What are my options for cracked wires?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By TwistedElvis
  • 1 Post By whistler84
  • 2 Post By South Padre Treasure
  • 1 Post By TwistedElvis
  • 2 Post By South Padre Treasure
  • 1 Post By cudamark

Thread: What are my options for cracked wires?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Diver

Aug 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
    27 times
    You can take the Land and I will take the Sea!

What are my options for cracked wires?

I just pulled my Excalibur 1000 out of the closet to find the coil wires all cracked close to main housing.
    Im thinking of a better coil at this point and I have seen quick disconnects.
    Will the quick disconnects work at max rated depths of the unit? or would hard wiring like stock work better.
    And who is best to do the mod?

Jun 2015
    179 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would try and save the coil if i could. Possibly try an rtv silicone, dabbed on and smoothed over. It would keep it together and still keep moisture out.
    trdking likes this.

us
    Aug 2019
    South Padre Island Texas
    Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay, Whites PI, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600
    94 times
    Just to let you know, When I pulled my CZ20 out of the closet after sitting a few years, I still regret that move. I found the coil cable to be almost gone in a lot of places. I did not know what would be the best route so I went to harbor freight bought some electrical tape, then wrapped the entire coil wire. I also bought a can of liquid tape same place and sprayed entire cable. let it dry in the sun. wrapped again with tape and sprayed another coat. let it dry and took it into the salt water to test. its been working since. Now after working with my Excalibur II modifying I have learned how to replace my coil wire and make it water proof with the help of OBN. I think if the rest of the cable is ok just fix the broken section, but most likely the rest is soon to go to. I can give you the info where and what cable to buy for coil as OBN has done for me and if I can help in any way I would be glad to do as well. That's why there is a forum to help each other.
    RustyGold and OBN like this.

us
    Diver

Aug 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
    27 times
    You can take the Land and I will take the Sea!
    Yes I would love the info as I know it's just a matter of time before the rest goes.

us
    Aug 2019
    South Padre Island Texas
    Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay, Whites PI, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600
    94 times
    Coil Cable, purchased from McMaster-Carr. Part #9204K12 Oil-Resistant Continuous-Flex Cable 600V AC 20-Gauge Wires....comes in many length. $3.62 per ft.

I used this cable to make my Excalibur stock coil better for me to use hip mounted. no problems at all.

Since your ordering from Carr, you might want to get some spare Stainless Steel Flat-Tip Set Screws if you need to replace knobs or housing end caps. Part #92605A113 $3.64 PACK OF 25
    Last edited by South Padre Treasure; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:16 AM.
    trdking and OBN like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7672 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedElvis View Post
    I just pulled my Excalibur 1000 out of the closet to find the coil wires all cracked close to main housing.
    Im thinking of a better coil at this point and I have seen quick disconnects.
    Will the quick disconnects work at max rated depths of the unit? or would hard wiring like stock work better.
    And who is best to do the mod?
    Hardwiring it would be best for deep diving. Tony Eisenhower is local to us, and does a great job repairing and modding Excaliburs. Depending on what use you plan to do, a different coil might the right move.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links