Masonic Token

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
A friend that use to live in the area, but moved down to Fla., came up for a few days to visit relatives.... He brought his DFX with him, so we got together yesterday to check out this wooded area that we both know.... I got my usual 6 bottle caps, one large juice jar cap, and a number of nails..... Gil picked up a quarter and a dime in clad.....

After a few hours we went back to my house and talked about meeting up later in the week to check out a couple of tot lots and ball fields..... I live in veteran housing, and I was explaining to him that all the houses on my street were built back in the 40's so the guys coming back from WWII would have a place to stay until they got on their feet....

I mentioned that my family was only the second family to live here.... I moved in, in 1985, but the guy before me had been here since he got out of the service in the 40's....

I mentioned that I had done part of the back yard but only found a rusted bracklet and other junk..... That's when Gil decided to give me some experience with his DFX and his pinpointer..... cool with me, I'm always willing to learn something....

Well I started in the side yard... I had only walked about 10 feet when I got this odd signal... Gil said to dig it... it was suppose to be about 4 inches down.... well I dug but I couldn't find it....
so Gil pulled off the pinpointer from the machine and started to show me how to use it... in less then two seconds ( this guy is good ! ) he pulled out what we both thought was a large cent.... This is cool I thought.... but then when we poured a little water on it we found that it was actually a Masonic token.... on the front side it said.... Gardner Masonic Lodge Gardner Mass and on the rear it said... I bought a stone for the temple......

Now being that I'm a Mason and I belong to that lodge, I thought, how really cool this is ! .....

We both thought that this must have been something that was given to people who helped fund the building of the lodge.....

Well later that night I called one of the lodge officers, he's been there for ages, so I figured he'd have some answers.... he explained that within the lodge there are a number of different "orders".... I only belong to Blue lodge, but there are others.... it seems that a couple of them give these to members of their order when they complete their final degree for that order.... The "I bought a stone for the temple" has a Masonic meaning... If it had some historical value to the lodge I was going to give it to them.... but he told me I could keep it because there was no "historical" value to the lodge for it.... which again, was fine with me...

If it wasn't for my friend Gil showing me how to use his detector I probablky would never have found it.... Thanks Gil.......
I also found a wheatie, it looks like a 1950 D, but It's really hard to make out....
We had a great time and I got myself a Masonic token ! :thumbsup:

Here's what it looks like......

Attachments

• Frt Masonic token.jpg
    Frt Masonic token.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 782
  • Bck Masonic Token.jpg
    Bck Masonic Token.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 663

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
That is so neat. I have a real appreciation as I'm a Vietnam Veteran and have
been a Mason and Shriner for over 30 years. Congratulations. Well done.
I also use a DFX and the new DetectorPro Pistol Probe.

OP
OP
bennym

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Thank you Pookie ~

Thank you blklab ~ I'm a Nam "ERA" vet... I wasn't in country, I was over in Korea instead....
I've been a 3rd degree Blue Lodge Mason since 1985.... started through the chairs but took a demit a few years ago for health reasons....
Thanks for the comment guys....

OP
OP
bennym

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Hi there Houdini ~
Always nice to meet a fellow Brethren...... Thank you for the comment....

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Coolio man. Did u get to see my latest finds over on what is it? Very cool. Just started a cellar hole and got a face plate to a stove and what I feared to be a body bag. Whew just an empty garment bag tossed away. I am so bad now even when we just go walking in the woods I have a rubbish bag for all the trash I come across. Congrats again on your finds. ttys

OP
OP
bennym

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Yes I saw them, pretty cool.......
Hey ~ use the body bag for trash ! :D ;D :o

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this Masonic dress dagger, anyone every see one of these before and know how old it is? thank you, Robert

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 601
OP
OP
bennym

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Nice find Rob ~
Never saw one before, but I bet it was cool !

bristp

May 25, 2012
Southeastern MA / RI
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, XPointer,
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I am also a Mason from Fall River. My girlfriends parents live in Gardner and I'm planning on visiting the lodge soon! Seems to be a lot of Brothers into metal detecting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread