THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
RR
I don’t have one but I’ve seen a lot about the Nox. That’s my choice. Which ones deeper? Lots of things
determine that. Setting and the man running it. Time in the field is everything to me anyway.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am in the market for a new metal detector! (soon, not now.) My grandma out of the blue struck a deal with me. If I can raise $350 (which on ebay, with a few prayers, is no problem), she can raise the other half to buy me a new metal detector. I can't make up my mind though...AT MAX, or Equinox?

(I actually have the money now, but because I'm a miser, I like having some cash left over ;) )

I used the Garrett AT Pro for 4 years when I first started detecting and I can vouch for how much you'll find with it! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, I have very little knowledge of the Minelab Equinox machine. I detected with Beau Ouimette two years ago when he was up here for the Radioworld Beach Hunt in Toronto. All I can say is that he's one of the most proficient detectorists I've ever hunted with and he absolutely swears by his AT Pro. I'm sure that both machines are good units at finding treasure, in my opinion though the Equinox unit looks like it might be a tad advanced for a new detectorist.

Best of luck with your decision Ethan,
Dave

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_9440-1024x715.jpg

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched a lot of videos last night on both machines, and I have deduced that they are almost exactly the same. Almost identical depth and stuff, but the only problem is the Equinox has a USB charger. I like the good ol' batteries myself, so I'll have to look at how the AT charges.

Now I've heard of AT MAX, AT PRO, AT NOX, and I think something else...which AT is better?

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WD, YOU'RE BACK!

Welcome to the new ship...the old one sunk because uh,....well anyway, it's new, improved, and much more friendly now.

The rum has been perfectly aged, with Beep guarding it in your absence. :laughing7:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trash and treasure out there waiting to be found...

BBL.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in the market for a new metal detector! (soon, not now.) My grandma out of the blue struck a deal with me. If I can raise $350 (which on ebay, with a few prayers, is no problem), she can raise the other half to buy me a new metal detector. I can't make up my mind though...AT MAX, or Equinox?

(I actually have the money now, but because I'm a miser, I like having some cash left over ;) )

RR, I advise you to read the "Brands" Forum. I stumbled across this thread the other day.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett-max/575605-max-acting-all-crazy.html

I wish I had checked all these threads out before I bought my AT Max. Mine does the same thing they are talking about. And, since I don't know/understand much about these machines, I did not know there was an an issue. I thought it was operator error. (might still be :laughing7:) Now, it's too late for warranty. What I have noticed is the AT MAX seems to be extremely sensitive. So, when I am at home trying to detect around the electrical lines, I use my Delta 4000 because I can get closer to them than with the Max. Also, learning that the cell phone interferes with the Max is good info. The Max can and does find the teeniest tiniest splinters of metal, too. I am a little OCD when digging, so when I get a hit, I wont stop until I figure out what it is. :BangHead: :tongue3:

P. S.

Hello Pirates! :hello:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched a lot of videos last night on both machines, and I have deduced that they are almost exactly the same. Almost identical depth and stuff, but the only problem is the Equinox has a USB charger. I like the good ol' batteries myself, so I'll have to look at how the AT charges.

Now I've heard of AT MAX, AT PRO, AT NOX, and I think something else...which AT is better?

The AT Pro first came out in 2012, that was the year I bought mine, the first machine I used was the Garrett Ace 350.
In my opinion, the AT Max is simply a more up-to-date version of the AT Pro, likely relaunched for marketing purposes by Garrett.

I found the training videos on the Garrett website very helpful when I first started using the AT Pro... https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_videos_en.aspx

Dave

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The AT Pro first came out in 2012, that was the year I bought mine, the first machine I used was the Garrett Ace 350.
In my opinion, the AT Max is simply a more up-to-date version of the AT Pro, likely relaunched for marketing purposes by Garrett.

I found the training videos on the Garrett website very helpful when I first started using the AT Pro... https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_videos_en.aspx

Dave

Good to know, the Pro is cheaper.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD, YOU'RE BACK!

Welcome to the new ship...the old one sunk because uh,....well anyway, it's new, improved, and much more friendly now.

The rum has been perfectly aged, with Beep guarding it in your absence. :laughing7:

Ehhhh, I couldn't resist. The withdrawls are killing me! I am still in troubled waters, so I am clinging to the bridge, (Cue Bill)

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lots of trash ARC. I know because I’ve got to have more pull tabs than Coke has in stock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions