I Made a COIN RING!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Okay... when I retired my hunting partner Wingman Tony (Wingman T here...) gave me a 1935 Half as a gift to make a coin ring from... now thats it's done I need to get it inscribed with USAF 1983 - 2007. Anyway... these are the pictures so you can see how I did.

It came out pretty good... not perfect, and nowhere near as great as the one Tony made, but I am very happy with it and am wearing it. :)

I am not giving instructions here on how to make one - just sharing the pictures of the one I made... enjoy.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That is so cool . Really nice of Tony to give you such a great coin to work with....and that it had your birth year on it was really special! :)

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
gypsyheart said:
That is so cool . Really nice of Tony to give you such a great coin to work with....and that it had your birth year on it was really special! :)

Gypsy... arn't you suppossed to be making coffee for someone? LMAO... :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking ring, Jim! Glad the art is not dead. I bought a coin ring made from a Walker in honor of my H.S. graduation (thought I'd wear THAT much more frequently than a class ring that cost twice as much LOL). Then I lost the sucker in a chemistry lab in undergrad... :-[

So...how long did it take you to finish the ring? Did you tap on it with a spoon like soldiers did on WWII ships? ;D

-Buckles

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Thanks everybody!

BuckleBoy said:
Nice looking ring, Jim! Glad the art is not dead. I bought a coin ring made from a Walker in honor of my H.S. graduation (thought I'd wear THAT much more frequently than a class ring that cost twice as much LOL). Then I lost the sucker in a chemistry lab in undergrad... :-[

So...how long did it take you to finish the ring? Did you tap on it with a spoon like soldiers did on WWII ships? ;D

-Buckles

Buckles... No. I've made one with a spoon before... however this one with a hammer... slow and easy... because a hammer is prolly way too much.

I think the actual "work time" on the ring was less then 3 hours... but that was spread out over a few weeks... LOL

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Jim ! I been meaning to make onea thouse myself. My buddy found a coin ring awhile back at an old colonial site,we've been tring to figger out what coin it was made from.Wouldn't it be something if it was made from a flowing hair or draped bust Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!! :D

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
kieser sousa said:
Very cool Jim ! I been meaning to make onea thouse myself. My buddy found a coin ring awhile back at an old colonial site,we've been tring to figger out what coin it was made from.Wouldn't it be something if it was made from a flowing hair or draped bust Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!! :D

A lot of them prolly were! You should be able to figure it out... usually the words and dates scroll to the inside of the ring... if it's done correctly. So an ID should be possible.

I also made one from a Franklin half... which I think looks better once completed.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
kieser sousa said:

A lot of them prolly were! You should be able to figure it out... usually the words and dates scroll to the inside of the ring... if it's done correctly. So an ID should be possible.

I also made one from a Franklin half... which I think looks better once completed.
We been trying to see but it's worn pretty smooth.I think i can just make out an "a" but that's about it.It's another onea them "mystery's" that could drive ya nut's trying to figure out !

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
WTG, MJ!

(If I send you a roll of nickels, can you make me a Rolex?)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gypsyheart said:

gypsyheart said:
Here is your project for next week during SmokeOut :D
That's my girl!! :D :D :D

What a great gift from the Tiger. 8) The ring turned out beautifully. The pictures you took are clear and make it look so easy.

Can you size it by working it more? I'm curious about that. ???

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Mona Lisa said:
[Can you size it by working it more? I'm curious about that. ???

Yes... It can be sized... but the size must be known and then guaged out...

Tony Made his "to size" 'cause he has all sorts of cool tools like calipers... 8)

I made mine and wear it on whaever finger it ended up fitting. LMAO :P

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o
WTG Jim. I made one many years ago, nothing as nice as your's though. The wife bought me one 12 years ago, I have worn ever since. Guess what? I just lost it this past week. Now I get to go out in the back yard and detect!
HH

Desertfox

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
WANTED: 1964 Kennedy Halfs - I'll pay $10.00 for two... more than they are worth. :)

ANY condition as long they are 1964 Kennedys with good lettering around the rim on both sides... wanna sell those face-scratched coins?

PM me if you do... I only want two of them...

Jeff... they are for my next projects... please don't move this post to "Wanted" ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread