Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to recent surveys, we found our metal pole barn (24'x48') is 40' on neighbors side and he would like it gone this year so he can do his shop. :BangHead:

If we were 20+ years younger, I'd be out there dismantling it for building materials to shelter rv/storage which we need, but only 1/2 the size. My other half not into it.

Now I'm thinking about selling for salvage to offset new building costs. I see on CL where folks sell individual metal panels 1-2 dollars lineal ft. Roof was refreshed last year with insulation, wall panels, a few have some dents on bottom. 12' panels on one side, 10' on other, 2 12' sliding doors.

Material cost in 95 was 13,000 - but don't know what wood could be salvaged.

Of course I would have to make sure neighbor or myself are covered liability wise if the salvager falls off the roof or such.

Totally open to suggestions, thoughts, musings! Didn't expect this a year into retirement.

Thanks all!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist ?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a wee bit of difference in a survey...
If you accept it as you being off with the barns site , then take bids on the demolition and salvage.

Pole barn builders are booked way ahead. At least the reputable ones. Material costs are up too.
Then there remains finding availability of materials and distribution.

Well weathered steel panels , especially corrugated ones , are popular for shabby chic .
It would take advertising them and patience and more so patient customer relations to eventually sell them all. In my opinion anyways.

No idea if your posts can be salvaged with enough length left to bury to code and still have the wall height you'd need for door height. Thier condition matters too...
If salvageable I'd be tempted to build (hire built) with them and your existing steel.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of questions. How long have you owned your property, how long for him? Was it an existing structure? Who built it? If it has always been considered yours, and was there before you both showed up, it is an existing property and you keep your building and he will have to make other plans.
I have had this kind of situation happen twice and existing property rules came in to play both times and both building are still standing...

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2020_06_23-07_05-themixnet-5ef25274b07b4.jpg

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wee bit of difference in a survey...
If you accept it as you being off with the barns site , then take bids on the demolition and salvage.

Pole barn builders are booked way ahead. At least the reputable ones. Material costs are up too.
Then there remains finding availability of materials and distribution.

Well weathered steel panels , especially corrugated ones , are popular for shabby chic .
It would take advertising them and patience and more so patient customer relations to eventually sell them all. In my opinion anyways.

No idea if your posts can be salvaged with enough length left to bury to code and still have the wall height you'd need for door height. Their condition matters too...
If salvageable I'd be tempted to build (hire built) with them and your existing steel.

Yep, cascade of survey errors affected 4 FR 40 properties - 30,000 in resurvey costs to trade footage between 3 of us last year. Just wasn't 40' of the barn, but also the 50' required setback that was taken. 90' off total - we had half of the neighbors house!

Nice brown steel, no rust so not for shabby chic!

So far as posts go, I have read folks have cut them off at ground level and reset them into cemented brackets to keep the same height.

My other half thinks salvage and rebuild to a smaller unit for us is too much hassle. He's thinking a metal rv shelter type which doesn't need permits. thus my thought of sale to offset costs.

Oh life, always interesting!

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of questions. How long have you owned your property, how long for him? Was it an existing structure? Who built it? If it has always been considered yours, and was there before you both showed up, it is an existing property and you keep your building and he will have to make other plans.
I have had this kind of situation happen twice and existing property rules came in to play both times and both building are still standing...

We're on FR 40 (ag/forest) which have a min acreage requirement. He moved in 2 years ago. Barn wasn't preexisting, built mid 90's.

Our barn with 50' setback reduced his property to a ineligible building lot. So after the county and lawyers and surveyors, here we are. The county is even charging him taxes on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread