First Buffalo

fonfixer

Feb 18, 2008
blanchard, la
Detector(s) used
dfx
I know a bunch of ya'll probably already found a buffalo nickel but I recently found my first one. Me and Steve (Juanmoretime) went to an old school yard near coushatta about two weeks ago. The first thing we realized was that there was more trash than normal so we went around back to the ball field. I started right down the middle of the field and about half way across hit a good solid signal. It wasn't the typical nickel signal for my machine but it was a good returning signal. I fished it out of the ground but thought it was only a 1950's at best a 1940's. I just about crapped my pants when i rubbed off enough dirt to see that indian looking back at me!! After cleaning with water and a brush I saw a date of 1938! I also found a really nice 1944 silver nickel which after it was cleaned with water and a soft brush looks as if it could have came out of pocket change yesterday.

Doug

Attachments

• oldschool-022.jpg
    oldschool-022.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 336

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first Doug. ;D :o Of course, I was there but this will be the first of many more and a lot more fun. Digging is just fun!!! :-X ::)

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Not a bad start. I found a silver nickle last week on a football field. Was hunting with the wife and Tensas. Nickles and gold rings are not far apart. See you guys at the LBH.

K

KirkTN

Buffalo By a Year, the last year they were made. ;) WTG. I found my first Nov. of 07 it's like it opened the door. I've found 7 now. ;D Hope you Find many more.

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
I found my first one just a month ago in my mother-in-laws front yard about 5" dowwn near the old narrow driveway. date was worn but the indian head and buffalo are very plain. Congratulations and many more for all of us. ...I like the way he talks....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Doug!! Buffalo nickels are really nice to find...my first was pocket change given to my husband. Only if I could find one with the MD.

:) RR

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Coingratulations........!!! I'm still trying to find my first wheat :'( But lots of clad so far!!! :icon_sunny:

Tensas

Sep 23, 2007
Waterproof, LA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon
I have found 2 Indian Head Nickels. 1929 & 1938, and I haven't stopped looking for # 3 that's what it's all about, the hunt.

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
Nice. My indian head is still my oldest coin to date, a 1910 found at a ghost town here in sw LA.

K

KirkTN

Good job on the BUFF. Looks like someone was lookin' for gold with all the Nicks you found :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread