What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon & Heating Fuel Doubles ?

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon & Heating Fuel Doubles ?

Michigan Badger said:
I could reap some of the above benefits myself but unfortunately I have this ethical hangup I've never been able to overcome.

This was the point I was trying to get across, but typing with a stick is ridiculously hard for me. I, myself would have a hard time accepting disability due to that very reason. To me, there is something that you can do that is productive. I mean we have a company that is called "Blind Industries" They don't make window blinds like I thought they did at first. First time I ran a call there I was warned... Anyway, I get on scene and the first thing that strikes me is that everyone is blind. Well, 95% of the people anyway. The other thing that gets me is that these people are using electric sewing machines, etc. Needle, thread, sewing machine, Keep a straight line, you know a seam, and they're freaking blind. Put your mind to it and you can do anything.

The other thing is people that are taking the "free ride syndrome." Fine example of this - approximately a 22 y/o male works out everyday at the gym, good build, has some intelligence to him, yet don't work because when he was a child his mother had him at a doctor and they diagnosed him with "emotional issues" so now he draws disability from the government, so healthcare, etc is paid.
Next is my wifes cousin who worked at a local press, and she has developed "headaches" Coincidentally, they started just post break-up with her boyfriend and that was about 10 years ago. Still "has em", and is still drawing a check. Seen her so stoned on phenergan/loratab she could barely talk/stay awake and was still saying she wanted more.

Point I'm trying to get at, is as the cost of goods and services go up, I predict the cost and the number of people wanting a "free ride" from the government is going to increase so then there go our taxes to support em..... I have a feeling it's going to get ugly.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billKY said:
I also have to disagree with Jeff regarding whining to the feds. I personally do not believe there will be adequate federal resources to even begin to manage a nationwide problem at the individual level. In a real national emergency, I think the Feds will first take care of the Feds, and will look out through time and decide they better keep the rest (of the available resources) too, just in case.

Aaah But that is what I'm saying Bill.

as soon as The majority of the people see this happen
revolution will start :wink:

you need to remember the government is supposed to be there for the People.

IF everyone becomes Self sufficient & Don't need them,
the Government will feed off us even more then they do now.

Best to keep them trained.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
Cache Crazy said:
Anybody got a good horse for sale?

LOL! ;D

But this really is not that much of a joke. There are those who seriously say we're heading in that direction for the more remote areas of the country.

And too, it's rather interesting that the ancient writings referred to as the "Holy Bible" teach that in the last days horses will be one of the chief transportation modes. These same general passages also teach that in the last days the whole world will focus its attention of the near east and want something it has. Hum? I wonder what that could be? ;D

What is the passage that refers to the horses??? Thanks, Tom

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gallileo60 said:
Michigan Badger said:
Cache Crazy said:
Anybody got a good horse for sale?

LOL! ;D

But this really is not that much of a joke. There are those who seriously say we're heading in that direction for the more remote areas of the country.

And too, it's rather interesting that the ancient writings referred to as the "Holy Bible" teach that in the last days horses will be one of the chief transportation modes. These same general passages also teach that in the last days the whole world will focus its attention of the near east and want something it has. Hum? I wonder what that could be? ;D

What is the passage that refers to the horses??? Thanks, Tom

Revelation 14:20 which to make sense must be read in context.

The idea is that a great world wide war is in the future for the entire world and soldiers in this war will heavily depend upon horses.

While at first this seems impossible one must remember than metal machines generate as lot of heat and are easy targets for heat/metal seeking missiles.

And too it's possible that in the future there will be weapons that are able to prevent machines from functioning. Therefore the horse once again becomes very practical.

Can we be dogmatic about the future major use of horses for all general transportation? NO. But, such is implied in ancient writings which I find sort of interesting.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Badger.....

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Efficient heating is easily accomplished when you are sedentary and able to confine yourself to one small area.

If you've got a multitude of tasks and various chores as most households, it's just not gonna work.

From my experience, just about any high priced whiz bang offering is a hustle.

From what I've heard, the small ceramic disk heaters are dandy for a small area.
The silicone filled radiant heaters are also an improvement over the nichrome wire fan driven radiant heaters, but they won't kick it out when you really need to warm up, like when you need to DO something!

Liquid and gaseous fuels reign supreme in cold climate for a reason.

I've lived in the snow... the haze filled valley from wood burning stoves in winter is quite a sight.
It's major pollution.
And a LOT of hard work!

It's best to cut back on activity levels, much as you can, during inclement weather.
Not all of us CAN do that.

Best,
rmptr

Robin

Apr 21, 2008

Jeff of pa,

Yeah I think you just might have a good point there, Take all you can from the govenment, apply for everything, then ask for more !

My Grandmother always said " If you give a dog enough rope, he will hang himself".
Russia went through a depresson, and the army quit for a while, and they did have problems.
A lot of corruption is still going on there.
They only started to recover a few years ago.

It just makes sence, that whoever is in charge can only go so far then theres the back-lash. Rome fell because of the same thing, they couldn't supply their troops
fight us old German Barbarians, The Senate in Rome fled when the Barbarians
came, It was every one for themselfs. They bailed out !
People will learn to survive in all situations. Some will some won't.

Robin

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Here's a short report on domestic oil reserves. Can't recall if I posted it elsewhere.

My point is, it's a well known formation that has not been exploited because it's too expensive to produce it.

It's apparently a large, thin formation, that is rather deep.

Sure, it can be developed, but what good will that do for the average citizen, or those elderly on fixed incomes, if the price is perhaps even higher than it is, today?

And this is NOT a report by conspiring whackos presented by a fringe source. ;D

Report: N.D. shale oil recoverable
By JAMES MacPHERSON
The Associated Press

BISMARCK, N.D. -- The government estimated Thursday that up to 4.3 billion barrels of oil can be recovered from the Bakken shale formation in North Dakota and adjacent areas using current technology.

By comparison, the historic East Texas Field has yielded about 5 billion barrels of oil to date.

"This is great news," Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said of the new report, which he had asked for 18 months ago. "This is 25 times the amount of the previous assessment [in 1995]."

The Bakken formation

The field spreads across 25,000 square miles in North Dakota, Montana, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, in three layers. About two-thirds of the acreage is in western North Dakota.

The U.S. Geological Survey report Thursday called it the largest continuous oil accumulation it has ever assessed.

The oil is trapped in a thin layer of dense rock nearly two miles beneath the surface. Companies use pressurized fluid and sand to break pores in the rock and prop them open to recover the oil.

High cost of drilling

Oilmen have known for more than 50 years that the Bakken holds vast oil reserves, said Donald Kessel, vice president of Houston-based Murex Petroleum Corp. But the price of crude had never been high enough to develop technology to capture the oil, he said.

According to Jim Ehrets, a Denver-based geologist with Headington Oil Co. of Dallas, it costs about $5 million to drill a well tapping the middle Bakken, and companies need crude prices of at least $50 a barrel to make it economical. Even with crude prices now double that, "there still is a ton of risk," he said.

Guarding drilling techniques

Initially, companies had kept their technology secret, Ehrets said.

The technology involves drilling vertically to about 10,000 feet, then "kicking out" for as many feet horizontally, while fracturing the rock to release the oil trapped in microscopic pores in the area known as the "middle" Bakken.

Drillers began sharing technology about two years ago on how to recover the oil.

"Everybody was protecting their results while the lease play was still going on," Ehrets said. "Once it had been pretty well saturated and not much left to lease, there was cooperation in sharing information" about two years ago.

The Bakken boom

300 Number of North Dakota wells in the field in 2006.

457 Number of wells at the end of 2007.

137,000 Barrels per day production in the state in January.

148,500 Daily production record, set in 1984, expected to be surpassed this year.

What it means

The assessment comes as U.S. crude production has fallen steadily over the past three decades, with the rate of decline slowed -- or offset -- only slightly by production from the deep-water Gulf of Mexico. That has led to increased imports followed by calls to find more domestic energy sources.

"This report comes at a time when we are desperately trying to be less dependent on Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries," Dorgan said.

This story includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

<eof>

It's clearly one more bit of proof that Peak Oil is a very real thing.

So, how will YOU survive?
And how about those around you?

Best,
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Hey TT!

Why not watch a film with that Haagen das?

There's a good one, just a couple years old, so it's cheap to rent now...
I got a big kick out of it.

It's called "Idiocracy."

;D
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Hi TT,

I think Owen Wilson's little brother is in it...

It's REALLY a stoopid movie!

Yet it's got a good point within it.

I'll tell yah what...
Right here, in front of Tnet and everybody else, I'll give you a guarantee.

If you don't get a kick out of it, I will mail you the greenbacks for the DVD rental.
More than that, you can not ask!

(Now, it's NOT quite a fine Christian film, so please don't fault me on that count.)

Hey TT!
I just posted 'Yeast'...
Have a look at THAT post.
I REALLY like the fellow, Ilargi, and feel it's an outstanding statement.
I have NOT yet read the article he makes refernce to, though.

Best,
rmptr

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can watch it on UTube

just search Idiocracy Part 1

After Part 1 Click on Part 2 Etc.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Gypsy Heart said:
I think everyone has to think that if gas and heating goes up...everything else will also....I have no debt and am also preparing for the near future as far as heating sources. We are planning on putting in a wood heating stove,because we have plenty of Free dead wood on our property that can provide heat. We are also looking at raising our own beef because we also have the land for them. And yes...horses...

I try not to buy processed foods and can a lot of our own vegetables,sauces,fruit etc. We are planting a huge garden and also putting in more fruit trees,berries and grapes.

I think it will affect the younger generation the most...because they are so used to 'running" ...clubs,games.practices,their friends houses ,shopping etc.

You will begin to see alot more "stay at home parents' in a household and people downsizing. We are a "I want it and I buy it country" ...and that will change dramatically.....no more credit cards....no more two family incomes because wages are to low to pay for childcare and gas...it wont be worth it.

I think that if push comes to shove alot of people are going to be in for a very rude awakening. So many people have no clue how to hunt or fish for meat,put in a garden or can their own food or make do with little or nothing. They don't know how to sew or cook or clean...if its not done for them...they panic. They have everything possible under the sun....a gadget for everything....and cant figure out how to tie their own shoes.

My entire philosophy for our family is to simplify and get back to the basics of what is important in life...family......God .....education ....spending quality family time doing the simply things that don't cost a lot.....

This really is a great post Gypsy. So true!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

guess I got a movie to watch! ;D :happy1:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
Jeff of Pa, thanks for the video (where did it go?).

I didn't watch it But I did watch a spoiler on utube & one scene was Inappropriate.
Because I didn't watch part one, I didn't know if it was age appropriate to everyone here.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll Pi$$ and moan and pay 10 bucks a gallon just like I do at the 4 bucks a gallon I'm paying now. :-\ What else can I do? The oil companies have us by the you know whats and there isn't a darn thing we can do about it. Maybe I can invent a car that runs on pull tabs and I'll never have to worry again ;D ;D Steve

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MB, your wife sounds like a smart women, we could use more of that attitude here......My parents lived thru the depression, and always saved money.......

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Glad you enjoyed the film, TT.

Yes, Jeff, the whole thing is pretty much 'Inappropriate.'

It depicts degeneration of just about everything.

Social commentary...

...Seems to me, the prob with gas going up IS that everything else goes up.
The exception is always the wage for the working man.
It always lags.

Best,
rmptr

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro

well prices of things have always gone up and people always learn to adjust. the biggest problems for most is what is most important to them??? saw a picture in a paper of an elderly person who died from the heat. had no fans no air conditioning but on the table was a 40 dollar carton of cigarettes and a six pack of beer. kind of like they said on tv one night ever notice who parks in handicap spots?? never to this day have i seen someone using a wheel chair park in one. its always someone who can barely get out of their car. because the cars to small for their body. maybe if they parked further out in the lot and walked into the store to buy food they might not be in that position. not downing anyone for weight some do have medical problems that cause it but the biggest problems is were a spoiled country. no one wants to walk no one wants to cook no one wants to get rid of anything that might make them have to function and think or get up off the sofa. and most wont even help a neighbor if they know they are in a bad way financially and need help with a heating or air conditioning bill. we just need to get priorities right. i know if my kids or someone i know is cold they are welcome in my home. between all of us i bet we could pay a bill. i live in the oilfields we pay higher for fuel then most places because we have to pay to ship the fuel east or north. were still a mighty country we have more them most people in other countries only dream of. but as someone said we can change it you have the right to vote for someone who will let us drill oil or let us build refineries. but like we always do we vote for some liar who says he will help us and while he is telling us this hes counting his money from his shares in overseas oil companies. or driving our oil companies overseas from high taxes. people move here and cut down trees to build houses yet we cant cut down a few trees to put in a oil rig?? there is no fast fix now the country has let things go to long now. but we can change the future. i noticed when gas prices went up everyone yelled about it but did anyone park their car and ride a bike or did they just keep driving it. its fact if we use less fuel they drop the prices. every year its the same thing though they know they can raise the prices up a dollar and everyone will gripe then they will lower the price 50 cents and everyone will say YES were saved..... and keep on driving. you watch if you pay 4 dollars a gallon now they will lower it to 3.50 then no one will care anymore. sorry such a long post but all i ever hear is people screaming about how cheated we are yet we still live better then most other places. a good yard sale and getting rid of crap setting in attics and in garages people buy they only used once would pay for most heating bills in winter. maybe using a blanket to cover up until bed time instead of turning the heat up to 80 degrees just as soon as they get in from work. okay i ranted i feel much better now. and as i said not downing anyone i am just as guilty of most of the things stated but i do remember how my folks did things they did without a lot but were still happy and made sure we ate a meal. they also made sure we used our imaginations and didnt have to have a computer to function.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am very quietly going to go into my closet..and let the BIGGEST SCREAM RIP.. am sure I will feel a whole lot better after I do that. :tard:

S

Strikefleet5326s

If gas hit's $10.00 a gallon....frankly.....I don't know what I would do.I guess maybe I should have tryed to cut some sort of deal with the muhammads for a discount card at their pumps in the states instead of killing them.I don't think I'll get much love now.Guess I blew it...dagnabit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread