Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last may i noticed the front plate was missing on Kathys car so i told her to call the police. They came out and did a report and took the other plate. She went and got new plates. They were do in june anyway. A couple weeks later the dodge county sheriff calls wanting to know if she had been at the gas station that day. She was at work that day and let them know that she had made out a police report on the stolen plates. If she hadent she may have had to pay for someone elses gas or arrested. Now i look out the window every night before i go to bed to make sure no one is trying to steel anything. Got my bat by the back door.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
about as bad as the city of philly they gave me a parking ticket guess what i have never been there :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: damn crooked goverment finly got a rep to help me out with it i hope:)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Anything that is traceable ID is a target for a scam these days!

I've known people who used 1 hex, and one allen head capscrew for their license plate to deter theft on boat trailers that spend most their life parked, un-attended.

I just keep mine in the cab, if it will be parked for a while.

Best,
rmptr

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't a new thing. California has had the problem for years. Used to be the Bangers would steal a plate to do a drive by then dump the tag.

We busted a group of mexican car stereo thieves with 17 car stereos and 9 stolen plates in their van a few months back.

The security screws might slow them down but if possible add a nylock nut to them if possible.

The big thing now is stealing catalytic converters. It never ends!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State police deny e-mail over plates

Published: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:32 AM EDT
Pennsylvania State Police say an e-mail warning of stolen license plates is a hoax.

Authorities said an e-mail has been circulating claiming license plates are being stolen and placed on thieves’ vehicles, who then steal gasoline from service stations and try to pin the blame on the license plate owner.

State police say the information, which is atrributed to them, is not true.

http://www.republicanherald.com/art...20080610.a.pg13.pr10police_s1.1735264_loc.txt

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they keep stealin' em' pretty soon they'll be makin' em' :wink: :wink: The higher things get the more we will all have to watch out for ourselves and each other. Steve

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ripping off peoples tags is pretty prevalent out here in the west. I'm surprised also that they've not tried to counterfeit them either. Guess it's cheaper to steal them. One guy told us that if he stole a plate at night & did a burglary he wouldn't worry about it because it wouldn't be noticed until the owner of the car came out to go to work in the morning.

In all reality I'm more worried about the siphoners. One of our contracts had their service trucks hit a month or so back. They just cut the hose going from the side of the stakebed to the tank & got off with about 20 or 25 gallons from a bunch of his trucks. Caused more damage & lost manhours than the cost of the gas (almost ;D)

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I've lost 6 plates at my shop in Huntington park.Used nylocks and the just ripped the unbolted third off. The decal sells for 15 dollars on the black market. Lost two in one week once and DMV thought I was selling them till I pointed out they cost more then I could get for them.A plastic cover stopped them, or the time I broke a drunks leg with a pipe and left him screaming in the street, don't know which. My guess is it pays to advertise. Another new trend in gas theft is to drill a hole in the new plastic tanks with a battery drill driver and catch the fuel. Most new vehicles have a one way valve like the foot valve on a dredge so if the car rolls the fuel won't escape. Makes it hard to siphon the tanks through the fill cap so the just drill a hole in the tank and you get to replace it and the gas.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
As I recall. a chippie once told me the plastic covers over a plate are violation of code and they'll cite you for it.

And he ran one on his corvette!

but there was a reason...

on his way to worked he passed through a speed trap town that had automatic cameras that would mail you a speeding ticket. The plastic causes a glare and pic doesn't come out. No tickey!

fine for having plastic much less than cost of speed ticket.

and who's gonna give a chippie a ticket for the plastic over the plate???

rmptr

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
rmptr said:
on his way to worked he passed through a speed trap town that had automatic cameras that would mail you a speeding ticket. The plastic causes a glare and pic doesn't come out. No tickey!

Mythbusters did an episode on this particular urban legend. Myth busted!

The camera was able to hit the plate every, yes, each and every time. They even tried a plastic cover that diffused the numbers if on an angle. Myth still busted. Got a usable pic every time.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well, ok then...

Still, I won't argue with a chippie...

and I don't drive like one, either!

Thanks for the myth busted though.
I don't have a plastic plate cover, and wasn't gonna spring for one.

I guess it would still slow someone down stealing yearly sticky tabs.
Well, maybe not... they'd probably steal the plastic cover, too!

can't win for losing!

Best,
rmptr

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
It is a violation, fix it ticket. Had a cop mention it to me. I showed him the documentation of replacing the plates and tags. He even gave me a break on the speeding ticket. After that I was always very conscious of my speed in that area. Him not ticketing me did more to deter speeding then any ticket I ever got. He turned out to be a great guy and our kids were Friends in high school.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread