Metal Detecting and Springs First Wildflowers

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Metal Detecting and Spring's First Wildflowers

I took my metal detector out yesterday to check an old mill site along the river. I'd seen an Iowa map from the 1800's that showed the mill and an old road that led down over the bluff to it. I found a lot of junk and steel right in the vicinity of the old mill but not much of anything else besides bullets and shell casings. I decided to check the road that led down to it as I sometimes find some old coins or horseshoes on those old roads. I got a really good signal and figured I'd found a coin by the reading I got and the size of the target. I popped out a gold wedding band on the first shovel of dirt. The only other thing I found was an old toy gun.

ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

group.jpg

Also, a sure sign of spring, besides the tornadoes we had around central Iowa. I found some Trillium in bloom and some Hepatica just starting to put out some blossoms.

trillium8.jpg

trillium6.jpg

trillium3.jpg

hep1.jpg

hep2.jpg

hep7.jpg

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Re: Metal Detecting and Spring's First Wildflowers

That's quite a band you found there :thumbsup: I would like to see what it looked like after it's cleaned up, with the price of gold these days that's a great find. Love the pics as well, nothing like a sure sign of spring!

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa

Nice haul Tom - amazing what a metal detector can produce! Bet that rings cleans up nice. PS, don't tell my wife you found it or I will have to wear it again ;D

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011

Very cool Uncle Tom.

I'm sure there is some amazing history behind the wedding band and some youngsters toy gun.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010

Nice lot T I remember the old ranger pistol getting ahold of one as a youngster with a working trigger was worth fighting for .Spring blooms is shure nice too see I wonder what this years forbes will be like last year was great for the mesics and sedges in my neck of the prairies.thanks for pics Tom very warming

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540

nice finds, the ring appears to be gold filled (plated) and you have lost most of your plating. I found one just like that two weeks ago only smaller with the same green patina where the gold has flaked off. A hard scrub will remove the green but leave a dark reddish brown color wherever the base metal shows through. JJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread