Swinging with your non-dominant arm?

Does swinging with your non-dominant arm affect your finds ratio?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't think it matters

• Who cares

• Total voters

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
While detecting last night I realized that when I swing my detector with my non-dominant arm I don't always have the same technique as with my dominant arm. I think it has to do with strength factors. For example I find myself not always letting the coil rest on the ground while swinging with my dominant arm, and I find it very difficult to detect on certain terrains with my non-dominant arm, a hillside for example.

What do you think???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't notice a bigger difference except for how long I can swing..

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Since I started I have changed back and forth to each arm the entire time...because I would get tired with my right and try to build up strength in my left...so now using either arm shows the same results....rust with the right...rust with the left.... :D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks, guess I will just have to lift weights since The Explorer is SO heavy!!!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Practice, practice, practice, like anthing else it becomes easier with time.

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I always use my left arm (I'm a righty) to swing the detector. That way I don't have to switch hands to do the digging.

Davisdog.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I normally use my right (dominant), but I do switch back and forth to give each a rest. Since I injured my left elbow as a teenager, that injury sometimes "locks" my left elbow. As such, my left swing sometimes is more abnormal than the usual weak-side swing. Have the same problem when shooting my 9mm with my weak hand (left).

However, does it affect my finds.......nope..........still find the usual............zilch......LOL

Now...when it comes to sipping my scotch....dominant vs non-dominant....doesn't matter.....as long as it gets to my mouth....ha/ha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Besides, Mastereagle, why are you worrying? You have Baldingboy there to swing for ya, don't ya? LOL ;D ;D After all, according to him, he carries you....or is it the other way around? I always forget. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
---Mel

borninok

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my gti2500 was a killer for me even with the strap, I would switch back and forth, and sometimes 2 hands.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm a lefty so I usually swing with my right. Sometimes I switch over when I'm getting tired, and I'm OK with it as long as I'm not on the side of a cliff. :P :D If that's the case then I may as well sit down and rest a spell, else I may find myself at the bottom of the cliff looking up. :D Speaking of...have you ever tried to control the pc mouse with the opposite hand? :D

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It's funny that you ask this question. Just today I was out swinging my detector for six hours with my right arm, carrying my finds over my shoulder with my left arm. My right arm was getting sore and my left hand was going to sleep carrying the heavy iron. I tried changing hands but it was to awkward. I toughed it and kept swinging with my right arm. When i got home I told my wife that I hope it rains tomorrow so I can rest my arm.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
I agree, it is funny. Thought it was just me. I mean come on, two arms - basically the same. How can one be so different in it's swing from the other?

I'll have to teach myself to be ambidextrous.

Have to switch sometimes because my right arm just gets tired. Also got a painful rub spot when I first got the machine because stupid me didn't know the thing was adjustable and the arm cuff was barely hitting my elbow. ( I have short arms).

When I switch to the left I'm hitting the ground a lot. SMACK SMACK SMACK. It's the same darn motion but only comfortable on one side. ???

They have exercises for golfers, how about exercises to strengthen core muscles for a MDer.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
The only activity I do equally well with both my right and left hand/arm is eat. What you thought I was going to say something else?

OK maybe I can drink a little Crown every now and then with both equally as well. Scotch! Yuk! :D ;D Why pay for that stuff when you can get the same taste by drinking standing water out of a tree stump ??? ::) ;D

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
"Scotch! Yuk! Why pay for that stuff when you can get the same taste by drinking standing water out of a tree stump."

Well, that settles it...now I know whose stories to believe from now on....Baldingboy. You speak with forked tongue....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just curious...........has anyone swung using the "Swingy Thing"? Was wondering how that worked if you changed from right to left? One would think that the angle would be kept correct by the "swingy thing", irrespective of which arm you used. Anybody have any experience with it? Just curious.
---Mel

borninok

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I seem to be able to swing about as good with my left hand as my right but I always pinpoint
right handed . HH

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
This thread's 3 years old mate!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can add, is that after 3 years of practicing with your non-dominate arm, that you now have the arms of Popeye :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread