New spot short story.

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

Hi all,

I was at my mothers going through an ebay lot of coins that I received and my step father came in and started asking questions. Apparently he found some coins of his own. He works for the railroad. During this past summer they were ripping up some rotted rail ties and replacing them when he saw a disc shaped item the size of a quarter. He picked it up and rubbed it on his shirt to reveal a standing liberty quarter. He started shoveling the stone and came across 3 more SLQ's 3 Buffalo nickels and 4 IH pennies. I asked him the location but, he wouldn't tell because he could loose his job if I were to trespass on the tracks. I told him I wouldn't do that but he still refuses to tell. He did tell me to check abandoned rails. I have not hunted tracks before so I do not even know if the ACE 250 could block out the Iron and trash. :dontknow: Anyone ever hunt old tracks? If so any success?

Thanks all Happy hunting.

~MM
Happy hunting everyone

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around railroad tracks is a great spot to hunt, I've made some good old finds near railroad tracks. I look in the areas where people have walked the tracks in or near towns and the wooded areas close by. 5 days ago my brother and I were hunting near tracks and he found a 1892S half, 1876CC seated quarter and 1877 seated quarter all in the same hole. The next time I get over to his house I'm bringing along the camera to take pic's of these coins and give everyone here a chance to look at them. The half dollar looks un-circulated except for a dent on the edge but it has all the mint luster that a brand new coin would have.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey magnet,

I have hunted tracks before. There is a lot of interference or noise around them from what I have seen. Think its due to the coal, or coal cinders. I have looked at the Sanborn maps in my area to see if any of the old train stops are accessible. Unfortunately most have been built over. You might want to check the maps in your area. Quite a a few of the tracks in this area have been removed for "Rails to Trails" recreation.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron might be tough, but near the old depots or other stops would be good!

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant056 said:
5 days ago my brother and I were hunting near tracks and he found a 1892S half, 1876CC seated quarter and 1877 seated quarter all in the same hole. The next time I get over to his house I'm bringing along the camera to take pic's of these coins and give everyone here a chance to look at them.
would love to see those pics.
I havent had much luck around the tracks b/c of iron and hot rocks, but others have, good luck. nearby wooded areas would be best I'm sure.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to bird hunt and fur trap along the RR tracks, been kicked out couple times. RR really strict on "no tresspassing". 30 years ago....as a kid didn't think twice back then. Be careful and if you don't have permission, hope you can run fast! ffd

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Giant056 said:
Around railroad tracks is a great spot to hunt, I've made some good old finds near railroad tracks. I look in the areas where people have walked the tracks in or near towns and the wooded areas close by. 5 days ago my brother and I were hunting near tracks and he found a 1892S half, 1876CC seated quarter and 1877 seated quarter all in the same hole. The next time I get over to his house I'm bringing along the camera to take pic's of these coins and give everyone here a chance to look at them. The half dollar looks un-circulated except for a dent on the edge but it has all the mint luster that a brand new coin would have.
That is an awesome story Giant. I may have to follow the old rails and see what I find.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

mcmich said:
Hey magnet,

I have hunted tracks before. There is a lot of interference or noise around them from what I have seen. Think its due to the coal, or coal cinders. I have looked at the Sanborn maps in my area to see if any of the old train stops are accessible. Unfortunately most have been built over. You might want to check the maps in your area. Quite a a few of the tracks in this area have been removed for "Rails to Trails" recreation.
I have seen some of those rails to trails. I was taking a photography trip with my wife and we came across one of those. I was thinking I should of drove the car with the detectors in it. lol. Are those fair game or protected? I seen a few historic plaque's so I was not sure. :dontknow:

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

fatsmahoney said:
do you have a password to use sanborn maps i cant get into the site
Hey fats try proquest and welcome

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Fistfulladirt said:
Used to bird hunt and fur trap along the RR tracks, been kicked out couple times. RR really strict on "no tresspassing". 30 years ago....as a kid didn't think twice back then. Be careful and if you don't have permission, hope you can run fast! ffd

Yeah and they are real hard since 9-11. They created Rail Police just for that reason.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Mike from MI said:
Iron might be tough, but near the old depots or other stops would be good!
Would it give your explorer any trouble mike? Just curious.
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread