Old sayings

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Nomad,

You from the north or something, just have not heard most of your sayings, but could only wonder what would happen to a fella that would say some of it where I am from.

specially that hammer in the morning stuff, local police be like you are on your own Nomad and just walk away. LOL

so ! maybe you could explain some more ? and what do the cops have to do with anything ? i miss the point a lot. perhaps you cant relate to a.d's and anti psychotic drugs. does it snow where you're at ? then you're north of something.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't Have A Row To Hoe

Going To Hell In A Handbasket

May You Be In Heaven An Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

He's Got An Alligator Mouth and a Mosquito A$$

Makin' a Mountain Out Of a Molehill

Take it or Leave It

Big Hat, No Cattle

Preaching To The Choir

Champagne Taste, Beer Budget

He'd Step Over a Dollar To Pick Up A Dime

She's Tighter Than Bark On A Tree

She'd Take The Nickels Out Of A Corpse's Eyes

Musta Just Fell Off The Turnip Truck

Busier Than A One Arm Paper Hanger

Been Runnin All Over Hells Half Acre

Lights Are On And No Ones Home

He's a Slice Short of a Full Sandwich

Bless Your Heart

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth...that's a real knee-slapper.
Does anyone know why people said he had seen the elephant in reference to battle during the Civil War era?

I'm not sure about CW Era Battles...but I've always thought to say 'I' or 'They' Saw The Elephant' meant that you or they actually have experienced something first hand.

Or it could mean you saw a Republican....

Kace

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about CW Era Battles...but I've always thought to say 'I' or 'They' Saw The Elephant' meant that you or they actually have experienced something first hand.

Or it could mean you saw a Republican....

Kace

Pretty sure that's right Kace. It's an American idiom referring to a circus act. You don't get to see an elephant here in the states free of charge. So, getting to "see the elephant' might refer to learning something but paying too much for the experience.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread "Old sayings", although, I think "nomad" may have "missed the mark" a bit.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure that's right Kace. It's an American idiom referring to a circus act. You don't get to see an elephant here in the states free of charge. So, getting to "see the elephant' might refer to learning something but paying too much for the experience.

I saw this referring to a CW general before, and some other CW thing. My impression was maybe it referred to someone who had seen something uncommon, had been there so to speak, had experience.
Think you guys pretty much got it right.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Interesting thread "Old sayings", although, I think "nomad" may have "missed the mark" a bit.

NO,NO,NO i see this thread as old fashion sayings. its not my fault you youngsters cant comprehend what i'm saying or where i'm coming from ? did'nt you parents ever teach you to respect your elders ? maybe you should have gone to catholic school or,or or maybe you should take a.d's until the cows come home like i did. then maybe just maybe you'd understand. oh no i know what the problem is here. y'all come from the other side of the tracks ? yeah thats it. i dont see any of you correcting me to what i should be thinking. oh that'd be a stretch would'nt it ??????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread