1811 Mexican Coin
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By HollisterSteve
  • 1 Post By Mackaydon
  • 3 Post By Tom_in_CA

Thread: 1811 Mexican Coin

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2016
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

1811 Spanish Coin

Found in San Benito County last week. 1811 8 reales Durango mint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160607_0003.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1323612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160607_0002.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1323613  
    Last edited by HollisterSteve; Jun 10, 2016 at 09:20 AM.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4394 times
    A nice huge 8 Reales. Sweeeetttt.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3495 times
    Research/Limited field work
    1811 Spanish coin. Didn't become Mexico until 1821. Very nice find...

us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    963 times
    Wowzer!! That coin is in great shape!! If only it could talk and it's (our) local history!
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

us
    Oct 2006
    2641 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    wow nice find.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12925 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome to TreasureNet !!
    That's a great looking coin; first one of those (from Durango) that I've seen on TN.
    It was the first year of that series (1811-1822), issued during Mexico's War of Independence (1810-1821); a Royalist Issue.
    It was also a large coin (at 40mm diameter-or about 5% bigger than an Ike dollar).
    Several years ago that coin was worth BIG BUCKS. I wouldn't clean it, but I would get it authenticated and graded.
    But I'd first go back to the same area and keep digging.
    Don.......
    Don.........
    Tuberale likes this.

us
    Oct 2006
    2641 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    That's a great looking coin; first one of those (from Durango) that I've seen on TN.
    It was the first year of that series (1811-1822), issued during Mexico's War of Independence (1810-1821); a Royalist Issue.
    It was also a large coin (at 40mm diameter-or about 5% bigger than an Ike dollar).
    Several years ago that coin was worth BIG BUCKS. I wouldn't clean it, but I would get it authenticated and graded.
    Don.......
    Don.........
    can i go?

Jan 2016
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Don.......
    Don.........
    Thanks for the info! I did some online research and I couldn't find much info about it.

us
    Average Joe

Mar 2014
    Hanford Ca
    Whites TDI Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350, Treasure Commander TC2X
    50 times
    Nice find bud.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Steve, Thanx for posting that on the kinzli forum too. Reales are hard enough to find in CA as it is (barring those later ones that were arriving and still circulating at the early part of statehood and the gold rush era). But for reales of the Mexican era and Spanish era: The entire non-indian population of CA, prior to ... say .... 1840, was probably numbered only @ 10k or so ? So to find coins from that era, is a needle in hay-stacks.

And to top it all off, you don't content yourself with merely finding a half reale, 1 reale, or 2 reale. You go straight to the top and get an 8 reale! That's like finding a USA silver dollar as your first silver coin.

And I know you worked hard for that puppy. Because I know where you found it In that field there's been perhaps 70 to 90 or so reales that I can think of that've turned up. And 6 gold coins. And scores of buttons. But it's no longer easy to work. Heck, even "back in the day" a guy would work hard for a single reale (but with less junk than is there now, so it wasn't as punishing back then).

Of all the reales that've been found in that field, I think perhaps 4 were 8 reale denomination. Including two from the Zacatecas mint .

As far as value of yours: If you want to email me some macro shots, I will forward them to a coin collector wheeler dealer friend of mine for his input. Years ago (before the advent of ebay, etc...) reales were usually of no value. It was hard to find buyers here, as most people in the USA tend to collect USA coins, of course. So no matter WHAT the world coin book said, you'd be hard-pressed to find a buyer. Heck, sometimes we'd even find ones that supposedly were not minted in a certain year, or from a mint that supposedly didn't put out that denomination that year, etc... And even having pointed that out to the coin store guy, they still weren't interested. Because fact was, there simply wasn't buyers.

But the advent of the internet, ebay, etc.... changed all that. Now that the "world is smaller", collectors of niche coin categories like that, can indeed "bid up" the value, spur interest etc... On the downside, of course, is there can be gluts in the market of ones previously thought to be rare. Or perhaps still rare, but all the certain niche collectors have found their sample, hence demand for more that surface go down. So it's a mixed bag. So send me some pix via email, and I'll shoot them to my collector friend.

Congratz again!

us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    963 times
    Congratz again Steve and thanks to Tom for the above post! Love the history that can be found of Old California in our area!!
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

Jan 2016
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Steve, Thanx for posting that on the kinzli forum too. Reales are hard enough to find in CA as it is (barring those later ones that were arriving and still circulating at the early part of statehood and the gold rush era). But for reales of the Mexican era and Spanish era: The entire non-indian population of CA, prior to ... say .... 1840, was probably numbered only @ 10k or so ? So to find coins from that era, is a needle in hay-stacks.

And to top it all off, you don't content yourself with merely finding a half reale, 1 reale, or 2 reale. You go straight to the top and get an 8 reale! That's like finding a USA silver dollar as your first silver coin.

And I know you worked hard for that puppy. Because I know where you found it In that field there's been perhaps 70 to 90 or so reales that I can think of that've turned up. And 6 gold coins. And scores of buttons. But it's no longer easy to work. Heck, even "back in the day" a guy would work hard for a single reale (but with less junk than is there now, so it wasn't as punishing back then).

Of all the reales that've been found in that field, I think perhaps 4 were 8 reale denomination. Including two from the Zacatecas mint .

As far as value of yours: If you want to email me some macro shots, I will forward them to a coin collector wheeler dealer friend of mine for his input. Years ago (before the advent of ebay, etc...) reales were usually of no value. It was hard to find buyers here, as most people in the USA tend to collect USA coins, of course. So no matter WHAT the world coin book said, you'd be hard-pressed to find a buyer. Heck, sometimes we'd even find ones that supposedly were not minted in a certain year, or from a mint that supposedly didn't put out that denomination that year, etc... And even having pointed that out to the coin store guy, they still weren't interested. Because fact was, there simply wasn't buyers.

But the advent of the internet, ebay, etc.... changed all that. Now that the "world is smaller", collectors of niche coin categories like that, can indeed "bid up" the value, spur interest etc... On the downside, of course, is there can be gluts in the market of ones previously thought to be rare. Or perhaps still rare, but all the certain niche collectors have found their sample, hence demand for more that surface go down. So it's a mixed bag. So send me some pix via email, and I'll shoot them to my collector friend.

Congratz again!
    Wow thanks for all this info and the info that led me to that spot Tom! I will send you some better picures of the coin this week.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Ok. And I sent you a PM on the kinzli forum. Did you get that ?

us
    Dec 2015
    Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    431 times
    Wow that's awesome.
    The Finder and Keeper of treasures. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The American Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1876 times
    Need to get it weighed and appraised, Steve. I'm a little concerned over the dent on the right side...

Sponsored Links