretty straight, albeit lacking in knowledge that he’s seeking out.
    Well, that surprises me. You don't come across that way.
    Wilderness medic likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links