Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an EXCELLENT coin! And well deserving of a reply. I got my spanish reale in Virginia at old mill site about 12 years ago, and I watched my diggin buddy kindafoundabuckle recover one this past December here in KY. Welcome to the colonial silver club!

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
cliff dfx

cliff dfx

Mar 26, 2007
falmouth KY
Detector(s) used
dfx /xlt
thanks for looking it gets heart going when u found one where r u in ky , i live in falmouth ,ky

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louisville.

Regards,

Buckleboy

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
That's one awsome find there. Big Congrats and I hope you find more, but save one for me please :D.

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Most folks assume the frequent holes in the found reale coins were because someone wore them around their neck like jewelry. This was not commonly the case. The holes were most often put into the coins so that they could be sewn into the clothing to hide them as these coins circulated at a time when the shortage of gold and silver coinage in the colonies made even the smallest of these coins very desirable objects to acquire... often by robbery.

Often folks leaving on the Spanish Galleons would have so many of these coins sewn into their clothing that if the ship hit a storm and started to sink they drowned because the weight of the coins made it impossible for them to swim.

Congratulations on a great find! And you got it right here in good ol' Kaintucky!

My own first Spanish 2 reale was a 1780 but it didn't come that easy.... I found it in the Ten Thousand Islands off Florida's Southwest coast on one of the islands where Gasparilla's pirates lived. I found it about 30 feet from the beach by the old well the pirates used for water. The amazing thing is, with the passing of the years I can now say that I have found more Spanish coins in Kentucky than I have in Florida... go figure!

DC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions