What are you sleeping on? (Mattress quality question)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
What are you sleeping on and do you like it? I'm looking at getting a new king size pillow top. I went and 'sampled' some today and I thought I would like the medium/plush pillow top, but I ended up favoring the ultra plush serta perfect sleeper pillow top. I tried the simmons and sealy line as well. The one thing I'm worried about, is lower back pain from a bed that I'm about to spend >$1,000 for.

Opinions?

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Yes, I've read a few complaints against sealy and their lack of cust support. I'm leaning toward serta perfect sleeper. Something about simmons individual coils leads me to thing that a single spring will take allot more abuse than springs that are stitched together (distributed load).

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i lost my post where did it go :D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was trying to correct some mispelled words and must of hit the delete button :icon_scratch:

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
My neighbor got a pillowtop bed, paid big bucks for it and it failed badly.
Got another new one...........its failed badly.

Our bed was bad...........took advice from my friends and visited the sleep number bed store in the mall.
Its a month old.......greatest sleep ive had in over 20 yrs. Wifey says the same thing so thats where you should first stop.

No affilation with their company whatsoever...........damned glad we got their product in our house.
Good Luck on your search.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbqbull said:
My neighbor got a pillowtop bed, paid big bucks for it and it failed badly.
Got another new one...........its failed badly.

Our bed was bad...........took advice from my friends and visited the sleep number bed store in the mall.
Its a month old.......greatest sleep ive had in over 20 yrs. Wifey says the same thing so thats where you should first stop.

No affilation with their company whatsoever...........damned glad we got their product in our house.
Good Luck on your search.
I hear thats a good bed...aa

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
The one thing I'm worried about, is lower back pain from a bed that I'm about to spend >$1,000 for.
Were in the same boat the wife wants a new bed but I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money (unless its for a SE ;D ) and end up with a piece of junk.
priority's :D

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a Lady Americana! friend has had it for 2 years one person using in good shape so hope it is firm need it for my back!

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
I got a Tempurpedic after MRS. Metal Head complained she wanted one for 2 years.

First 2 weeks are hard to get used to because you cant roll around. After that it will be hard to sleep on a regular bed again.

We love it!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Kind of like having a mattress literally seep around you and hold on.
Kathy says the mattress hugs her.
I have never had anything quite like it.
Worth every penny.

Thom

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been selling mattress' for 16 yrs out on the west coast and I can tell you there is nothing special about a Serta. They use what's called a " posterized center " simply means that they concentrate more coils in the middle 1/3 of the mattress. In my store in Redlands Cal we have over 150 beds on the floor. Kings will go from $ 599 to over $ 7500 ( for the set ). Ask any question you like... I'm ready..

PLL

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been delivering furniture and mattresses (new and used) for the past 12 1/2 years. A few years back we started carrying memory foam beds. Now, I'm not one to just jump at the next new thing to come along. I was quite happy with my traditional innerspring bed. However my Wife was not. My wife came in to work one day and the one memory foam bed caught her eye. She tried it out and instantly fell in love. So for the next few months she talked my ear off about how she wanted this bed. So I ordered the mattress and decided to build a platform for it. After a few nights of platform building, my wife came home to a brand new mattress on a platform just in time for her birthday.

Now, I've never had a problem getting to sleep, but this mattress is like magic. In the time it takes for my wife to brush her teeth, it's quite common for me to fall asleep in that short time.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
pegleglooker said:
I have been selling mattress' for 16 yrs out on the west coast and I can tell you there is nothing special about a Serta. They use what's called a " posterized center " simply means that they concentrate more coils in the middle 1/3 of the mattress. In my store in Redlands Cal we have over 150 beds on the floor. Kings will go from $ 599 to over $ 7500 ( for the set ). Ask any question you like... I'm ready..

PLL

Thanks,
I can remember an ex-gf bought a rather soft pillow top (don't remember what it was), but I also remember she didn't pay that much for it compared to the others that size. I remember my lower back was fully supported, but yet, the next morning, my lower back would always hurt. My concearn is that if I get an 'unltra plush' pillow top, will I have lower back pains... or, should I go with just a 'plush', and get used to it. In other words, if there such thing if I were to say "is it safer to go with a plush than an ultra plush". Or is that question not a valid one.

FWIW, I keep hearing, "your lower back will hurt if it's not supported". But, her bed DID support my back. It was just soft is all. That's what has me so puzzled.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Consider that you will spend a full 1/3 of your time using this thing.
you don't own anthing else that takes up as much of your life.
except your home. It is one of the most necessary pieces of equipment you own.
It is essential to being healthy.

Why settle for something less than adequate.

Thom

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm going to chime in on this one also for the TempurPedic (sp.?) beds. I'm a cheapskate at heart for the most part but I don't regret one dollar I spent on this bed. We upgraded from a full to a king at the time so I about crapped my pants when I started buying sheets, etc. But anyway, it is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. I have lower back problems stemming from my line of work and I can say it has helped trememdously. I'm not going to lie and say that they are cured (I still get a sore back if I lie in it too long) But I can lay and sleep in it and not wake up as sore as I used to. I can't stand going on vacation because I can't take my bed with me - talk about the pain coming back when I sleep in Hotel beds.

My mom slept in it some while she watched our son while we were away for a bit, and she said it helped her also. She ended up buying one for herself after she used ours.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
Metal Head said:
I got a Tempurpedic after MRS. Metal Head complained she wanted one for 2 years.

First 2 weeks are hard to get used to because you cant roll around. After that it will be hard to sleep on a regular bed again.

We love it!
i almost bought one 'cause by back and shoulder are both shot. but if you can't move around how do you ........? just fun.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all,
Ok here's the TRUE skinny on beds. Most beds today are made in 3 styles.. firm, plush, and pillowtop. If you haven't bought a bed in 9yrs or more, you really don't know what's out there. In the "old" days they basically made 2 types of beds hard.. or soft... period. But the soft beds broke down BAD!!!! So they ( most of all the vendors ) stop making those beds. Today, all they make are hard beds... But what they do now is put a lot of cushion on top to make it feel softer. So if you buy a softer bed, it's simply a firm with more cushion. Today they also make just one sided beds -no need to flip your bed anymore- The vendors realized they were replacing a lot of warranty issues when they shouldn't have ( people not flipping their beds ). So that is why they are one sided and the base is stronger. Your question, is too soft a bed bad... Yes, and too hard of a bed is also bad. The answer is very easy, to some too easy. Simply buy what is the MOST comfortable... In saying that, most of the ladies like is softer and guys have a tendency to like it a little firmer. In any marriage it's the key word " compromise "...And don't get sucked in on the hype.. more coils,thicker wire etc etc. This is simply a way for crappy sales people to get you to pay more than you need to. Most people have no idea what any of the " jargon " really means. Any quality bed made will hold at least 400-500lbs of weight. So any bed is " good for you " but it may not be comfy. So hone in on the comfy and you'll do fine. And one last thing, everybody is going to tell you what they think is the " greatest " and they are right... the bed they got is the best for them. You may agree or disagree depending on what you choose. But choose what YOU and your wife like.. simply said you have to make your own decision. In my store we have about 150 beds, I'll take some pixs so you see. On the west coast we are the premier company. It took me 13 years to be able to get into this place. On the eastcoast there is Sleepy's, and on the westcoast we are just as big but with less stores. In order to be in the top 10% a single salesperson has to sell 1.3 million per years minimum. Most stores don't do that much. The only advice I can give you is, if you looking for a bed today, make sure it has memory foam or latex. These are the only 2 foams that help make the bed not breakdown. And lastly ( because most salespeople don't know this ) after you get your bed make sure to rotate it head to foot ( 180 degrees ) every 2 weeks for the first 2 months. This allows the bed to break in evenly and stop some of the " hammocking ". Have fun and if there are any more questions I'm always here..

Enjoy
PLL

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
mikeofaustin said:
I have lower back pains... or, should I go with just a 'plush', and get used to it. In other words, if there such thing if I were to say "is it safer to go with a plush than an ultra plush". Or is that question not a valid one.

Have you ever considered an old fashion full bag of water waterbed?
I had morning back pain for years.
Then we got a waterbed. NO morning back pain from day one!
We had that thing for almost 30 years. ISYN !

Been on a sealy pillowtop for 8 years now. It always feels cold when I first get in It's ok, I guess ,,,, but I miss that waterbed ! Always warm when you got in :icon_sunny: and soooooooooo comfy :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread