jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rising price of copper has prompted the US government to consider making coins with cheaper metals.

The price of copper has risen to just under $8,000 a tonne, driven by demand from countries like China and India.​

The US Mint says it is now costing as much as 1.7 cents to produce a "penny" (1 cent) and 10 cents to produce a "nickel" (5 cents).​

Reducing the amount of metal used making these coins could save the US government around $100 million a year.​

If this was extended to higher denomination coins, the savings are estimated at $400 million.​

At the moment, only the US Congress has the power to change the metal composition of US coins​

The proposal by members of the US Senate and House of Representatives would give these powers to the US Treasury.​

Change due

Greg Hernandez, Deputy Director of Public Affairs for the US Mint says change is on the cards:

"If the world demand continues to be high for copper, nickel and zinc, then if this legislation is approved, the metal content for the penny and the nickel will be quite different from what it is today."​

In April, the US government finally passed a law to make it illegal to melt down US coins, or export them in any quantity abroad

Anyone doing so now faces a fine of up to $10 000, in conjunction with five years in prison.

Greg Hernandez says action was taken after the US Mint started receiving enquiries from the public as to whether it was illegal to melt down US coins.

"It was to safeguard against a potential shortage of these coins in circulation, because any wide-spread withdrawal of pennies and nickels could cause coin shortages, and that would be extremely costly to replenish, given the prevailing metal prices and production costs"[/center]

Global warning

In India, the government has had to take action after rupee coins were illegally melted down in order to make razor blades.

The Australian Royal Mint has warned its citizens it is illegal to melt down Australian dollars.

The British Royal Mint changed the composition of its one and two pence coins in 1992 from bronze (97% copper) to copper-coated steel.

It has confirmed that the value of the copper in pre-1992 one penny and two penny coins is now greater than the face value.

Royal Mint figures suggest there could be more than eight billion pre-1992 one and two pence coins still in circulation.

However, anyone trying to melt them down could face a fine or two years in prison.​

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7065183.stm

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greeeeeaaaaat :-\ now our money is worth sh!t, even more

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
jeff of pa said:
The rising price of copper has prompted the US government to consider making coins with cheaper metals.
box/7065183.stm[/url]

As bad as it is right now, they might as well go all out and convert to cardboard.

Let's just call ourselves the Republic of Milton Bradley and be done with it.

b62.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they should Hire China to produce
them out of Plastic. & Paint them different Colors ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
jeff of pa said:

;D ;D ;D ;D
Makes since to me,, everything else is done that way... ;D

I think it's just one more step closer to having to use plastic,, your own special number, so they can keep track of ya... more than they do now, and also take "your money" when ever they want to...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:
jeff of pa said:

;D ;D ;D ;D
Makes since to me,, everything else is done that way... ;D

I think it's just one more step closer to having to use plastic,, your own special number, so they can keep track of ya... more than they do now, and also take "your money" when ever they want to...

Yes I agree. Eventually all you will need is that
Card in your Wallet.

Employers will Automatically Via Computer
Credit your Account.

and Like SS Cards, Debit cards will be Issued at Birth.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Ah, you don't need all that.

Just lean forward a little so that the clerk can read the ID number tattooed on your forehead.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Ah, you don't need all that.

Just lean forward a little so that the clerk can read the ID number tattooed on your forehead.

PBK...either that or they will just scan the microchip the government will want implanted in every citizen...... >:( Of course they would NEVER abuse such a device.... ;D

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
PBK...either that or they will just scan the microchip the government will want implanted in every citizen...... >:( Of course they would NEVER abuse such a device.... ;D

Of course Not. It would Never be
used for I.D. or Tracking :P

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...if one day we all have a debit card or credit card implanted in our arm to "scan" as we check out, then it'll be an interesting situation for those who get robbed. Could be both ARMED robbery and ARM robbery... :-\

I think we SHOULD start producing coins out of plastic...and then we'll all start SIFTING the tot lots LOL.

-Buckles

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't know the Shelf Life of Plastic,
but my understanding Glass lasts a Million Years.

How they know this, I'm not sure.

Unless they found Million year old Rotting Bottles
and are keeping it from us,

But maybe they should Consider that also.

Hit them with a hammer to make change ;D

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The Arabs had glass coins— dark green, 61 grains, and of Byzantine type— as early as 711 A.D., according to Money and Civilization by Alexander Del Mar.

Then they conquered Spain, got their hands on a lot of silver and gold, and... well, you can guess the rest.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and depending on the processes used in creating the glass coins, it would likely be both cheaper and difficult to counterfeit.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that they are Planning on Making Coins out of Steel

Fast-Rising Steel Prices Set Back Big Projects

Relentless increases in the price of steel are halting or slowing major construction projects world-wide and investments in shipbuilding and oil-and-gas exploration, setting the stage for a potential backlash against steelmakers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121080981399493567.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if its a cost issue, then why even bother to coat them with copper?? Why not just leave them steel...or just do away with them completely?? ??? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread