Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
Yes! That's the one and only Heavy Metal Soldier "True_Metal

Hails to you o AppleTree! :D

My thread about the Skull of Doom is still on this page, fellas. It did'nt go anywhere.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
"... and the truth shall set you free."

Anna Mitchell-Hedges is in the same league as alleged UFO-abducted Betty Hill, liars!

http://www.archaeology.org/0805/etc/indy.html
"A third generation of skulls appeared some time before 1934, when Sidney Burney, a London art dealer, purchased a crystal skull of proportions almost identical to the specimen the British Museum bought from Tiffany's. There is no information about where he got it, but it is very nearly a replica of the British Museum skull--almost exactly the same shape, but with more detailed modeling of the eyes and the teeth. It also has a separate mandible, which puts it in a class by itself. In 1943, it was sold at Sotheby's in London to Frederick Arthur (Mike) Mitchell-Hedges, a well-to-do English deep-sea fisherman, explorer, and yarn-spinner extraordinaire."

http://gocentralamerica.about.com/od/culturehistory/a/Crystal_Skulls.htm
"The authenticity of Mitchell-Hedges’s story is controversial. There is evidence she purchased the skull at an action decades after she claimed to find it, while there is zero evidence of her having possessed it before the mid-1940s. Even if she did, rumors suggest Anna Mitchell-Hedges’s father purchased the skull and planted it in the Lubaantun ruins of Belize for her to find. There are also signs the skull was carved from 19th century metal tools, disproving its pre-Colombian origin."

Efforts to analyze the Mitchell-Hedges skull have proved fruitless. Its owners have largely kept it under wraps. But other skulls have been examined.
The British Museum skull, originally purported to be pre-Columbian, has been scrutinized several times over the decades, most recently by Walsh and British Museum anthropologist Margaret Sax in 2004.

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?p=917958
"They concluded that it, like the Smithsonian skull, was a fake. Microscopic examination revealed symmetrical grooves on the skull's surface that could only have been made by lapidary machines, which didn't exist in the New World until Europeans arrived. Further, the rock crystal probably originated in Brazil, well outside the Aztecs' trading network. And one of the skull's previous owners was Eugene Boban, a 19th-century French antiquities dealer with a murky sense of morality.

Last month, the Quai Branly Museum admitted that its skull, supposedly a representation of the Aztec god of the dead, Mictlantecuhtli, was also a modern fabrication. It, too, had tiny, machine-made grooves, and it also had once belonged to Boban.

Boban may be the mastermind behind the skulls. For a time in the late 1800s, he made quite a living selling skulls and other alleged Mesoamerican artifacts to enthralled Europeans. Walsh said the skulls “represented what Europeans considered exotic, barbaric and savage about pre-Columbian Mexico, but in an artistic form they could appreciate.”

Walsh suspects the earliest phony skulls were crafted by Mexican artisans, possibly under Boban's direction. Later skulls may have come from Idar-Oberstein, a German village famous for its crystal ware.
“To my knowledge, no archaeologist has ever dug up (a crystal skull) anywhere in Mexico or Central America, or anywhere else for that matter,” Walsh said.

Researchers say none of the skulls displays characteristics typical of Aztec, Mayan, Toltec or Mixtec cultures. They come in different sizes, colors and styles. But all have at least one thing in common: an uncommon ability to attract attention. "

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I couldn't resist this thread! I have interviewed JoAnn parks, owner of Max the Texas Crystal Skull. Since then, we've become friends and I'll see her in a few weeks. Here's a pic w/ Joann in the middle holding Max, a Catholic priiest on the left and me on the right.

Attachments

• portrait-bits.jpg
    portrait-bits.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 117

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread