Hardheadedness = heat stroke

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was only 91 today so no big deal right ? Just a few minutes of metal detecting wont hurt right? We wont go far from the car because its a little warm right ? Walking out in the old air base i noticed the sweat started rolling off my glasses. I found a 29 wheat and thought it IS hot out here. All of sudden i got a strong signal and got on my knees and began to dig all the while wiping my face. I remember digging thinking i better go home i feel weak. About that time a 37 mercury popped out of the hole and zing i cant get up. Dizzy and weak i got up and saw i walked 100 yards from the car. :o I made it back but never again. Must be my age because that has never happened to me before. Anybody else out there ever run across this?

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Glad to hear you made it back, yeap the temps are rising and you need to be careful or TT will be after you :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
gracious buddy! So glad you made it back! You be careful! No more detecting without appropriate ways to cool off! :nono: ~hugs~

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Keep those towels in the cooler.They feel great on the back of your neck.Nice finds and I hope you had someone else with you.Don't go it alone in the summer heat.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
glad you're ok, AA! heat is nothing to fool with but you know that. i never drink enough and it gets to me too. sat. it was so hot and muggy here. i was working around and i got dehyrated. i was drinking but not enough. again, glad you are fine. Bill

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel better now and i finally have an excuse for not thinking straight :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah--even us in the Iron Brigade won't hunt alone in the heat. Glad you're o.k.

Nice job with the Merc.

-Buckles

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate

I take a couple gallons with me wherever I go...

Pour it over my head if I don't drink it, and get more!

I've been real slow on work, but have left after two short days when it got 110 & 111 with no relief.

Ain't nothin' EASY, but practice common sense!

Best

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful out there its way to hot to go with out taking water with you :nono: :violent1: :whip2:

DO NOT DO IT AGAIN ! You trying to not only scare yourself but all of us too! Geesh!

And yes I pulled a dumb stunt like that several years ago, barely made it back to the car! :tard:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camelbak

Attachments

• 29572.jpg
    29572.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 176

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Mowed 2 yards today, taking a break every 15 min or so. Cool wet towels are good. Also a semi-frozen camelbak helps. Drink as it melts. Also don't drink too much water at once or your kidneys will just push it right back out, drink moderately throughout instead...your body can sweat a lot more than you might think.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
It was only 91 today so no big deal right ? Just a few minutes of metal detecting wont hurt right? We wont go far from the car because its a little warm right ? Walking out in the old air base i noticed the sweat started rolling off my glasses. I found a 29 wheat and thought it IS hot out here. All of sudden i got a strong signal and got on my knees and began to dig all the while wiping my face. I remember digging thinking i better go home i feel weak. About that time a 37 mercury popped out of the hole and zing i cant get up. Dizzy and weak i got up and saw i walked 100 yards from the car. :o I made it back but never again. Must be my age because that has never happened to me before. Anybody else out there ever run across this?
wear a hat and put a ice pack in your front pocket

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
A Dr. that deals with FF's & LEO's involved in strenuous activities during the summer explained that the body can overload on drinks like Gatorade and such. This creates an imbalance in the body and can be just as dangerous as heat stroke/exhaustion. His recommendation is dilute 50% replenishment drink and 50% water. We do this and it seems to have benefits on keeping guys from suffering from dehydration.

I force our guys to drink 2 hours before training and during training. I tell'em that if they aren't going to the bathroom during training, then they aren't drinking enough. I also tell'em that if they choose not to drink, the Paramedics need practice in starting IV's and I won't hesitate in calling them. ;D

Recognize the signs of dehydration before you get to the point of being lightheaded & the inability to move...when the thinking process starts to slow, it is a warning that the body is becoming low on water, hydrate for 15 minutes in shade and it usually balances back to normal. A wet, cold cloth to the back of the neck helps in cooling the body back down.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the concern i still was a little weak today at work..aa

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Hi AA,

Yep, the heat of summer is here. Good idea to stay hydrated. Drink before you go out and while you are out, drink plenty. Sounds like you had a close call there AA.

Lots of good advice given in other posts. I only go out early in AM in summer. If it is late morning, I do short hunts before the heat gets too bad. Usually have to quit by 11 AM.

Stay safe.

Ray S

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep
I believe it hit me Last sunday.

Got ill while detecting, ended up making an early day of it.

Got a New Spot again. a Church grove used by all the churches in the town
since 1916 (Great year for Dimes & Quarters) and possably picnic grove before that.
never detected that I'm aware of.
calling for 92 today. so Not going to do it till next Sunday now.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
nana40hubby said:
eagle77 said:
...when the thinking process starts to slow,

Oh Lord I'm in trouble NANA CALL 911! ;D

I do hope all is well with you!

Charlie

LMAO