Strange bracelet from the schoolhouse

dutchroots

Aug 25, 2007
I went back to the schoolhouse again tonight just before dark. Found the usual pocket full of metal junk. Two matchbox cars, an iron loop, a metal tube, a small oval plate with the number 17, one rotted away Lincoln penny, and this interesting bracelet.

Looks copper and I'm sure it's not valuable. It has a neat design on the front. The background is a rectangular flag with a red stripe on top, yellow in the middle, and green or blue on the bottom. On top of this is a crescent with the points down, and across the crescent is an Arabian style sword with the letters "ANSAR" and the date 1941 on it.

After doing a little checking on the web I found this site.....
http://www.ansarshrine.com/

They are shriners. Around here the shriners host a circus every year, so maybe one of the school kids got this at the circus in 1941. Neat.

Attachments

• ansar1.jpg
    ansar1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 238
  • ansar2.jpg
    ansar2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 220

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find, I'd rather wear the bracelet than one of those hats :laughing7: good huntin' :thumbsup:

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That bracelet is pretty cool. Also congrats on the old coins you found there before. Looks like your MXT is paying off. With alittle careful cleaning, that bracelet might look nice.
P.S. All I found this weekend was some old railroad relics. Also got my second tick of the year.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that is a neat find! Are you coming to the meeting Tuesday night?

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Cool Bracelet! Hopefully it will clean up nice!

Maybe you could get a hat too!

What do you mean "one rotted away Lincoln Penny"?, Man, you will ruin the reputation of all us old Hollanders!
Squeeze those Pennys! LOL!

Good Luck,
Mark (The Northen Michigan Dutchman)

OP
OP
D

dutchroots

Aug 25, 2007
Thanks everyone! And Mike, I'll try to make it to the meeting tomorrow.

Chris

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice bracelet DR, pull all of that junk metal outa the ground, and good signals will start to appear...the detectorists of yesteryear tended to cherry pick and discriminate for the good finds, there's still alot left in the dirt!

ffd

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
That's a cool find. I've seen copper bracelets, but never one like that. Nice piece of history.
Mike

M

michigan michael

Sweet find! :icon_thumright: That is definitely copper. My Grandmother use to believe copper bracelets like that would help ease arthritis. We use to have quite a few around the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread