Whats your brush with fame?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
What's your brush with fame?

Me? Standing in a bar next to Emit Smith (while he was sitting with a very fine looking lady). He stands to leave and I'm in his way, he looks at me and stops, and I say "excuse me", and step aside so he can pass.

O.k., o.k. I dont' really consider that 'fame'... But, a buddy of mine works as a grounds keeper for a millionaire here in Austin, TX. Lance Armstrong visits them regularly (they pick 'em up in their private jet from France, etc). I found out that Lance and Sheryl Crow were splits before the public even knew it. My friend says Sheryl is a nice lady, but Lance needs personality lessons. He told me one time, Robin Williams was visiting and so he starts telling Robin something, and Robin looks at him with a puzzled face and says "Curtis? Are you trying to tell me something?" (apparently Robin didn't understand a word he was saying).

Yes, boring... nothing happens in my next of the woods too often.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I once dated a girl and her father was a Texas boxing commissioner, and he's got photo's in his house of various WWF people, like Andree The Giant hanging out in the backyard. It's hard to consider WWF 'fame' though. Can't stand watching that fake junk these days.

EDIT#2: Dang, I keep forgetting these things. The same girl from above edit, used to 'dance' for a living. She once met Johny Depp. Real nice guy. Also met Emilio Estevez and said he can't handle his liquor.

EDIT #3. So I was at a college party down by Austin U.T. campus a long time ago. I'm filling my beer cup at the keg when three people come up, grab a cup, and I pour each on them beer with a smile. All the while they didn't say a thing. They left the party moments later, when I find out I just served beer to the band 'Smashing Pumpkins'.

EDIT #4. This surely doesn't qualify as fame, but I had a chance to date my state senators daughter. I decided not too, because I hated the guy.

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Re: What's your brush with fame?

I work as a stagehand, so I end up meeting a lot of famous people, the problem is I usually have no clue who they are just that everyone seems to think they are special. Then I see them on the stage and think "oh yeah! that's who they are"

I rarely meet the actual performers, since they don't really spend time with the crew, the big exception was back in 96, I worked the Crossroads Guitar Fest in Dallas. Eric Clapton and his family came into catering and ate with us at the table I was at, so that was pretty cool.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky

My cousins are NASCAR drivers. When I was a kid we would all hang around while Jeremy Mayfield, and Jeremy, Jeff, and Mark Green were there talking about non sense.

Brad Wilkerson of the Seatle Mariners was a Junior in High School while I was a Senior. We played on the same baseball team.

My grandfather was best friends with John M. Spalding before his death in 1959(?). He is famous as one of the first officers to make it up to the top of Omaha Beach and clear out German defenses from behind. He and his men helped make the break through there on D-Day possible.

I grew up with, and am still good friends with, Nicky, Roger Lee, and Tommy Hayden. They all race motorcycles professionally.

I once ate at the same table as Dale Earnhardt, Sr. , Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and Richard Petty at a NASCAR benefit in Nashville, TN, and received all of their autographs as we spoke of common everyday things.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I used to work security for the United Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Texas. About 5 years ago Aerosmith was touring and came to town. After breaking up a couple of fights stage-front, I was sent backstage to keep an eye on the tour bus area. I stopped at the first bus I saw and realized I had left my smokes in my car, parked about a half-mile away. A girl with a back-stage pass was walking onto the bus, and I saw a pack of smokes sticking out of her jeans' pocket. I stopped her and she gave me a bored look and held up her pass.
"No," I told her, "you can go on, but I just wanted to bum a smoke from you." She kind of smiled and game me a smoke and lit it up for me, and asked me if I wanted something to drink. Told her I'd love a Coke if she had one.
She climbed into the bus and was walking back down the steps with a can of soda and I heard someone on the bus yell out "Who are you giving that to?"
"Crap," I thought, "I'm gonna get fired." :'(
The girl pointed down the steps at me, and who else but Stephen Tyler poked his head around the corner and smiled.
"Are you that guy that got hit?" I nodded.
(About midway through the show I was pulling a guy back down the aisle who was trying to start a one-man mosh-pit at the front of the stage, knocking into a bunch of VIP's at the show and, as I handed him off to a police officer, he got a hand loose and walloped me in the back of the head as I was walking back to the stage.)
"I bet you need some rum for that, huh?" :thumbsup:
Sure enough, he invited me onto the bus and I drank my rum and coke and sat quietly as the band talked on their phones and watched television. Chatted with the cigarette girl for a bit and scored her phone number. :tongue3:

And, I was on an elevator in Las Vegas once with Willard Scott. :laughing7:

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in 85 I saw signs up all over the base asking for security for the original Live Aid. I went over to the Spectrum for the meeting and did a short interview and was hired. Another guy from the base that I knew also got hired.

We met at the Spectrum on that warm July Saturday, I think it may have been the 13th, and were given yellow security shirts to wear. From there we went over to JFK Stadium and ended up taking tickets and stopping people from bringing in alcohol. If I had a pick up truck I would have been able to stock a bar for a month!!

Anyhow, after a half hour of that we got bored and thought, hey, we have security shirts on. We can go anywhere. And we did. We went down to the field and stationed ourselves at the base of one of three towers erected. We got to see Madonna, The Power Station, Phil Collins, and Led Zep minus John Bohnam. His son played drums along with Tony Tompson If I am not mistaken. At one point during the coverage on ABC, I could see myself climbing one of the towers. We were trying to find out who was throwing stuff up onto the stage.

Well that got old also so we decided to go back stage. We saw so many celebs back there. Mick Jagger, he's short compared to my 6'2" frame. Grace Slick from Jefferson Starship, the Thompson Twins, Joe Piscapoe, Teddy Pendergrass, Paul Stanley from KISS, The whole Hall and Oates band plus many others.

Notable experience was having pizza with Harry Belafonte and the two women he was with. The story with that was that the guy from the base and I ended up scoring two Domino's pizzas. They supplied the workers there with over 2000 pies that day. While we were just sitting down to start our feast, Mr Belafonte walked up and asked if he could have a slice or two. I knew who he was right away and said sure. We shared the pies and made small talk with him asking what we thought of the show. I said it was overwhelming. He told me that he was very happy to have been a part of it. When he was getting ready to leave he asked if he should sign the pizza box but I said no. Sharing a pie with him was worth more than an autograph.

Once the show ended I went up on stage while Hall and Oates were still there. I ended up getting the drumsticks from the drummer. Later I got Rob Halford's (lead singer from Judas Priest) autograph as well as the VJs from MTV.

K

Kentucky Kache

I have several distant cousins who are famous. So distant that the only thing we have in common is a surname, and some of them even changed that. :D

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been delivering furniture for the past 12 years. I once delivered furniture to George Thorogood's parents. As soon as you walk in the door, on the wall facing the door is a gold record. (I don't remember for which song) There was a group of pictures surrounding the record. They were pictures of the parents with folks like Johnny Cash, Billy Gibbons and The Rolling Stones. On the way out, I stopped to take a look at the photos. When I said something about the Stones photo, the Mom said that when they met Mick Jagger he was a jerk. :P

I also made a delivery to John Bon Jovi's parents.

Last year , I delivered to Don Joyce retired Baltimore Colt.

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon

When I was going to college I had a part-time job as a bodyguard/security supervisor. Guess it was the FBI training as well as the Anti-terrorist training I had in the service, maybe being a M.P. helped, as well as personally knowing the promotor, EJD Concert Services. Then again it could be my size 6' 3" and 260 lbs and at the time a ranked track and field athlete. But most of all it was my gift of B.S. ::)
Bill Graham, the big promotor, from Filmore fame, wanted me to go on the road with the Grateful Dead.... met them and said thanks, NO WAY ! I like real people ...get the point. Got to hang out with Johnny Cash, HE'S THE MAN, he gave me a personally autograph picture book for my mom. No better person than him. let's see who else, Paul Revere, great guy as well as his band, Ventures, Billy Ocean :tongue3:, spoiled. Conway Twitty, chicks dug him, Jan and Dean, Gary Puckett, super nice guy. Mitch Ryder, Kansas, B.T.O., Tanya Tucker, long story there. Merle Haggard, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bonnie Raitt, Joe Diffee, John Fogerty, funny story here. Tim MaGraw, and Faith Hill, Confederate Railroad, George Strait, Robert Cray, I could go on and on,but finally worst of all Hank Jr., wonder why he does not play Oregon anymore? I can tell ya why.
Anyway that is some of the performers that I worked with. not around. Athletes, just about most of the major track and field athletes in America in the mid 80's. But I do remember as a 12 year old kid meeting Ben Davidson from the Oakland Raiders, he was a gas to be around, what a great guy.

But we all have had our brush with fame some where along the line. I have just been very fortunate. Oh did I mention President Jimmy Carter and numerous other political figures during that time.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

When I first joined the Air Force I rented an apartment on top of a ladies garage and worked part-time as her landscaper (I raked the leaves :D). Anyway, the place was in Pebble Beach, California. You have to pay a fee just to drive through the neighborhood and that's where the hold that movie star golf tournament every year. No, I didn't meet any stars but that was as close to a brush with fame as I ever got.

Oh yeah, and I got my picture made with Lou Holtz and he is kind of famous.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i detect the beaches in a very rich area near me and have met allot of famous people early in the morning walking the beaches ....Sara Michelle Geller ... ray Romano ..billy Joel ....to name a few ....there just walk by and say good morning and i walk by as if they were like everybody else on the beach and most the time it hits me on the way home .....i think about it now and laugh to my self

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

I figured out the lyrics to probably the most famous theme song ever to be on TV.

(Click the link below. :D )

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

My son won an essay contest in school! He came home the last day before summer vacation and said that we would be going to Chicago, along with 49 other kids from across the U.S. to meet Michael Jordan. I was like..........Yeah right!! He insisted it was true and that we would be getting a call from the MJ Foundation.
Days went by and he was getting really irritated with my lack of belief. Finally got to talk with a manager from the Foundation and low and behold..........We were headed for Chi-town!!!!!

We met with Michael and his mom and sister. Shook hands and took pictures. My son got a certificate hand signed by Mike himself. He also got an Olympic jersey from him. It was a memorable time for us!

Then, later that summer we got a call inviting us to participate in a fund raising auction for the Foundation. We had to rent tuxedos for the event. We had a blast, got to hang around with Mike again and my son got to meet more celebs back stage.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

back years ago when I was in good health and much younger --- my union was hosting the national union get together of all the union presidents (its held every 2 years) that year it was in washington, DC-----to elect the head AFL -CIO council of 33 and the president of the AFL - CIO -- think of it as MOB FEST -- the soon to be president of poland --was coming to the states to address the AFL - CIO covention to thank them for all their help (the siu my union was a big helper in funneling money to them -- the cia was backing the polish labor movement to break the russians grip --and the polish pope was keeping keep the russians at bay --he said if they pulled another roll the tanks in attack like they did to hungry long ago - -he would call upon all catholics to take up arms against them--- it worked and once poland broke free it was like a house of cards ,russia was finished --- I was a body guard at the convention --(one of 10) supplied by the siu union --there were fears that the russians might try to take him out here in the states before he could take office in poland (the elections hadn't happen yet but he was a shoe in)--- and while there--- then president george bush sr . addressed us in a little speech he made as "MY Dear freinds of the AFL - CIA, opps frudean slip he said ---(old man bush was the former head of the cia by the way )--- I still have my badge from the convention --- thats some of my 15 min of fame --- I've lead a very interesting if rather strange at times life-----Ivan

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White

When I returned from Vietnam, I was assigned as Supt of Communications for Pres.Nixon. When the first and second March from Selma To Montgomery I had taken a Leave From the War College for an assignment With ABC as chief Eng sitting in the median of highway on east side of bridge at Selma, ABC never Telecast the program.
One night did the show as Chief Eng for Chan 12 , the 1st election of Geo. Wallace, his acceptance speech.
At the premier of Hank Williams, Hank Jr was there 16 yrs old, Hanks wife, Johnny Cash, Montgomery we all had a bash at the club that burned and killed a few hundred people later. About twelve of us there. We went to the Greystone to get Johnny Cash the next morning and I ask him if he wanted anthing for breakfast and he said yeah get me a 6 pack and some apple pie. He did his show, I was Chief Eng again.
First Orbit of earth with Space craft, I was assigned the outside space shots, RCA did the inside. Took my three TK11 monsters to do it to the Cape from the War College.
Took the Fastest man alive on a hunt in Turkey. Trout fished w/ 3 great Gens and Adm "Charlie" Brown 6th, Flt Commander
At a race Bobby and Donny Allison and Red Farmer , Red was having trouble with his linkage, I had the same thing on my car so I spent all the race in the pits, Red was using my Carb and linkage and won, so I mingled with that bunch, lot of them were champs.
A good friend and room mate, made the news, Conroy(Kilroy) Compl law school after 2 years chem eng. Joined FBI, promoted to SE dist Dir. not famous but semi.
Got some others but this is getting boring. Oh little pip squeek that was Olympic champ gymnastics, spent a day with them on the Blue Ridge trail, That kid and her parents, she was about 15 then. After she grew up she was on lots of commercials,
a real champion. Gnewt

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar

Has anyone ever heard of Charlie Ward, Jr. ? He was quarterback at Florida State University in the early 90's. He won the Heisman Trophy in '93 and was QB when the Seminoles won their first National Championship. He played basketball for the New York Knicks for a while. Anyway, I went to high school with him. I played baseball with him at highschool. He and his family are very nice people.

Has anyone heard of Confederate Railroad (country music group)? My ex-wife's father grew up with the lead singer, Danny Shirley. I met Danny at a club and he bought me a drink.

Also met Kenny Chesney (country singer) at the same club as mentioned above.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

When I was in high school, I was an Auxilary Police Woman with the FINEST....NYPD!!! My Mom and Dad (Step) were also Auxilary and this one particular night, we were all patroling at Shea Stadium (ah, the benefits! :))....while walking around the stadium, who do we run into...but SOUPY SALES!!! Yeppers...got him to sign my patrol book...then not to much later that night, we find ROBERT WAGNER coming along, and he too .. signed my patrol book!!!! Two in one night!!!!

In 2004, I took my boys to New York City, my hometown. They have never been, as I don't have family, other than cousins up there anymore. We stayed at the Hemsley Hotel, across the street from Central Park...we were coming out and lo and behold, who walks by...TONY DANZA with his wife and daughter....I was so stunned, all I got was a shot of his butt!!! Here's the pic included.

A few years back (2002)...Farm Fresh..a locally owned and operated grocery store (now my employer)....had a food estravaganza at the Hampton Colosuim...Amanda Bynes was going to be there...my boys LOVE HER....so I made sure we went and they got a pic with her and she took a pic to keep in her album and also signed photos for them...they were in HEAVEN!!!!

My Dad (step Father)....was such a cut up....about 6 mos before he passed away...he told me, while we were watching STEINFELD...that "George" was his first cousin....I didn't believe it at first and after doing some family history research...they sure are!!! Here's a pic of my Dad and I, back in 1994. Dad left us in 2000. I loved him so!

There are more brushes with the STARS...but right now...I can't remember them all...they will come back to me!!!

Attachments

• newyorkcity23-25nov2004 023c.jpg
    newyorkcity23-25nov2004 023c.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Oct13_38b.jpg
    Oct13_38b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 387
  • dadannmarie1d.jpg
    dadannmarie1d.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 377

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I've worked with many famous people. See avatar :)

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

When the movie "Twister" was being filmed in our town, the drivers for the stars came in to get their cable TV connected. We normally had a three days out schedule, but I arranged to have theirs turned on the next day.

They appreciated this and took one of my business cards. A few days later they returned my card with Helen Hunt's autograph on the back :thumbsup:

When we went out to connect the cable TV for Jami Gertz, she was actually there. She signed our work order, and when our installer brought it back to the office, I copied it, put the copy in our files, and took the original home :wink:

I didn't get to meet any of the stars from Twister, but I have two autographs :)

Timberwolf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread