Any jet ski nerds out there?

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to buy 2 jet skis. But I honestly know nothing about them.

I don't want them to ride in circles and splash around, I want them to use as watercycles to go places.

I don't care to go all that fast, I ain't in no hurry. I want them to get good gas mileage, and go far on a tank of gas.

They can't be all that expensive, probably less than $3000 for both rides, and a trailer. I see quite a few from the late 1900's that are priced well within reason.

I live about 8 miles from a boat launch, that could take me anywhere on the planet.

I have a house on a lake system 30 miles long.

I just wanna go for a ride.

If Harley made them, I'd slap some apes on and be all set, but they don't.

Anyone know of some "old reliable" that I should be looking for?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to rent one to try out. I live on a lake too and the reason used jet skis are cheap around here is because people buy new ones, use them once or twice or maybe a summer, then realize that it's really boring after ten minutes.

I prefer the snowmobile. With a sled you can bar hop when you got no place to go.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see where it would get boring being limited to a single lake and going in circles. I'm not arguing your point at all.

I'm actually on a chain of 7 lakes going through 3 towns. And with a few mile jump to another boat launch, a huge lake with another 3 towns and access to Lake Michigan, and technically from there the entire planet by water.

So....I can bar hop with a jet ski, and also campground hop, and plan weekend long rides over hundreds of miles.

That's where I'm looking for the fun. I considered a larger boat, but this is just more interesting to me.

To explain....Home is the blue dot. And if anyone's curious, look at Traverse city, East Jordan, and Bellaire Michigan on Google maps, and follow the water from those places to see what I mean.

ATTACH]

Last edited:

Jbabycsx

Sep 19, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do yourself a favor....look through the local craigslist or any classifieds. Almost every jet ski you see on their has a blown engine. That will probably be the fate of the one you purchase as well. They are a constant burden from a reliability standpoint. Trust me, buy a small Jon boat with a small outboard. Life will be much better.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice, but I already have a small boat with an outboard, and I also a larger with an outbard.

They just aren't what I want for this. I want 2 jet skis, but I don't know what kind.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about us Americans is that no true-blue-All-American kid would ever even think to run thier boat, car, shotgun, jet ski, go-cart, or any engine of any kind at anything less than full throttle all the time. Then they blow up an engine, recognize the madness, and become an adult. Hopefully.

Good luck with the Jet-Skis A#1. If you are camping out of it(sounds like fun!) then you probably don't want a stand-up. The dude down the river from me has a couple of Sea-Doos at his dock. Built for two people but you could easily strap a waterproof pack on the back instead of another human.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread