Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I've never tried a night hunt mostly because I usually hunt alone and I'm nervous about being out alone at night. But tonight, with the warm temps, I had to give it a try at a farm house just down the road where they know and love me.:) (I made sure to let them know I was coming as we've had a lot of break-ins around here recently.) This is the same house where I recently found the Kellogg's fob and I have an area I plan to concentrate on that seems to be the relic field. Early in the hunt I got a good signal that pinpointed big but I dug anyway. Out popped my second crotal bell and it's in super shape, ringer intact. Not a dent, scratch, or ding. :thumbsup: Well, that made my night. I also found clad, a domed button, and my final dig was a mule shoe. (just for Muleskinner :)) Coins are great but a nice relic is hard to beat.
I've also included a pic of my best relic from Sunday's brief field hunt, a suspender clip, pat. March 7, 1871.

HH and thanks for looking,
Michiganne
p.s. When I arrived to hunt I heard a Great-horned Owl screeching nearby. With my trusty headlamp on, I walked down the tree line until I found him perched in a tree on the edge of the yard. We watched each other for a while until he took off over the field. Very cool, as owls are one of my favorite birds. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• treasure 2009 144.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 144.jpgcomp.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 191
  • treasure 2009 143.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 143.jpgcomp.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 175
  • treasure 2009 141.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 141.jpgcomp.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 196
  • treasure 2009 140.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 140.jpgcomp.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 191
  • treasure 2009 146.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 146.jpgcomp.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 202

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! What is on the button? Love the bell! :)

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds. Night hunting is a blast!!

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveDodds said:
So what did you think of hunting at night? I tend to do it a lot. Not by choice either.
It was a lot of fun especially since the weather was so mild. Distractions were few so I did lots of digging. But I still wouldn't want to hunt at night without a partner in some of my more secluded sites.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike from MI said:
What is on the button?
It has little peen marks or dents all over it, no picture. I have found several like this at this site.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great hunt Anne! that bell is sweet! I still have not dug a whole one of those yet, and I love night digging, but have not come across an owl yet ;D

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Nice finds. :thumbsup: With the age of that crotal bell there has to be a couple of older coins there. Keep at it.
Wolverine.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Nice finds Anne, especially the crotal ball. Only found one so far, had a patent date of 1878, looks similar in size and design of yours. Kinda of nice to bang the dirt of of them and hear them ring after so many years in the dirt.
I was out detecting once and had a owl fly over me. It was a big one. Had to have a four foot wingspan. It was the middle of the day, just caught the shadow approaching out of the corner of my eye before it flew overhead. Thought a plane was gliding by, pretty impressive birds.
I give you credit for doing a night hunt, have not tried that myself. Of course here in the burbs I would probably get arrested or at least harrased.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Anne:
My hats off to you, you gotta love this hobby to do the night thing. I've tried it also, but agree, it would be best done with a partner.
One day or night I'm gonna dig a crotian bell. You beat me to it twice over. What a cool relic. Your onto a great spot, you go girl! No telling what else awaits you.
P.S. Thanks for thinking off me when you dug that shoe.
God bless
Muleskinner

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta give you credit for the night hunt Anne, I've only tried it once with a buddy. It would creep me out too much to be out there by myself. ffd

M

michigan michael

Nice bell Anne! I really like that suspender piece. Night hunting is awesome! I am a little on the clumsy side though so, I have to be careful. :laughing9: I bought a ball cap from lowes that has 3 head lamps built in the bill. Very nice hat. It has 3 light options. high beams, low, and all three lit at the seam time.

Congrats on an awesome hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread