real stupid question

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Yes and or no. Depends on the environment/soil. But usually they just rust away to their natural state...where it all began in the first place.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Yes and or no. Depends on the environment/soil. But usually they just rust away to their natural state...where it all began in the first place.
i just wondered because i placed a copper cent (which is different ) on an ant hill and it disappeared. Digging up the nest i discovered it was inside the middle of it and it seemed like the ants were attracted to it. A while back Mastereagle noticed he was finding coins in ant nests. :dontknow:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Yes and the phenomenon seems to be continuing this summer. Every copper penny I have dug in the last couple of weeks had ants in the ground near it.

Hmmmmm :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Yes and the phenomenon seems to be continuing this summer. Every copper penny I have dug in the last couple of weeks had ants in the ground near it.

Hmmmmm :icon_scratch:
i still dont understand why :icon_scratch:

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Nope! Your not nuts. Or maybe I am too. :D I think of you every time I dig a target and see ants, I head in that direction and there it is. I laugh every time! :) Karma or what? :icon_scratch:

T

trish76642

I dont think your question is 'stupid' at all! As a matter of fact i find it very interesting...makes me wanna go out and dig up an ant hill!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
IMO, a coppa degenerating in acidic soil would create an electric charge which might attract the little critters.

Who knows why????

LoL

MY 2 cents!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post aa,

I have noticed the same thing. It seems to be a lot less frequent here in Tennessee though.

DANGLANGLEY

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
It only makes sense to me....

They say sharks may come to a coil in the surf,
and dogs are repelled by the wire in the ground at some frequency...

Electrolysis of a coin in dirt is an electrical process...

Why not?

If there's something going on in the hood, critters definitely want to know about it, or get as far as they can away from it....

and there ain't NO stupid questions!

Best

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Sorry - had to post it again :)

AA.JPG

Attachments

• AA.JPG
    AA.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i found a partial explanation i think :icon_scratch: Ants are blind and use their antenae to recognize other ants of the colony. An ant can tell chemical makeup of an object like their own . OK i believe copper when it oxidizes gives of the same chemical as the ant therefore its accepted in the nest. I know different soils change the process of oxidation of copper but that's all i can come up with or they use the coin as a roof. :D Help me out here i flunked Chemistry. :icon_scratch:

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
aa battery said:
OK i found a partial explanation i think :icon_scratch: Ants are blind and use their antenae to recognize other ants of the colony. An ant can tell chemical makeup of an object like their own . OK i believe copper when it oxidizes gives of the same chemical as the ant therefore its accepted in the nest. I know different soils change the process of oxidation of copper but that's all i can come up with or they use the coin as a roof. :D Help me out here i flunked Chemistry. :icon_scratch:

Or the ANTs are taking over the world! ANTs every where you look now days. I could remember 20 years ago very few ANTs were around now if you don't speak ANTs...Well thats another story.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
aa battery said:
when metal rusts does it give off any type of gas or carbons?I told you it was stupid :tard:

That's not a stupid question: Do Zombies experience tooth decay? Now that's a stupid question, of course they do, duh!

I can smell rust, so it must put out an odor...

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
Geesh...are we running out of topics? This is dejuvu all over again! :D

Where's Monty? ::)