Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandmas Receit For Washing Clothes:
When you life seems tedious and hard to bear, consider this "receit" iven to a young bride by her

grandmother. It is printed here exactly as orginally written.

Hope ya'll like this --

1. Bild fire in back yard to heet kittle if rain water.
2. Set tubs sono smoke won't blow in eyes if wind gets pert.
3. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in biling water.
4. Sort things, making these piles, 1 pile white, 1 pile cullord, 1 pile work britches and rags.
5. Stur flour in cold water to smoothe, then thin down with biling water.
6. Rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, then bile. Rub collord but dont bile, just rench and starch.
7. Take white things out of kittle with brown shiels handle, then rench, blew and starch.
8. Spread tee towels on grass.
9. Hang old rags on fence.
10. Pour rench water on flower beds.
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
12. Turn tubs upside down.
13. Go put on clean dress, smash hair with side combs, brew cup of tea, st and rest and rock a spell and count blessings.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
That Granny sound like a sweet hard working lady,
who might have some home made ginger snaps hiding out somewhere.

Wish my granny had been that kind.

Thom

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my grandmother was only she also washed and cooked outside the home and took in wash for others, plus she taught it to me plus making time to cook and bake and keep house and sew ect. plus spruce up youself when your done with the yard work too!

No men in our house grandfather died when I was 3. So we did it ourselves. She raised me.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Just like the way my grandmother did it till grandpa bought her a new fangled electric one back in the 30's. Similar to this one but her's had a manual roller. :) Thanks for the memories. :-*

Attachments

• maytag.jpg
    maytag.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 228

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Of course she also taught me how to make soap, butter, cheese, etc. Sometimes about the only thing the pioneers had to bring west with them were the bare beginnings of a household and the knowledge that was passed down to each generation but a lot was also OJT.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
This is the way it was, except around where I lived, no grass or weeds, the yard was swept clean, had to make that lye soap and we had clothes lines. She didn't mention the battling stick use to beat the dirt out of the overalls. That was great piece of paper with those memories. We thought we had it good back before radio , TV and electricity. Now most folks think we had it rough, but like I said, we thought we had it good. It was WWII before we had electricity. The toilet was just past the wood pile so you could bring back some stovewood for the kitchen, that was some efficiency planning, by Pa. That was the hills and we were behind except good food. That big old wood range cannot be duplicated as far as I'm concerned. Gnewt

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Gnewt,

when we tore the old farmhouse downsome of the things that remained were only used as decoration.
but one of them was in fact that old kitchen range.

I respectfully and with much care took it apart and reassembled it in the top of the old homestead house.
It id so heavy and big that it is still there today, took me two days alone to get it in there and working.

Nobody was around when I did it ....
and now they all wonder how to gt it out without tearing down that old house.
they would sell it in a yard sale if they could.

I just humm softly and go about my business.

Thom

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Oh yea, they were heavy, warming closet on top and the reservoir on the side, so you could heat the water for dish washing. The warming closet would keep the potatoes and bread warm for between meals. Always had Tea Cakes on the reservoir for snacks. Those were kept in a flour sack. They were about three inches in dia. smeared with butter they were great. If you got hungry, a baked sweet potato out of the warming closet with lots of butter was better than a Big Mac.
We had three to seven gallons of milk a day, left over each day was fed to hogs or chickens. The butter was sold or traded sometimes and given to a widow neighbor that had three small kids.(they never wanted for food) and the government did not get involved, no welfare or social security. My old days memories makes me want to go back and watch kids grow up with morals and no drugs. We never got bored because we made our toys and games, we had chores and respect for our elders. I am not bored, just boring Bye. Gnewt

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
gnewt said:
Oh yea, they were heavy, warming closet on top and the reservoir on the side, so you could heat the water for dish washing. The warming closet would keep the potatoes and bread warm for between meals. Always had Tea Cakes on the reservoir for snacks. Those were kept in a flour sack. They were about three inches in dia. smeared with butter they were great. If you got hungry, a baked sweet potato out of the warming closet with lots of butter was better than a Big Mac.
We had three to seven gallons of milk a day, left over each day was fed to hogs or chickens. The butter was sold or traded sometimes and given to a widow neighbor that had three small kids.(they never wanted for food) and the government did not get involved, no welfare or social security. My old days memories makes me want to go back and watch kids grow up with morals and no drugs. We never got bored because we made our toys and games, we had chores and respect for our elders. I am not bored, just boring Bye. Gnewt

Hon, if that's boring, then let me have some more of it.

I grew up in the city, but my mom was from a small town in the south. A lot of her memories were similar to yours. We didn't have the fresh milk or butter, but I sure had chores, (not that many, really) as did 90% of my friends. We made up our own games, and there were no battery operated dolls to do our "pretending" for us. We didn't have to have batteries to make our doll-babies cry, nor to make a bicycle go. We used our imaginations to fill in whatever blanks there were.

Kids nowadays - they have a lot of fancy doodads (written as I sit at the computer - my current fancy doodad - ha) - but so many don't know how to make their own playtime!

terrific thread - thanks

Nan

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
gnewt said:
My old days memories makes me want to go back and watch kids grow up with morals and no drugs. We never got bored because we made our toys and games,

Hey buddy you got that right,
I have fond memories of wind up toys we made with sewing spools toothpicks and rubberbands.
as well as some hand me down tootsie cars and things. We lacked for little and our imaginations flourished.

Today when we have spare time in my shop ...
it isn't unusual to see a guy making some unusual toy or game.
The guys all put them together at the end of the year and sometimes for other things like toys for abused and abandoned children, and toys for tots. sometimes they even entertain special requests.
All using scraps. and all because they want to.
I have never seen one of these guys pay cash for a toy.

Just to let you know it still goes on, and the kids love them.
You can't convince these kids there is no Santa.

I have a very special bunch of guys.
Thom

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I remember the stock material for kids to make toys before tubeless tires and when rubber, the red kind was used to make tubes. Sling shots, rubber guns, and the bands for those spool tractors you mentioned. Not to mention the sand bars in the dry creek beds. We would go to the creek and catch crawfish and little fish with bent straight pins for hooks and floursack or saltsack ravelling for lines.
We would take our shooters(sling shots) and knock the blossoms out of poplar trees and lick the honey out, they were sticky with honey. That was our treat.
We would dam the creek and swim in 53 degree water in the summer, the creek was fed by springs, may have two and a half foot of water to swim and dive in, so cold it would give you lock jaw. We had it rough and thought it was fun, had no idea what rough was, except when that evil old woman would come into the room jerk the covers off and give you a beating she promised the day before with a switch that would leave some stripes. When she promised, we didn't know when and dreaded the time coming. The suspense was worse than the beating. The good part you forgot the pain and moved on. We lived in a different world. Gnewt

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I played outside alot kick ball, baseball dirt clods fights mainly a boy neighborhood, I drew lot and played board games and dolls with some girls that lived down the street. I I played cowboys and indians ( thats how Jeff found my Roy Rogers Gun in the back yard weplayed cops and robbers climed fences chased each other my 2 kinda automated toys I remeber well were an etch a setch NO batteries and the only battery tou I recall was a Chatty Cathy doll she had little records that you slid in and she sang!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sigh, Being the apple of my grannies eye, I was allowed to stand behind the warming section of the stove and the wall early in the frosty mornings, while my cousins went a milking. snicker .

Of course she also had that damn willow tree just outside of the kitchen when I boobooed. To add insult to injury, I had to actally cut my own whip, and it had better be a good one or she would select an even strudier one.

Now you know why I am a SAINT.

.Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We also see why your stories are so very good! ;D Grandmas are the best for disiplene even thou it hurts at the time it was to teach ! But they (we) are the best to spoil too!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Real de Tayopa said:
sigh, Being the apple of my grannies eye, I was allowed to stand behind the warming section of the stove and the wall early in the frosty mornings, while my cousins went a milking. snicker .

Of course she also had that damn willow tree just outside of the kitchen when I boobooed. To add insult to injury, I had to actally cut my own whip, and it had better be a good one or she would select an even strudier one.

Now you know why I am a SAINT.

.Jose de La Mancha

I'd say she was just making sure there was no chaff in the wheat. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread